New and so scared

Robin

I just found out I have a mass on my left lung. I go to the pulmonary doctor on Thursday and rom there I guess he will set up to get a biospy. I lost my father,my fathers only sister and my grandmother all with in 5 years due to lung cancer so I have little faith. I am also very tiny and not in to good of health so I am not even sure I could tolerate chemo. I am staying in tears and just about sick over this. thank you for listening. Robin

Robin,

I know it is hard waiting and not knowing, but until you have all the results of the test there is no need to worry. When you get more info let us know. There are a lot of survivors here that can encourage you. One of my favorite verses and sayings is Mathew 6:27 “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” Keep us posted.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Robin, hang on - there are lots of us on here that can help you through this. Just give us more information when you get it, more about your diagnosis, what type of lc, etc. Mine have all been in the left lung also. We have all been through this and are plenty willing to do anything we can to help you.

Take care and you are in my prayers tonight.

Hugs,

Nancy B

Please do me a favor and Look through the Good news Forum and the LC Survivors Forums whil eyou are waiting for the results. I do believe these forums will lift you spiritually and help motivate you. I do not know when the members of your family passed away from this disease but please accept my condolences and accept prayers for strength and courage. Also the Inspirational Forum may ease your nerves. Do this whhile waiting. It is ok to be scared but you have to get past it to begin fighting this disease. If you show fear you may lose sooner than if not. Do not let the fear Run your life with this. Prayers and support tonite and let us know what happens when it happens and we will start fighting this with you.

Welcome to the terror, Robin. Terror is the first emotion I felt when the shock wore off - the shock of the diagnosis after my biopsy. There are other things that can lead to a mass in the lung, sarcodosis, for one. You DON'T necessarily have lung cancer, don't put the cart before the horse.

Deal with what is so far, don't jump to conclusions.

As for thinness and health, etc., IF you end up on this side of the fence, we'll work on changing your perspective. You don't have control of what is going on in your body right now, but you DO have control of how you react to it. Try to stay on the positive side, day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute. Take the big uglies and cut them into pieces, don't try to swallow it all at the same time.

My fingers are crossed that this is just a lung infection and you have no reason to return. If it is a "critter", you couldn't be in better company.

Welcome,

Becky

Hi Robin,

I have my first ct scan on wednesday of course I am nervous and scared but I really can't worry to much the spot on my lung could very well be scar tissue it doesn't take much to cause scar tissue on a lung a bad cold, the flu, a bad cough. Anyhow I know that it is hard waiting just try to find something that you enjoy doing to relax until you get the facts. Anyhow I wish you the best and am sending alot of positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Rob

Hi Robin.

I can relate to that feeling of fear and devastation...my dad was just diagnosed a few weeks ago, after seeming to be in very good health. I think that the first few days are the hardest part...all the waiting between appointments gives you the time and the opportunity to imagine the worst.

I am glad that you have found this board, and I will echo what has already been said. Read the many encouraging stories of the survivors on here. There is so much HOPE here and so much encouragement...I have found it to be a tremendous source of comfort over these past weeks.

I know what a frightening time this can be, and I will be sure to keep you in my prayers.

-Stephanie

Hi Robin,

I'm so very sorry to hear you have the need to find us, but I am also pleased that we can be here for you.

Your family history sounds somewhat like mine. I lost my dad (age 54), mom(age66), & my sister(age 43) all to lung cancer. Then at the age of 43 I was diagnosed 11+ years ago with late stage IIIB Adnenocarcinoma lung cancer, and well...... Here I AM still kicking today! :wink:

I am sorry for your losses, but you really do need to know that this disease is treatable and or doable for MANY OF US! There really are many many many MANY long term lung cancer survivors out here. For some odd reason most lung cancer survivors don't want to talk about there Survivorship. I think is part it may have to do with the fact that lung cancer is always connected to smoking, so right off the bat when we are dx'd most of us that did or do smoke feel guilt and blame ourselves for our disease. But, I won't go into all that.

Right now you just need to take a deep breath and settle in right here at LCSC and let us walk this walk with you. (((ROBIN))) You will find some GREAT support here and wonderful medical information.

Keep us informed as to how things go for you.

Hi Robin,

Welcome. Your fear is understandable, but try to keep it at bay until you have a definite prognosis.

Many of us who have been diagnosed have responded quite well to chemo, i.e. minor side effects.

Please keep us informed. We all wish the best for you.

Mary

[Robin] ...I am trying to take one day at a time until the doctor finds out what this mass is on my left lung.

Robin:

Compare this post with your first, and you'll see you've made good progress already, in less than a day! Your biopsy could well be negative, but if it's not, you won't find a better group to join with you in meeting this latest challenge. Attitude and expectations are key. That's not just an assertion or belief -- there's recent scientific evidence that ties one's expectations to the release of specific chemicals which aid health and healing.

On top of that, recent advances in cancer research have made it possible to effectively treat conditions which a few years back were practically an automatic death sentence. The statistical survival rates you may read or hear about are nothing more than history. Medicare may want them before deciding to cover a new drug or procedure, but they have little relevance to the outlook for you or me right now, today. When I received my Stage IIIB diagnosis in September, I never asked my oncologist, surgeon, pulmonologist, or any other physician "what are my chances" or "how many months," and to their credit none of them offered those statistics. To this day I don't know and I don't care. Instead, they all picked up on my approach, which is to determine the best treatment for my condition right now, today.

Keep us posted -- we'll help you work through this. Best wishes and Aloha.

Welcome Robin. It is one scary ride, yes? I hope you got the xanax and ambien on hand...your family doc can order them up pronto for you.

Best of luck on Thursday. Listen to Don....there's a chance this is false alarm and even if it comes back positive, there is always good chance they caught it small and early.

Prayers,

Barb

Hi Robin,

I think you got good advice from so many people here. We all have walked in your shoes either the victim of this terrible disease or a caretaker. But please know that this could very well be benign.

There have been people in the past who were just like you and found out it was benign. So lets now jump to conclusions.

But if it is not then you have a wonderful support system in us. We will be with you every step of the way. LC is not a death sentence like it use to be, there are so many new treatments now of days.

If you have any questions ask away as we are a very knowledgeable family here. Also as you see we are very supportive of our members.

Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Maryanne

Welcome Robin. I was like you upon diagnosis as far as my health and weight situation. My onc told me I had to eat anything and everything I could get my hands on in order to put some meat on my bones. That was about 6 months ago and during my chemo treatments and my radiation I did manage to put on about 20 pounds. Right now I am at the highest weight in my life and plan on staying there just in case. Try to think positive and remember attitude is everything.

I am praying for you too Robin I am also newly diagnosed and have had my frist chemo which wasn't so bad just got me really tired. Try not to worry so much I know that is so hard, because I worried myself sick until I found out what we needed to do and I found this forum the people here ane the best, so you keep coming in and writing ya hear.

God Bless you and huges hugs Robin

Debra A.