WATCH CBS NEWS TONIGHT 10 /26

Donna G

Yeah, but come on, guys, depending on the source, 70-90% of LC is smoking-related! So yes, emphasis should be on NOT smoking. Think of the decrease in all LC that could occur if only people would not smoke!

That said, I do also wish that they would not treat it as a smokers-only disease.

~Karen

We all know effective screening would lead to earlier detection and a higher cure rate. Unfortunately, people like me (and Lucie, BeckyG, Hebbie, Joe B, Tracy, et al.) would not be scanned for lung cancer. This news isn't anything new, the statistics listed (92% cure with early detection and surgery) aren't any different than what I originally read when I was first diagnosed. I didn't fall in the "early" category and the odds are a bit different...

MAYBE, more people asking for a CT will lead to insurance covering them for routine check-ups - but my guess is, not for a non-smoker. It's a step in the right direction, but nothing that would help someone who was just like me.

The story sure didn't match up with the "92% success rate" - made it sound like there was a new treatment available and a HUGE breakthrough...

I woke up around 230 this morning for a drink of oj and flipped on CBS. They weres discussing a new study about CT Scans and how it would help Early detection much like a Mammogram helps BC early detection. THere is an article in the New England Journal this month about the effectiveness of CT Scans and Lung cancer ealy detection, just released and being talked about quite a bit.

They had it on ABC news this am. Dr. Tim Johnson talked about the screening and when Dianne asked him whether he thought it should be done he replied personally, if he had risks, he would have one!

Donna G