?Off Tarceva/1st Alimta Thurs/ in alot of pain today/ UPDATE

kreed70

Hey all~

My mom is off Tarceva just got Alimta on Thursday 10/26/06 for the first time. Today she is having alot of pain in her back. The latest scan showed progression from T2 to T3 vertabre- which is why she was taken off Tarceva.

In your experiences, could the Alimta or any chemo "cause" worsening pain, hopefully, only to then make it feel better???

She was just prescribed Oxycontin and Oxycodone for pain by the onc as well.

Thanks!

Kelly

***************UPDATE 10/31/06***********************

Still in alot of pain yesterday. Called oncology nurse and after talking to onc. felt they that pain was due to overall fatigue and since she is laying/sitting these past few days and not up moving around much, that the muscles, joints are stiff. She will be going in on Fri. for weekly blood test while on chemo. Hopefully she will feel a little better by then. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kelly,

It should not make the pain worse - or necessarily better. Have you asked about radiation? When I had pain on my spine, they did 10 sessions of radiation and I was fine after that.

By the way, there should also be some pain killer given now - your mother shouldn't have to deal with pain.

Mary

"kreed70"]Hey all~

She was just prescribed Oxycontin and Oxycodone for pain by the onc as well.

Thanks!

Kelly

////////////

Kelly :

Oxycontin is a proprietary name for sustain-released oxycodone. Your mother must be taking both the sustain-released plus the immediate-release ( oxy IR ) for breakthrough pain with the sustained-release formulation labeled as Oxycontin and the immediate-release formulation labeled as oxycodone. If this is not the case, you need to clarify this with the prescribing doctor(s) in order to check for possible double dosing.

Bill

I've been on oxycontin and oxycodone since i was first dx. One for long acting pain control and the other for breakthrough pain, which I don't take, fortunately.

When I had progression on my hip and spine I had radiation done which helped tremendously. I did have a slight worsening of the pain before It felt better, but i believe that's how radiation works. It also kept getting better and better over time. I didn't have that with he chemo since I was already on the oxycontin for the pain.

Joan