endoscopic ultra sound for lymph node position

David W

I'm having a procedure in two hours called an endoscopic ultra sound. This is the result of meeting a thoracic surgeon during a 'second opinion' last week. The pictures will tell if my affected lymph nodes are too close to the esophogus to consider surgery. My onc had not offered this as an option,"always get a second opinion". Has anyone else used this procedure as a diagnostic tool? I've not seen it discussed.

Connie B had an endoscope cardiac Echo to evaluate a tumor that developed on her left atrium. I imagine it is the same test ( you swollow a scope) except which was they turn the ultra sound to get their image on the screen. Same technology they use to view babies in the womb. I hope you will be able to give us the results soon, they may give you "I don't care medicine" for the procedure, you may need some one else to drive you home today, did they say? Good luck hope they get the needed inform. Donna G

Thanks for the warnings about seeding! The doctor gave the same warning,however, biopsy was not necessary today. The results show a 2 cm space between tumor and esophugus, meaning I'm operable now. Without any change to the plan, I'll have two more full strength carbo/taxol treatments, scans to look for any mets outside the chest, then surgery followed by aggressive radiation. This all sounds like good news to me. Anyone care to disagree?

DW

No disagreement here! Glad you didn't have to have the biopsy and that you are a candidate for SURGERY. Yippee!

Ain't it a convoluted world when we rejoice in your being able to be sliced and diced???? :roll:

Sounds like you are going for the whole nine-yards and I admire you for it. Will keep best thoughts rolling your way!

Glad to hear you are operable, hold on tight sounds like the same treatment I had, raidation kicked my butt, but good! Not to worry if you haven't lost all your hair you soon will, I actually like that aspect, wash head with a bar of ivory no need to comb or brush it. Take care friend!