First round chemo, what to expect now?

beat it

Well Folks we've made it to the first round of chemo. Started yesterday. Today my MIL feels better than she has since before this all started this morning. I think I have read this is common for first round in the first couple days, then does the fatigue hit? Around day 14 is the hair loss and neasua is possible thru out?

Shes 1 time every 21 days, Carbo/Taxol/Avatin. Stage 4 NSCLC.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Beat it!!

Glad to year you MIL is feeling good. She is on the same chemo as me, I will have my sixth round on monday.

My experience was felt great the very next day, crashed on the second day, tired for about 4 days, then fine. No nausea at all, make sure she takes all of her meds,prevention is key. As for hair loss, mine started coming out exactly 14 days after my first treatment and was almost entirely gone by the second treatment. The very day after my second round I went to my stylist and had what was left shaved off because it looked so ridiculous!

I have good results so far, lots of shrinkage. I hope and pray for the very best for your MIL.

Tracy

For John the fatigue hit about day 3 and he would just have to stay in bed. Make sure you watch her closely for fever- it is common for people to get pneumonia or an infection if the blood counts drop. I hope she does well with the treatment.

Rochelle

Eva,

This was my chemo regimen and I have had great results also. I felt fine until the third day after chemo. I had some pain in my lower legs that went away in about 4 days. No nausea, just make sure MIL takes her antinausea meds whether she feels sick or not! 14 days is about right for the hair to start falling out, but you are already prepared for that :wink: I am glad to see that her doc has put her on Avastin also. Let us know how she makes out.

God Bless,

Sharon

My mom was on a differnt cocktail, she had carbo/gemzar. She felt fine the first couple of sessions. Nausea hit a few sessions later on. The fatigue came in the middle of each session. Right when things hit rock bottom, it was about over :) My mom said all in all it was NOT as bad she expected at all.

I so appreciate your responses!!

It is helpful to at least try to see a little out in the future. I try really hard to help the family remain pro-active even if only with knowledge. I am very greatful for the good day she had yesterday. Smiles galore, but I know this is temporary. I very gently remind the family here and there with a nudge by reading one or two of these responses for instance. Cancer is such a roller coaster I guess I try to soften the crash after such a high, with out killing the high. Hope that sounds ok.

Sharon!! Yes we where greatful for your advice and actually today we are going to get her wig, my have they come soooo far with those!! Perfect colors and such an incredible match I was shocked. Good to do that while there is still hair to match!! Thanksgiving will be day 13..... but you know this fight can strenghten one sooo much, ironic, I suppose.

Well Thanks again to all who help me to learn and guide our family. I appreciate each and every response so much, I'll keep in touch!!

Beat it!!

Jon Renau are good wigs. They look and feel so real. They are synthetic, very light and comfortable good price too, 10/26TT is a good color, dark brown under with light golden highlights...very very natural. I have four in this color - Style is Gaby, love them. Bought them at maxwigs.com also have one Sammy. Like it too. I didn't pay special handling charge, got mine in 5 days...

Hugs and prayers,

Karen