Kasey's article

KatieB

Article in Lancaster, PA, Sunday News, November 5, 2006 contributed by Kathleen (Kasey) Long.

Love your lungs

Approximately 174,470 people will be diagnosed with lung cancer this year; 162,460 of them will die.

Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States. It kills more than breast, colorectal, prostate and pancreatic cancers combined.

So why is it, asks Kathleen R. Long, of Lancaster, that lung cancer gets so little attention?

The lung cancer survivor noted, in a press release, that many of those diagnosed with the disease will say it is the stigma that is attached to it. The public might view lung cancer as preventable, simply a smoker’s disease, and give little thought to supporting those diagnosed with the disease to find more treatment options and a cure.

Everyone is at risk for lung cancer, Long said. It is no longer the cancer of old smoking men only. Studies reveal genetics and heredity, environmental influences and lifestyle choices are factors in who gets the disease. Young adults who never smoked are being diagnosed with lung cancer; and, perhaps because of her celebrity status, Dana Reeve’s recent death from lung cancer served as jostling proof to many people that no one is immune.

So what can you do to support lung cancer patients and survivors during Lung Cancer Awareness Month? “It isn’t as easy as buying clothing or donating a dollar at your local grocery,” Long noted. There are no ribbon campaigns or products that you can purchase that give proceeds to fund lung cancer research.

In fact, the ribbon color for lung cancer is “clear,” symbolizing an invisible disease, often difficult to detect in its early stages. In addition, Long noted, “clear symbolizes how the public has viewed those with lung cancer in the past – invisible.”

But, she added, things are beginning to change.

This month, lung cancer advocates throughout the country will work to raise awareness and funding for lung cancer research.

Lung Cancer Support Community (LCSC) is an online resource that supports those with lung cancer and their families. This year, the LCSC has organized a walk, “via satellite.” While the originating walk is happening live Saturday, Nov. 11, in Boston, Mass., people from around the country can walk to local parks or around neighborhoods to raise awareness about lung cancer.

Satellite walkers sign up, get a personalized fundraising Web page and solicit their friends, family and co-workers for sponsorship. Proceeds benefit the LUNGevity Foundation, which is dedicated exclusively to funding lung cancer research.

For more information, please visit www.lchelp.org/satellitewalk or call the LUNGevity Foundation at (773) 281-LUNG.

Wow, I am impressed Kasey gal! This rocks!

Unfortunately my paper gave a big no to my effort for a series of articles during LC awareness month :cry: -- but......can we plaigarize (sp?), (that would be copy....hehehe) yours for a letter to the editor quickly? Yours doesn't look like it needs much tweeking for a chance locally.

Just makes me angry when I know that my local paper has never given LC any note (long story there from what I know in my local research) either. I'll check back here as soon as I can....HUGE storm heading our way tonight and through tomorrow that may knock out power over the next couple of days (6 inches of rain expected in the next 24 hours alone and gale warnings are afoot). At least I might be able to regroup and salvage something quickly before the month is over if it's OK with you!

Hugs -- you did great!

Linda

Thank you, Katie. Hey Linda..........almost ALL of what I had published was our own Miss Katie's.......from her press release about Clear Ribbon ~ Invisible Walkers.

I sent to our 3 local newspapers, 2 of our local TV stations, PA's governor, and the Today show. There will be another article in our Tuesday evening paper with pics!!!!! I will BOTHER Katie to no end AGAIN to get THAT posted here!!!!

Thank you again, Katie! See you this weekend!

Kasey