Thing # 313,490,091 that I still need my Mom for:

Treebywater

To remind me to thaw/defrost the turkey the day before cooking it.... I just got it today(we've had some nasty power-outage storms lately, and didn't want one going bad in my freezer), and if I hadn't been scouting through turkey calculator websites, I'd have totally forgotten. It's only our second time doing the whole sha-bang at our house, and last time she was with us. :(

Let's hope the bird thaws....

"Quick" Thawing:

Place turkey in its original wrapping in sink and cover with COLD water. Change the water every 1/2 hour to maintain the temperature. Allow 1/2 hour per pound to defrost the turkey. Most turkeys will take from 5 to 10 hours to thaw.

From: http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/egg/e ... pter3.html

Oh Val, I can so relate. Every day there is something I need to ask my mom. My sisters and I were tearing our hair out last week trying to figure out how my mom made her stuffing and where to buy the rolls she always got. Last Thanksgiving is when we noticed Mom was feeling run down...and this Thanksgiving I sat next to her empty place at the table with my two-week old baby in my arms. It was surreal.

This next month will be especially hard on all of us with the holidays...hang in there.

Big hugs.

Hi Val,

By the time you read this Thanksgiving is over. I just know that everything turned out fine for you.

Let us know how your dinner went. I want to get this vision out of my head of everyone eating frozen turkey :shock:

Maryanne :wink: