Brain Scan Today

justme2007

My mom is having a brain scan today. I've been reading online about life expectancy with brain mets and no treatment. Seems like we might be looking at no more than 3 months left now? 'm going to the oncologist appt with my mom and dad Tomorrow to talk about results of brain scan and prognosis. I'm scared but trying very hard to stay calm. I'm trying to get a lot of work done now so I can free up time as the weeks progress.

From what I've read, with brain mets (untreated)things can really deteriorate, as in loss of speech, movement, bladder/bowel control. I really don't want to see my mom that way, but I know it's out of my hands. The family was all together this weekend. My mom is so emotionally strong, I can't believe it!!! SHE reminds US to take it one day at a time! She is so matter-of-fact about stuff, and does not express fear. she is just trying to get things organized for her death and the holidays (from her bed). She has been very religious her whole life, so I'm sure she does not fear death. I'm sad for my dad b/c as he watches his wife die, he's learning how to cook for himself and do laundry for the first time. He has to bring her food, etc. Thank God hospice will help her with bathing, dressing, etc.

Thanks for letting me ramble! God bless,

Beth

Beth,

I'm only wishing the best for your mom. PCI for her is an option, it's not painful, I know of the various possible side-effects....my husband has done PCI for his initial brain mets and now w/ his reoccurance of more mets is doing a radiation type of IMRT - ( it's more 3D - slower, more accurate).

I know it sounds like your mom is just letting things happen on their own, but radiation can help her with her quality of life.

Please know I am hoping for the best for your mom.

Grace

Beth,

I may have missed a post, but has your mom refused

treatment??? A brain met does not mean the end. My

husband had a large 3.0cm x 3.5cm met crushing his brain stem

that the dr. treated with radiation. All of Alan's brain scans have been clear for a year now.

I am praying her brain scan comes up clear.

Well, at this point the doc believes the risk of chemo would outweigh the potential benefit. She has severe emphysema (1/3 normal lung capacity). In terms of radiation if there are brain mets, not sure what the doc will say about that tomorrow. My mom has suffered a very long time physically and emotionally prior to diagnosis. Even with oxygen, her mobility was very, very limited. She gasps for air with minimal exertion.

It seems that after the diagnosis, her mood greatly improved. I actually think she is relieved to know the end is near. I think she is at peace with her decision to forego treatment, and her family supports her because we can't stand to watch her suffer anymore.

Thanks for prayers.

Beth