I'm Burning My Wig!!!

trish2418

I have an appointment to have my hair done tomorrow! I haven't been able to say that since September of last year.

For some strange reason though, chemo has made my hair turn grey (really more silvery, whitey, with some of my natural ash brown thrown in. Yuck.). It has to be the chemo. It couldn't be that I'm pushing 50 and menopausal with a 13-year old daughter who insists upon acting like a teenager. No, not that at all.

Anyhow, the question becomes: to dye or not to dye?

I've heard different theories -- not a problem, stay away from amonia and peroxide, and don't even think about it.

What have the rest of you done? Do you proudly strut your new hair color or do you hit the bottle? Any problems encountered down the road from hair dye? I forgot to ask my onc this burning question and I don't want to bother him right before the holiday because I'm sure he's swamped.

Life is good when this is my biggest concern.

Trish

I think this certainly does call for a BIG celebration!!!!! I remember when I first 'came out' with my own new hair! I never knew what color mine really was anymore until then. It was ugly gray.........not that nice silvery shade. So my hairdresser said she could color the shortest of hair and so that's what I did. I didn't have great hair before and now it is drier and frizzier and I must use a ton of products........but it's all mine.

I would love to be the first to buy you a celebratory drink of your choice. Hurray!

Kasey

Hi Trish, I had student who had very fine straight hair before chemo but it came back super curly after chemo. :D

I used to dye mine but stopped when my cousin got bladder cancer. IT is a crummy cancer too...her choices were to have bladder removed orto to try to kill the tumor by holding a chemo/bleach solution inside her bladder which she said really burned. I think there is some new research to suggestion hair color can cause bladder cancer.

So I'm going pure gray. I figure who cares, as long as I am alive and can still pee. :D

Barb

Hi Trish,

I totally remember the first day I went without my wig. My head was freezing, but I didn't care one bit.

I was also unsure of what to do, but it didn't take me long to decide to color my hair. I've been doing it now for over a year and what really makes me happy is when I need a haircut!

Congrats.

Joan

i stayed gray more like salt and pepper with white streeks in the frount

i didnt dye my hair i want to grow older gracefully and dont want to look like an old lady with painted hair

i however have had a few hair cuts but i am growing my hair now the longer the better

i have noticed since i kept my gray that i get a whole lot of respect out in public

like people holding the door

offering help to my car

stuff like that and ya know what i like it!!!!!

good luck with what ever you decide

Why not go for the temporary stuff called shades? You can pick a color and it will wash out eventually if you don't like it. You can then play around with different colors and see what you like. If you don't like it- it doesn't last. I put it on my hair in the winter-- I will go from dark brown to reddish brown and then in the summer I let go light again.

I think a wig burning would make a nice ritual. Being a man, I never worried much about losing my hair. As it turned out I did not lose much. It did thin considerably. I noticed that it grayed considerably after my first chemo. I really like the idea of some sort of end of treatment ritual or good scan news ritual. I am hoping to get good news in 3 weeks. Maybe I will buy a bottle of wine and toast my (I hope) my good news with my wife.

Don M

Congrtats! I was so thrilled for my mom when she was able to shed her wig. She has two wigs that she put away and hopes to never see again. She hated wearing the wigs, they were hot and uncomfortable. She was lucky to be done with the wigs in June before summertime.

Seeing Mom wearing the wig was an awful reminder of lung cancer. Going "au naturelle" gives a sense of returning to normalcy. Good luck to you.

My hair just thinned a lot and I never lost enough for a lot of people to notice.

I colored my hair, before, during and after treatment both times for cancer.

I personally don't belive that hair color causes tumors and plan to continue to color my (mostly gray :shock: ) hair until I decide not to anymore, which I think is going to be a long time from now!!!!! :lol:

I say do what makes you happy. Geez, you lost all of your hair in the battle with this disease, now that it's coming back, make it look like you want!

Cindy

I'm all for COLOR! :D:D:wink: I'm 11 years out from when I was dx.d and I believe in COLOR, Brown, blond, red, ash blond, etc., etc,. Whatever makes you FEEL GOOD then you go girl! :wink: Life is toooooo short, live it to the fullest and ENJOY! Look Good, Feel Good!

I know lots of long term cancer survivors who believe in COLOR!

(((((((((((((((((TRISH)))))))))))))))

Hi Trish,

Great news that you don't need the wig anymore. Do whatever makes you feel good. Maybe you may want to have it frosted so you can still have the gray and another color with it. That way you don't have to dye it too often as if it is frosted you could wait for it to grow out in more time then in less. Don't know if you know what I mean.

Anyway good luck on whatever you do send a pic so we can see.

Burn baby burn

Burn that wig

Burn baby burn.... :D

Maryanne :wink:

Trish,

congrats. After the first 6 rounds of chemo and my hair was still there, idecided to color it. I have read some articles on the internet that stated it was color dyes from several years ago that were suspect due to certain ingredients that are no longer used in dyes.

Lilly