My mom just diagnosed with NSCLC-adenocarninoma

jille

Hi, My mom was just diagnosed this week with non small cell lung cancer- adenocarcinoma, stage IV. She is 66, and I am very sad about this. She is too young. She is the best "Granny" to my 4 kids! This has been a rough few weeks as they searched for the primary source of the cancer. It seems like she has been through every possible test this week, biopsies, MRI, CT scan, PET, mammogram, ultrasound, x-rays, etc. It's in several lymph nodes. She'll start chemotherapy next week. The drugs are Taxol, Avastin, Carboplastin. My siblings and I are doing everything we can think to be the best support to my mom. Each of us is taking on a piece of what needs to be done. My piece will be doing research online. I'm just starting, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, jille:

It sounds like your mom is getting the best of care -- excellent medical attention and, just as important, terrific family support. In this battle, attitude is key! You and your siblings are off to a great start, and I expect (hope) your mom is approaching this challenge in a positive manner as well.

If you look at my profile at the bottom of this message you'll see some similarities: same diagnosis, same combination of chemo drugs. One difference is that I'm Stage IIIB because the cancer is in two separate areas of the right lung and in the right chest wall; the lymph nodes are not involved (so far).

While a Stage IV diagnosis will certainly get your attention, you should know that there are many Stage IV success stories out there, including members of this group. Use the Search feature and you'll find some interesting reading. I'm also sending you a PM (Private Message) -- use the My Mail link to check your Inbox.

Best wishes and Aloha to you and your family.

Sorry you had to find us, Jille, but welcome to a great source of information and support. My immediate advice is to go and get a good binder and copies of all test results your mom has. Keep copies of doctors' business cards in there; prescription medicine names, strengths and doses, and patient information; and a calendar to track appointments. Its really helpful to have all info in one place.

Find out how long your mom's first chemo treatment will last -- probably 5 hours or more -- and have her pack a small meal plus snacks and plenty of water.

It all seems overwhelming at first, but once treatment starts, you'll fall into a somewhat comforting routine.

Good luck and prayers for your mom.

Trish

Now for the good news!! Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of Cancer. That means the most researched, and the most treatable. Ther is so much going on in the world that treatments are getting more toleratable, and working longer. There are also a lot of trials going on for this disease.

Just want to say welcome. THis is a bumpy road, and we are here to pave over as many bumps as we can find. You will get so much support and compassion and knowledge that you will be amazed. If you need help with research, let me know that is what I do here. I am moderator for new treatment and clinical trial forum so ifI can help drop me a Personal Mail. Check in about twice a day. I also host a General Chat, anything except politics, on tuesday nite at 8 PM Eastern time.

Prayers and big warm fuzzy blankets from the dryer for comfort. Keep us posted!!

Since your Mom is just starting her chemo therapy, you may have questions about the drugs and their side effects. Here is a link that might help answer those questions. When you have specific questions don’t be afraid to ask. There are lots of resources on the WEB and folks like our own Randy are very familiar with them and can point the way. Just remember, the statistics you find on the Internet, refer to populations not individuals. Most of those statistics are old and do not consider the effects of newer therapies (like Avastin). Prayers for you and your Mom.

http://www.chemocare.com/

There are so many survivors on this site, and so much information! Don't lose hope, and make sure your mom gets the best possible traetments and tests available! We are here for you at all times of the day and night.

May God keep you and your family in His care...

Welcome to the board. Your mom should drink lots of water before, during, and after her chemo. It will help a lot. Take a water bottle with you to chemo. Our cancer center has lots of drinks and snacks around for patients but until you know what's there- take your own. Avastin is a pretty easy chemo but the carbo and taxol will knock her blood counts down so you need to watch for fever- she may need a shot to raise them so she doesn't get an infection or pneumonia. Make sure you keep the kids away if they get a bug...good luck to you.

Jille,

Hi and welcome! The others here have given you some great advice already. I just wanted to tell you that I am also diagnosed with Stage IV Adenocarcinoma, and have had the same chemo drugs that your mom will get. I have done very well with this combo - very little side effects (I did lose all my hair though) and a great response (my doc says I'm in remission!). See my profile below my picture. The most important thing for your mom is to have a positive attitude! She has to believe that she can beat this disease and she will! Good luck to you and mom as you go through this cancer journey. We are all here to help in any way we can. I will be happy to answer any specific questions you may have about my treatment, just email me. Hang in there and stay strong!

God Bless,

Sharon

Jille

Hello and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your mom but as you can see, you hit a gold mine of information and support when you found us here.

Trish gave you some super advice with the binder idea. This is an overwhelming time and there is so much information being given to you right now that it is easy to get confused. Having everything in one place makes it a little easier.

As for the chemo, I cannot add much to what the others have already told you. The best advice I can give is to make sure your Mom drinks PLENTLY OF FLUIDS!!!! Dehydration is very rough.

Please keep posting, let us know how we can help and know that we will.

My best to you and your family

Chris

Jille,

It sounds like your mom is getting very good treatment. The treatment is similar to my own. Avastin and Tarceva are both targeted drugs and have had very good results when used with Carboplatin and Taxol. In three months my stage IV pleural effusion was gone. Let’s pray your mom has the same results.

Stay positive,

Ernie

Wow, thanks so much for all of the replies. I want to work on my profile, but that will take time to piece it together. I think for now I want to focus on researching the chemo and possible side effects so that we're ready for that. I also would like to know from those of you that have been diagnosed with lung cancer, what do you think I can do to be the most helpful to my mom? Thanks for any input. P.s. what is NED

NED is an acronym for No Evidence of Disease and it's the nicest thing a doctor can say to a patient.

It is important that your mom not loose to much weight during chemo treatments. You may want to keep a wide variety of foods available. Her tastes will probably change from one day to the next.

What can you do for Mom?? Anything she needs or wants of course :) Be there for her. take her to apptmnts, and keep track of things medically speaking. 95% of patients suffer short term memory loss when they get naked in a doctors office for a physical :lol::lol::lol: I love that Line :!: Remember yesterday, Ccherish today abd Prayer for tomorrow every day. Sending prayers and Big warm fuzzy blankets for strength and comfort.

Hi Jille and welcome aboard the greatest board on the net. Do for your mom what she wants or asks you to do but PLEASE let her do for herself what she can. I was able to stay by myself in my house in the country and tend to my horses, dogs and my cat throughout the entire process. Well ... almost I missed a few days when they managed to collapse my lungs. I learned to alot more time to accomplish what needed to be done to rest and nap in order to have the strength I needed. I truly believe that being able to take care of myself and get myself to and from treatments helped me through the process.

Judy

P.S. I did have someone take me to chemo because if I went alone they would not have included Ativan in my chemo coctail.

Hi Jillie,

Welcome here. You can see we are a great support group who is extremely knowledgeable.

Your docs seem to be taking care of your mom. Just be there for her and know the LC even stage IV is not necessary a death sentence. So get that out of you mind. Keep a positive attitude and encourge her that they are giving her the best treatment.

And Jillie, if that does not work there are plentty more. That chemo is doable and side effects differ for each person. My husband had the carbo/taxel combination and had miminal side effects.

He did have some neuropathy in his feet, (numbmess) you may want your mom to take 500mg of B6 and 1000 of B12, I heard that helps to keep the neuropaty away. We did not know that at the time. There is also all kinds of drugs for neaseau if she needs it.

Just so you know, getting the chemo that day is fine and she will fell good but maybe a little tired. It will hit in about 3 or 4 days after. She may feel flu like symptoms, this will pass in 3 or 4 days. Like you heard before, make sure she drinks plenty of water. That will get those toxins out of her syestem and keep her from becomming dehydrated.

They will also keep watch of her blood counts to make sure it does not go down too much. If so, they can give her a shot of medication for that.

Keep us informed and know that we are always here for you for infomation or support.

Maryanne :wink:

Hi Jillie!

Just wanted to add my welcome, and positive thoughts to the others! Sounds like your Mom has a very loving, and strong support system at home, too!! I'm sure with so many loved ones helping her kick booty - she will soon be hanging out with NED, too!! :wink::wink:

Keeping you & your in my prayers!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey