GTKY - 11/14/06 - Filling in for Ann

ginnyde

My secret is DON'T EAT IT!!! I've watched my mom prepare her 'dressing' for too many years. When she makes hers she prepares a big ole COW TONGUE! My niece used to LOVE mom's dressing until she found out the ingredients. Somehow this discussion happened while in the hospital waiting room while my dad was having a heart angiogram. You can picture a quiet somber waiting room where everyone can overhear our discussion. And then all of my family laughing hysterically! And the people trying not to listen to our conversation laughing as well! Not your typical wait in the hospital waiting room!

Karen

I know just for fun, but I must qualify:

This is my first thanksgiving w/out Mom. But I have decided to do Thanksgiving (Me and mom's day) as painful as it may be. Mom's stuffing was the part of the meal that was the "big secret". ALWAYS IN A PAN!!! NEVER IN THE BIRD!!! Mom did not tell the recipe as she thought she'd make it to thanksgiving. I wrote her friend down the street, and sure enough, Mom helped her with her First thanksgiving, and thus had the recipe to pass onto me.

Here it is, and it is truly amazing, like Mom:

Randy's Thanksgiving Stuffing

2 packages Arnolds’ un-spiced stuffing

3 rolls Jones Sausage

6 eggs

3 large stalks celery, chopped

1 large onion, diced

Parmesan cheese

Poultry Seasoning

Salt & pepper to taste

Cook the sausage in a skillet until completely cooked, breaking up into small pieces as you go. Remove sausage leaving as much drippings in the pan as possible and set aside. Sauté onions and celery in drippings until onion is tender but not browned. Pour bread cubes into a large bowl and add sausage, drippings and sautéed onions and celery. Scramble your eggs and mix into stuffing. Add Parmesan cheese, pepper, and poultry seasoning. (You really have to get in there with your hands and kind of knead it all together.)

Note: This recipe is from my notes that I wrote down while on the phone with her. She didn’t give specific measurements for the cheese, seasoning or salt and pepper because she just added what she thought looked/tasted good. Before she got Celiac, she would taste it to see if it needed anything. She was, however, very specific about the Arnolds’ bread cubes and the Jones sausage—they were not to be substituted! When I make this stuffing, I add a little bit of chicken or turkey stock to it if it seems dry. It will depend on how much fat you get from the sausage. I think your mom may have used water.

OK, Here's my usual recipe:

2 packages Stouffer's seasoned stuffing mix

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped sweet bell pepper

2 packages sliced button mushrooms, gently washed

1 medium onion, coursely sliced

1 large can chicken broth (or 2 1/2 small cans)

Butter buds

Canola or olive oil for saute pan

Put approx. 2 tablespoons oil in skillet. Saute' onions, celery, pepper in a skillet until almost softened. Add mushrooms to the saute' until they are softened (basically until the mushrooms look like something you'd get out of a can). Set aside.

In a pot, bring chicken broth and butter buds to a boil (what you are doing here is substituting chicken broth for water and butter buds for the butter that the stuffing package directions are asking for in amount). Remove from heat and add stuffing -- wait 5 minutes and fluff with fork.

Once stuffing is ready, add sautee'd veggies and mix together well. If mixture seems on the dry side, add more chicken broth (want the stuffing really moist but not soupy). Put mixture in greased/oiled 2 quart casserole (I usually need two 2-quart casseroles for this....1 baked on Thanksgiving and one baked a day or two later with leftovers). Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour. Really yummy.

I always have cooked my stuffing separate from the bird.

All that said, this year I'm getting a catalogue bird which is coming stuffed!!!! hehehe. Trying something new and just don't want to do as much cooking as usual this year for company.

Linda

Nick that sound delicious and so easy. I may just try that. I don't do Thanksgiving my sister (this year her son) but that sounds good just to make whenever.

Thanks for sharing that. That will have to go into the 3rd cook book from here.

Maryanne :wink:

I made my own for at least 25 years and then one year was short of time and bought Stovetop or Pepperidge Farm and added a few twists - chopped apples/ raisins/cranberries or whatever I find in my pantry - it was such a hit that I've not done it from scratch since.

I have to admit though that I sometimes want the real thing, it just seems too much trouble now!

Geri

Ahhhh the secret!! Mine was simple add a little garlic and a jalapeno and of course my beloved Oyster's. But sadly since my wife is no longer here it will not be the same with out her yelling at me that other's will want some too so make some with out my added ingrediant's...... Larry

My secret is to let my brother do it--I help by cutting up several loaves of bread the night before so it can get crunchy. I use an electric knife to cube the bread. The more, the better. I just LOVE stuffing! When I was a kid, I would make stuffing sandwiches. Imagine the carbs!

:) Kelly

Boy I cooked so much for the holidays. Each year I tried a different stuffing. My brother made the very best and after he died my sister in law picked up on it. My mother in law always made the stuffing for the family when she was doing the holiday dinners. When I started each year I would try something different. Never did really get one that I wanted to have for mine. So I guess I would have to join the Stove Top crowd.