Joels chemo /updated 11/13 & 11/14

Maryanne

I don't know if this would help, but after one of Ken's chemos (not sure which, Alitma?) he would get a Neupegen shot, once a day for 3 days. It's a weaker Nuelasta shot. I don't remeber them bothering him, but the Nuelasta was painful. If Joel still needs them may be the Neupegen would work.

Karen

Hi, Maryanne:

I am so glad that Joel is better. I'm sorry for all the pain he has had to endure, and I know all of this is hard on you also. You have been such a loving and caring caretaker for Joel, that I know it is what has helped him so much, having you help him.

Prayers that Joel will continue to feel better.

Barb

Thank you all for your support,

Today is a good day, he is back to himself and only took one pain pill the whole day, and that was actually from some pain he still has from the operation.

We just have to find the source of the pain, if it was the Neulasta or the chemo.

He does get fatigued..but that is to be expected for the chemo.

Maryanne :wink:

Maryanne,

Sorry for the delay in posting. Things are crazy here with radiation everyday and chemo once a week.

Mike had taxotere and is getting it again. He had some pain with that. Our first time with cheno, they added neulasta after a few rounds. He was in tremendous pain. He was working on the truck at his mom and dads with a friend of his and he called me to tell me that his friend was taking him to the ER. He was in so much pain, that he thought for sure that he broke something. He was hurting in his back and legs, so he thought that he had hurt himself bad trying to break a bolt loose on the truck. Well, come to find out, he did not hurt himself. It was the Neulasta. I was not with him, so he was going into detail about what happened and the longer we talked on the phone, the more he felt that it was from the Neulasta. I reminded him that was a side effect. (They tell you there will be pain, but they don't tell you that you will feel like you are dying or wishing you were dead.) The wait at the ER was hours, so he called his oncologist and he said it was probably from the Neulasta. He told him to take two vicodine and an 800 mg Ibupropen and wait a couple of hours and see if he got any relief. He came home instead of waiting there so he could lay down and rest. He soaked in a hot tub and then the pills kicked in and he was much better. He continued to take the ibupropen for about three days. The next time he had to get the shot, we started the pills before the shot and continued on them for a few days. He had some pain each time, but he never had that kind of pain after that. We tried to prevent it instead of getting it under control after the fact. He had to have the chemo and the shot, so we were doing whatever we could to get through. He did not have these side effects until they added the shot. I know what you went through. Neulasta kicked Mike's butt. He was scared to death and I was so upset because I wasn't with him, but it hit all of the sudden and he was fine before that.

I hope that Joel does not need them in the future, but if he does, start taking the meds before so that you can keep it under control. Let me know if I can help in any other way. I am praying for you all.

Hi Maryann....sorry I am late on this post...but happy to hear Joel is feeling better....prayers that he continue's to feel better and better...wishing you both a wonderful Thanksgiving....and to all the wonderful people on this board...Lots of bumps in the road but still a lot to be thankful for....God Bless All of You...PamS.