Introducing myself

Charlie'sangels

Hi everyone, My name is Julie and my Dad is a 54yr old non-smoker that was recently diagnosed with stage III non-small cell adenocarcinoma. My family and I are so sad. He is our world. I am sure all of you understand exactly how we are feeling. He is in a clinical trial and is getting chemotherapy and velcade as a maintainence drug. My dad has been happily married to my mom for 35 years. He has 3 daughters and one grand-daughter. I am his youngest (22). I recently got engaged and will be getting married 1 year from today! I need him to walk me down that aisle. I am glad I found this site, I looking for some hope. I am a nurse and we are from Pittsburgh. Nice to meet everyone. God Bless.

Hello and welcome,

My name is Carol. I also was stage 3A andenecarcinoma. I had daily radiation along with weekly chemo (carboplatinum/taxol) for six weeks. At the end of that time I was able to have surgery.I had two more chemo sessions after surgery. I had surgery July 1st. I was back at work teaching high school at the end of August.I have been cancer free by the Grace of God since my surgery. It is not uncommon to have chemo to shrink the tumor before surgery. I hope and pray this is what happens for your dad. Hope this info helps. Your dad most likely will be here to not only walk you down the isle but to also walk his grandchildren to the park.

Welcome to the Family from down south!! Well North CArolina anyway :lol:

First off Tell dad thank you for the clinical trial. He is a pioneer and should consider himself as such. Nothing Less. Without people participating in Clinical trials, we would not be able to continue research. Without research, no new treatments or advances in a Cure, Vaccine, or new treatments. THANK YOU!!

Adenocarcinoma is the most researched Cancer. That is the good news.

The sadnesss and the tears will come for a while and then you have to put on the game face. This is not the end but a new beginning. Much fighting to do here. THink every day, "Die, Cancer, Die" and of course, "Kill the evil tumour" That is what we do here every day.

Get a small organizer note book with calendar in it. Keep all your Oncologist questions, answers, test results, appointments, questions and answers for us, anyhting you can think of goes in this notebook. Take it to all apointments.

Keep us posted. Ask away and we will answer away. Lots of knowledge, compassion and understanding here.

ASending prayers and Big warm fuzzy blankets for support

Hello and welcome!

As you can see there are so many wonderful people on this site, all willing to offer you advice and answer questions. It is also a wonderful source of hope and support.

Please read through the survivors forum as well as the good news. As Randy said, this is not the end, but the beginning.

Let us know how we can be of help and keep us posted on your Dad,

My best to you and your family,

Chris

Welcome to the board. My husband was stage IIIb when he was diagnosed over four years ago. I hope the treatment is successful for your dad and he is able to be there for your wedding. I know it is very hard on everyone at first, but it will get easier-- you will find the strength. Keep us posted on how he does.

Rochelle

Hi Julie and welcome to the board.

I am 62 years old. I have 4 children, boy, girl, boy, girl. My youngest is 22 years old also. I now have 2 grandchildren born since my diagnosis. It has been 3 years since my diagnosis and I am still doing ok. I am not sure what stage my cancer is, but I have had 2 recurrences. I hope to see that the cancer is gone again at my next scan. We all put a lot of stock in the second virtue, hope. So, I hope your dad's treatment brings him to a full remission and he walks down the aisle with you and enjoys his grandpahood.

Don M

Welcome Julie,

Already you see there are MANY stage 3a, 3b, and even 4 survivors here. Just read some of our profiles located under our names. Hold onto the notion that you dad WILL, indeed, walk you down the aisle. Many here will see you through this. You see I, too, am from PA. So an extra-special welcome.

Kasey

Welcome. So sad to hear about your Dad. I remember too well how devastating it was nearly 9 years ago when I was told I had lung cancer. I also am a nurse so I knew enough to really get upset. Keep us posted.

Donna G

Welcome, Julie. So sorry to hear about your dad. I was diagnosed Stage IIIB and with chemo and radiation, the cancer barely registers on PET scans. I have every intention of dancing at my 13 year-old's wedding and I'm sure your dad will be dancing at yours.

Praying that treatment goes well for your dad.

Trish

Welcome Julie,

I’m sorry your father has to go through the treatments, they are not fun. But I have no doubt he will be walking you down that isle. There are lots and lots of stage III survivors. I jumped from a stage I to a stage III and it just meant a tougher course of treatment to get my health back.

I second what Randy said, your Dad is now one of the leaders in the fight against cancer and his participation in a trial helps all of us.

I am very sorry to hear about your dad. I know how scarry and overwhelming it all is. My husband was recently diagnosed with adenocarcenoma stage IV. We still have alot of hope and with God's help he will be around for many years to come. The people on this site are very encouraging and informative. I encourage you to continue posting questions and seeking support. It has helped me alot.

You will be in my prayers

Cheryl

Welcome,

I had stage IV nsclc, diagnosed in July 2005. I was told that it was inoperable and there was no cure. I have been cancer free since November 2005.

It sounds like your dad is getting good treatment and I would not only plan on him walking you down the isle, I would plan on him greeting his grandchildren into the world.

Stay positive,

Ernie