To Saint Peregrine

RAY A

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favored with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you.

Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.

• 1 year later...

Thank you, Ray, for rattling my brain...

I remember when I was in high school, my parents made a big deal of taking us to Indian River, Michigan. There is a shrine there called "The Cross in the Woods". That was the first and last time I had been there, but could remember the feeling of awe at seeing this huge cross hit by sunlight as we stepped out of the woods...

It's a Catholic shrine - I'm not Catholic, so it was (to me) just a religious icon, a cross with a bronze Christ on it....

My husband and I toured a local college last winter, about the time you posted this, Ray. Marshall Frederick's work is displayed there - he's the artist that did the Christ on the cross. It, along with your post, put something in the back of my mind that would not leave me alone...

This summer, I took my husband and son to the Cross in the Woods. It's changed, it's not so awesome with the "woods" missing and the "new worship center" and I was disappointed. I had built it all up for my husband as he IS of the religion that the entire shrine was built for/by...and it just wasn't what I had remembered...but it is STILL awesome for a first timer. The cross is the largest crucifix in the world...

http://www.crossinthewoods.com/

...and the new thing for me to discover? St. Peregrine!

So on the day that we went, I bought a St. Peregrine's medallion and have been wearing it ever since. No, I'm not Catholic, but I think God would understand...and every little bit helps the mental battle.

Bless you, Ray.

xxoo,

Becky

My friend sent me a prayer card to St Peregrine 7 yrs ago , when she found out that I had lung cancer. I know he prayed for me. I now give it out to my friends that are afflicted. Donna G

• 2 weeks later...

When my brother was first diagnosed I along with another brother, my mother, father and my three daughters went to the shrine of saint peregrine at the Mission San Juan Capistrano. We went to light a candle and we all prayed. We all felt something special when we visited St. Peregrine. We went to the gift shop and we all purchased something to remember St. Peregrine. I bought prayer cards and a small statue for my mom. We all asked St. Peregrine for his intersession in helping my brother with his cancer, and I prayed for all the members of this board.

My brother that visited the shrine with me typed up the prayer (very similar to the one you posted), inserted a picture of St. peregrine and made hundreds of copies. He passed them out to friends and aquaintances who have loved ones afflicted with cancer. He also went to several local catholic churches and left stacks there. He was so touched by the life of St. Peregrine and to this day my mother prays daily for all those afflicted with cancer and continues to ask St. Peregrine for his intersession.

Thank you Ray for posting the prayer to St. Peregrine.