What is terminal cancer?

At what point is it considered terminal cancer? I am trying to get Daddy on SSI disability (he hasnt worked since Sept) and state insurance since he was sel-employed and has none. THe general time for both of these is 6 months, I called and told them the situatio, and was told that if the DR determines it is terminal cancer , he can be approved within 30 days.

Of course, I dont want to her that he has terminal cancer, because it just sounds plain ugly! But, if thats what he has I need to know so we can get him some health coverage ASAP!!

Thanks

Hello

Your dad's doctor should be able to write a letter that will get the approval for SSI disability quickly. Because your Dad has distant metastases, he is stage IV, and this condition is considered 'terminal'.

Of course, there are many people with stage IV lung cancer living much longer than doctors would have predicted (a quick scan of lchelp will show you this!) :):wink: .

Hope this helps,

Karen

Think of it this way--terminal only means that the cancer is likely to be the cause of death. It doesn't mean it will be--doesn't men it will happen soon. Our doctor wrote on my husband's SS paperwork that the cancer is terminal-- that was 4 years ago.

As scary as it sounds cancer is usually considered terminal. Research right now is to get it to a stage considered a Chronic Disease, but you can live with it Like Diabetes. You live with it. Then ther is a curative outlook also. Tarceva for stage IV is kinda like chronic. You treat it and live with it rather than die from it.

Again, I wasnt able to talk to the Doc, just the nurse. SHE says it isnt considered terminal unless it isnt responding to treatment. So how do I get them to write it as terminal so he can get approved. I got a letter today and it details his diagnosis, but the word terminal wasnt there. According to SSI it HAD to say terminal!

Talk to the doctor, not the nurse. Any stage 4 cancer will be approved for disability by the SS. Actually, I think all you have to do is contact the

SS and fill out an application on line and tell them who your doctor is. They contact the doctor to find out the stage.

Don M

Don't go through the Drs office as Don said. You can

either call S.S. (Which I did and they were a great

help), I made Alan's appointment over the phone, had

a face to face meeting with someone in our local S.S office and Alan had his 1st check 4 weeks later. Alan

is Extensive Stage SCLC. The lady who help us at S.S

told us cancer patients go to the front of the line for approval.

Prayers for your family.

SS decides if he is qualified or not. The paperwork is requested from the doctor by SS once you have applied to SS. If SS has additional questions about the condition, they will do an examination themselves. You can always appeal a denial from SS anyway and from what I understand, most people are turned down the first one to three times. I think it is usually a little easier to get approved for it when you have a cancer diagnosis though as opposed to a mental health issue or something. YOu are supposed to be considered disabled for 1 year +

1 day to qualify for disability and it is also predicated on how much has been paid in over the lifetime. My husband was just approved and the letter did say that you have to be disabled for 5 months before you can receive benefits, in which they conveniently established time of disability at 5 months ago. So, I am not sure exactly if that is state by state or federal determination but your dad should qualify. There are also many programs available that offer support. Check on your state website because some of them will go right down the line and tell you what all is available. Good Luck!