Update and questions

Nancy B

This may be alittle long, so I apologize. I finished 6 weeks of radiation along with 6 weekly chemos of Cisplatin. After 3 weeks I started on Navelbine and Gemzar. Chemo No. 2, blood counts were down so got only a half dose of Gemzar with the Navelbine. Did not get #3 as blood counts are awful. The next week I have extreme SOB and pain in the chest area.

No chemo once again, sent for a ct scan and put on 30 mg of Predisone daily. This was yesterday, feel much better today, til the doctor called. They are concerned as there is something in the airway that is blocking the air to what is left of my left lung and causing it to deflate. I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow and they will do a bronchoscopy and use a laser or put in a stent to open this up. Not sure when this will happen. There is always a chance that it is a tumor, could be radiation scarring or ????

I am really nervous about this - this is my 3rd time around for lc. Has anyone been through this?

Thanks for "listening" and know that all of you are in my prayers every day.

Nancy B

(((Nancy))),

Praying for you, friend. I haven't been through lc 3 times and sure am sorry this is happening to you. Here's to the hope that it isn't cancer and the stent will be the remedy.

Guess with the low counts you haven't been feeling so great, huh? So I won't even ask that. Know you're in my thoughts and I'm sending special delivery all the good 'stuff' I got.

Kasey

Hi Nancy,

I've been wondering how you were doing, and am sorry to hear that you've got some low counts and sob and all that. I had Gemzar and I did have SOB during my chemo. That is a side effect of the gemzar, but I don't have any knowledge of airway obstructions. I had a bronchoscopy and they did it while I was under general anesthesia for my lobectomy, so I can't tell you anything more about it except that I spit up dry blood a little bit for a couple of days after surgery and that's what I was told it was from.

I didn't have a sore throat or any other side effects that I can recall.

I think scarring from radiation is always a possibility when you've had radiation to the chest.

Good luck, and I'll be giving you all my best thoughts.

Cindy

Nancy,

I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were. It sounds like you have been busy with all the wrong things. I am sorry about all the problems with chemo and now this obstruction. Hope it turns out to be scar tissue and can be stented for an easy fix. Keeping you in my prayers. Hope that soon you will be feeling like a vacation instead of another hospital visit.

Nina

okay, Nancy.

Was wondering how things were going for you. You have been a strong minded and busy girl. So proud of you for hunkering down for this one too. 'Course I haven't an idea of what comes ahead for you, but I am here to wish you the best outcome with the least amount of discomfort.

Go Nancy! Go! (that's a hot car!)

love,

Cindi o'h

Hi Nancy,

So sorry to see this post. I was also wondering how you were doing, I just wish there was much better news.

I feel so bad for all you are going through. You are a very brave lady. Just keep hanging in there, I know this will all work out with positive (good) results.

I am sending prayers for them to get this deflated lung thing taken care of so you can continue on with your chemo.

And yes, it could very well just be scarring tissue.

Please Nancy keep us informed.

Maryanne

Nancy,

Glad to see your post. Sorry you are having these problems. Broncoscopy, have had two, done by Pulmonary doctor under anesthesia no problems. Can a CT or PET show what is blocking the airway? have you considered Cyberknife if it's a tumor? I just had it to the brain in San Diego.

San Diego Cberknife. Great doctors there, Don M is familiar with this treatment...

Saying prayers for you each day! You are a strong woman, Jesus loves you and so do I. Keep on fighting and as Lance Armstrong says "Live Strong"...

God Bless and gentle hugs,

Karen