Just got on this roller coaster

Liz13

Hi everyone. My name is Liz and I just got on this roller coaster last month. I am a 45 year old woman with Non small cell lung cancer. I am (was) a smoker for 30 years. Tried the patch, laser, hynotist, gum. Nothing succeded like lung cancer. Quit the day I was diaginoised. I have a lot of feelings about this. I feel scared, guilty, and lonely. I'm surrounded by people yet very much alone. I hope that this forum will help with this. I also feel lucky and very blessed to have been diaginoised. I didn't want cancer, but if I was going to get it, I want a fighting chance. And I certainly have that. I am young, strong, healthy and ready to do battle.

Welcome, Liz. Sorry you had to find out about us, but glad you did find us. Your situation seems pretty similar to mine (see my profile below). Last year at this time I was doing chemo and radiation and now I'm taking Tarceva once a day, feeling terrific and looking forward to beating the odds for many more years. Hang in there, take it one day at a time, and keep on fighting.

Trish

Welcome Liz- I am glad you found us. I see you are on taxotere. My husband found that drinking lots of water before-during-and after taxotere helped the muscle and body aches. I hope your treatment brings you a good outcome.

Rochelle

Welcome here Liz,

You rock girl, as you certainly have the right attitude. Put those gloves on and be ready to rumble... We will be with you every step of the way.

We are here for support, knowledge (ask us anything), and prayers if you need them.

Keep us posted and know that we care, and I am so proud of you that you are ready to do battle!!

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Liz,

Like you, I quit the day I was prelimarily diagnosed, May 21, 2003. Nothing motivates like terror.

I was slightly older than you, 47 yoa, and had just been through a breast cancer battle two years prior. The breast cancer was hard enough, but to be blindsided again almost did me in.

I think you've found a good place here with us. I always say that my doctors saved my life, but this board saved my sanity.

I had to take anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds and see a counselor regularly for about a year after diagnosis and during and after treatment. I learned through this board that those types of feelings are not uncommon and I think knowing these other great people here were having the same issues I was having gave me the courage to do something proactive to get my life back.

I wish the best to you in your treatment with this and you would do well to keep posting here......

Cindy

Hi and welcome Liz13,

So sorry for all that you are going through. You have come to a wonderful place for support, advice and good old fashioned venting :) !

I love your attitude, it will serve you well durring your treatment.

You are young, determined, so... kick the crap out of this b*stard !!

Sending you and yours my very best,

-Rod

Liz,

Welcome, you will find many here ready to help. You sound like you have got what it takes to beat this, attitude and fight. The tip on drinking water is good for any chemo, I try to drink an 8oz glass of water for every hour I am awake. I went through all of my treatment and never had a sick day. I think that is because I am so stubborn. They told me that I would get sick and loose my hair. So you can do the same thing. Let me know if I can help.

Stay positive,

Ernie

Welcome Liz. A lot of us here quit smoking the day we were diagnosed. But of course, prior to getting cancer none of us believed it would actually happen to us. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions. The group here is really great and they truly care. They have lots of first hand experience and they are willing to share.

Liz,

I see my wife has already responded. My treatment was the same as yours in the beginning except the the surgery. The daily (5 X a week) and the carboplatin/taxotere once a week (Wednesday) worked well for me. It was quite doable. The chemo would have me down a bit Saturday, but I managed to get out on Saturday night.

I too was a smoker, although I quit 4 years prior do diagnosis. I used welbutron to help me quit. It is also used for depression. It might be worth a try to make it a little easier. Talk to your doctor.

Good luck with everything. John

Hi Liz -

Well I quit smoking about 30 years before I was diagnosed with lung cancer - it doesn't really care who it chooses. Keep the "fight" attitude because it definitely does help. Fortunately I didn't need radiation, but I did have 3 months of chemo and other than the day I would get the chemo I always went to work.

I wish I would have had this place to turn to when I was going through everything. Believe it or not, you are lucky - you found this wonderful site at the beginning of your journey and I know it will help you.

Roberta

Liz,

Welcome. Like others have said I am sorry you had the need to look for us but so glad that you found us. There are many stories of inspiration here and many people that want to help, listen and learn. You have a great attitude and I hope you beat this thing back for good.

Nina

Welcome Liz. You have a positive attitude and that seems to be half the battle. My cancer was also deemed inoperable. Had all the radiation I could and seven weeks of carbo/taxol chemo. The folks on this board are wonderful, understanding, caring, helpful individuals. Lets us know how things are going.

Judy

Hi Liz,

Welcome to this place. We will surely help you through all of it. (except rides!)lol.

I am a lllB too. I had the taxol/carbo, taxotere/carbo regimen. It knocked the pis_ out of the cancer and me too. I also had the daily rad. tx. for 8 weeks. Smoked those little cancer cells.

With Taxotere, I lost a couple of toenails! Isn't that strange? Was good advice to drink lots of water. Eat eat eat! Very important to keep your calories up even if you don't feel like eating. Get some ensure or slimfast or something that is easy and nutritional for the times you may not feel like cooking.

Yes. You are young. That is on your side for good treatment recovery.

You can do it. We can help.

Cindi o'h

Thanks for all the wonderful responses. It looks like I have a few of you in this car with me. Amazing how close we were diagnoised together. Everybody hang on! We're going for a ride. Up to this point I have been staying a little nieve about what I have and what I'm doing. Self preservation, I guess. Needed to get a grip on the situation first without overloading on all the negative things out there. I went on a anti depressent and that helped stop the tears immediatly. Just started looking on the internet recently. I started driving again and that helped give me some sense of independence and I have an appointment with the radioligist tomorrow to discuse in detail my condition. I hope to have my life back under my control (as much as possible) by the end of the day. The one thing I've seen going through this site is there dosen't seem to be any rhyme or reason on why some people repond well and some don't. I think that's the scarest thing. Not knowing if it's going to work for me. I feel very lucky so far. I still feel good. I know that could change at any moment, but so far so good. My Doctor is great. He had me doing the swallow stuff and miricle mouthwash before I even started radiation and radioplex cream the first day. I still have the hoarseness, which got worse since I started and pressure in my throat. I have difficulty sleeping, but that has been happening since diagnoises. Mind just goes at a thousand miles an hour. That's about it for now (fingers crossed). Thanks again for all your support and I'll update you all tomorrow if I learn anything new from the doctor. Prayers for all of you, Liz

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the best support community for lung cancer survivors anywhere! This is a great place to learn about this disease, share your thoughts and feelings, and give and get support from others facing the same issues you are.

You have a great attitude, and that will take you far in your cancer journey! Remember don't pay attention to the statistics - you are an individual! There are plenty of survivors here who have beat those statistics and you can too! Hang in there and stay strong. We are all here for you.

God Bless,

Sharon

Welcome under the circumstances. My wife was 46 when diagnossed and tragically passed last Jan. I stay here to help everyone in this fight. You can not do it by yourself. The more friends and support you have, the easier the road travelled is. knowledge is power. Get a note book or pocket organizer for everything. every Appmnt, test,result, questions, and even answers. 95% of people suffer memory loss when naked in a doctors office :D Please Laugh at that joke!!. sending prayers and keep us posted!!!

Liz,

I'm sorry you need to be on this site but I wanted to welcome you. Since my diagnosis in June, the folks on this site have been awesome. It's great to be surrounded by people who care and understand what you are going through. Your attitude is awesome!!!

Lilly