Xray findings Help Needed

enyaw061032

I had an xray last week that said: There is increased opacity within the right lower lung field. Small modular densities are suggested within the right mid lung field. There is also approximately a 2cm nodule right paratracheal area.

Can anyone please tell me if you know anything about these type results from an xray?

I had an xray in July that was clean; this just 4 months later.

I am very, very, very worried, to the point where I can hardly think of anything else.

Next week I do a catscan and meet with the doctor to go over the test results.

I'd sure appreciate your comments or advice.

Barb

Barb,

Try and hang in there until you talk to the Doctor. I know this is sooooo hard -- but don't go jumping to conclusions yet! My husband always said, "I don't have cancer until they tell me I have cancer!"

We're here and understand your agony over ?????'s on reports. This was just an x-ray, wait for the catscan and Doctor.

Try to be brave -- we're here.

(((HUGS)))

Welthy

"enyaw061032"]

I had an xray last week that said: There is increased opacity within the right lower lung field. Small modular densities are suggested within the right mid lung field. There is also approximately a 2cm nodule right paratracheal area.

Can anyone please tell me if you know anything about these type results from an xray?

I had an xray in July that was clean; this just 4 months later.

I am very, very, very worried, to the point where I can hardly think of anything else.

Next week I do a catscan and meet with the doctor to go over the test results.

I'd sure appreciate your comments or advice.

Barb

////////////

B :

The " increased opacity within the right lower lung field " can appear on CXR as a result of various conditions such as infection, inflammation and fluid accumulation.

Good luck.

B

HI Barb,

You sure have had your share of dilemmas. I could imagine how scared you are especially since you had LC a couple of years ago and had the operation.

But please do not jump to conclusions, it could be many things. Let'ts to see the results of your test.

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Please know that we are always here for you and you are never alone.

Sending prayers for good results. Remember it could be a number of things.

Hang in there.

Maryanne

Welthy, Bill, and Maryanne: Thank you so much for your posts. I know each of you have your own problems, and send my prayers and love that all will get better for all of us. This savage beast won't leave us alone, so we just have to keep fighting it with all our might. Welthy, I know that you have been in the valley and on top of the mountain with your own lung cancer problems, and send prayers that things will stay stable; Bill, thanks for reminding me this could be something else possibly; and Maryanne, as always, you are such a loving and caring person, and I pray with all my might that your husband stays stable.

Love and prayers to all of you

Barb

Hey Barb,

I'm with the others. Do whatever you have to do to make it through until you get the CT scan and those results. Based on the xray report, you don't have much - those findings may or may not be cancer. Try to hang in there until you know for sure. I'm praying for the CT to be negative.

God Bless,

Sharon

Thanks for your post, Sharon. I'm trying to hang in there and wait and see. What a savage beast this is and changes our lives forever in some ways. I know I am not the same person I was before lung cancer. I was free, spirited, happy, and not a care in the world; after lung cancer, the biggest part of my time is spent either on the cancer boards, researching although I don't know enough to even interpret what things mean; I get anxious over the least little thing; my legs hurt, my feet get numb, my hips ache, nerve pain all over the place, and the worry of it all. I know I need to get a life and quit so much worrying, but this savage beast takes its toll on me and many others.

Thanks so much, Sharon. I will try to wait and see.

Barb

Hi Barb, What a creepy game, this wait and see.

Who knows what this is...let's hope it is nothing. But I would be sure to get appts in place now to review the CT report with the lung doc or surgeon. Because I can almost guarantee you the radiologist report will be the usual CYOA document they are so found of generating. :)

My onc doesn't read CT's scans herself and I have so much scar tissue the radiologists go wild on me. It takes a visit to lung doc or surgeon to get honest opinion.

Prayers,

Barb

Thank you both for your posts of encouragement that it could be scar tissue or something else. I go get the cat scan after lunch (l:00 PM), and then on next Tuesday have appt with doctor surgeon to go over report. I WILL NOT READ IT THIS TIME, CAN'T TAKE THE WORRY and don't really know what all that medical stuff means.

Barb

I had my doctor's visit and the cat scan confirms that there is recurrent lung cancer, on my right side, and several other spots are probable. My doctor said he could not operate again. I am waiting for results of my PET scan. Needless to say, I am terrified, petrified, and so down over this.

Thanks so much to all of you--your support was and is so appreciated.

Barb

I was able to get a copy of what the cat scan shows, which says:

There is a hilar mass noted on the right side. An additional mass is seen in the right upper lobe posteriorly associated with some peripheral infiltration. Pulmonary nodule densities are also present. Effusions are seen. Scattered pulmonary fibroic changes are noted. There is evidence of a small mediastinal mass or adenopathy is seen in the right patratracheal area as well. The upper abdomen shows no evidence of metastic disease.

IMPRESSION: THERE IS EVIDENCE OF RECURRENT NEOPLASTIC DISEASE WITH HILAR MASS, PULMONARY NODULAR MASS IN THE RIGHT UPPER LOBE AND PARATRACHEAL MASS OR ADENOPATHY ON THE RIGHT.

Can anyone PLEASE help me interpret how bad this is? The doctor was very brief and simply said: "It looks like your cancer is back, and you will die from lung cancer, I don't know how long, whether a year, or what." He then said he could not operate again (remember I already had surgery on the right upper and middle lobes.

I am just so terrified.

Thanks,

Barb

I am so very sorry to hear this, Barb. I have absolutely NO expertise here, but wonder if you have considered getting another opinion???? This doc does not appear to be very informative or compassionate. It may not change the outcome, but may make the journey a better one to be on. And remember, many here have had recurrences are are still here living a pretty good life. Do not despair at this point!

Kasey

Barb,

I'm with Kasey,find another doctor. The one you have sounds like my first oncologist. My brother and I called him "Dr. Death". I found another doctor fast - and just to let you know I am almost one year out from diagnosis, and my current doc says that I am in remission! I am praying for you Barb, go find another doctor!

God Bless,

Sharon

geez Barb,

I am swearing a blue streak at your doctor...! Can you hear me from way over here! I am turning purple. What an a-hole.

Get a different doctor. What a creep.

You deserve better. Lookit all who continue to thrive with recurrences here. Fire that b*stard.

(sorry about the news on the scan)

Cindi

Hi Barb, What kind of doc can tell any of us what we will die of, and when no less? Who is he, God?

And all of this with 100% certainty and w.o. even a biopsy specimen or PET? Does he actually read the scan films himself, or just rely on radiologist report?

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. Cindi is right. Get mad and get very motivated to move on to another doctor and/or medical institution.

Barb

We are on our third oncologist. The first one was extremely negative and lacked in personality. The second was so so -- but the third time was the charm. I really think the reason John is still here is because of this man. He is always one step ahead-- very open, very positive-- you need someone to fight for you and give you a game plan along with the bad news. I hope you get a second opinion and find someone aggressive. Good luck.

Please get another opinion I do not know where you live I know that there are oncologists out there with superior bedside manners compared to what you have.My friends mother who has lung cancer has very good results and really trusts the oncology department at morristown memorial in morristown nj, they have two teams of oncologists bothe teams are highly respected. If you have any questions plesae feel free to contact me my cell# is 732-489-4640 I live in the middle of alot of great treatment centers and unfortunately have had quite a few friends go through these treatment centers.

Rob

Hi Barb,

We also had 2 Dr's tell us my husband had one yr to 18 months to live. Then we go to UCLA (third opinion) and they are saying it may not be cancer....

All this to say....get another opinion...especially if someone is telling you "you will die"....

Who are they to know that....

I will keep you in my prayers...healing energy...and peace sent your way...

Love,

Tracey Huguley

Barb,

Good for you! Another Doctor sounds like a good plan to me. I imagine he was trying to be realistic, but wow, what a creep. Get a Doctor who will be very aggressive with your treatments. Challenge him, question him, or whatever you need to do to feel comfortable with treatment options. You have a great resource here at LCSC to know if the Onc. is being aggressive with treatments. Read people's profiles to see what they have done. We have been very fortunate with our one and only oncologist, he has always pushed the envelope with Tony's treatment. I did let him know up front that I would always be the proverbial 2-year old asking "why?" and he was good with that. :D

Best of luck and keep us updated on your PET.

Welthy