UNSELFISH

bware21

I extracted the following paragraph from one of my posts because I'd like as many people as possible to read it. My only regret is that I didn't use something more powerful than "pat on the back" to express how deserving they are.

---------------------------------------------

Now, if you want to talk achievement. In my opinion, the young couple who started this Web site deserve a pat on the back from everyone. When their father died they could just as easily have let it go and got on with their lives. Instead, they followed a calling and acted on it. Now look at the result -- so many people suffering who have been given a pipeline to each other that would otherwise have not existed. It takes a special kind of effort and dedication to produce something as meaningful as this. It's only through their unselfishness that we are able to talk.

Bill

...............just one more thing, Bill. I'm not sure you know my story, but it is ONLY because of this website that I have been alive these past 2 years. You can read a thumbnail sketch of what occurred in Kasey's Story in the My Story forum. But docs here had me written off by spring of '05. I found LCSC and DonnaG who responded immediately and led me to mhutch who led me to NIH and a surgeon who saved my life. So I am indebted to this website perhaps more than anyone else. Yes, I get support, but it has given me oh, so much more.

Sorry you have the need to be here with us, Bill, but glad to have you among our ranks!

Kasey

Bill,

I agree completely with you. I hope Katie and Rick realize that this web site not only brings us together, but it is also providing the tools and motivation to beat cancer. This web site can do to the mind by making it positive, that some doctors are not either willing or able to do.

THANKS FOR YOUR DEDICATION, KATIE AND RICK.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

... I'm actually *not* sorry I'm here. I'm bummed that I have cancer, but I'm certainly not sorry for finding this Web site. In fact, I sent the link over to my sister in Spain (who does not have cancer, thank goodness) because I think it's inspirational for anyone. She responded to me just this morning. She admitted that she shed a few tears (which is never a bad thing) as she read through some of the posts -- not just mine, by the way -- and told me that she was humbled by the experience (never a bad thing).

Katie and Rick -- the fact that you started this site when you "needed" to doesn't diminish the value of your effort in the slightest. I really don't want to embarrass you, but sometimes I think people tend to grossly underestimate the importance of the work they do and the impact it has on others. What you have created here is not only a life-saving vehicle for some, a soft pillow for others, but a magnificent tribute to your father. He must be very proud.

Kasey -- I will be reading your story as soon as I've finished my ramblings here. Oh bugger, here I go again ...

Death, of course, is a sensitive topic. I'll bet if I did a word search through this entire site the words "death" and "dead" would pop up very few times -- and that's understandable. But I was thinking about this the other day and I'm not entirely convinced that's a good thing. Though I dropped out, I went to a pretty good school in Manchester where they tried to teach me everything I needed to know about life and how to make the most of it -- no doubt my knowledge of Henry VIII has seen me in good stead :) However, not once did anyone teach me anything about death. And that's a damn shame. Now clearly, there's not a lot a teacher can say about the technicalities of death, but it strikes me that as children we would benefit more if *both* life and death were discussed in the classroom. The ancient Greeks had it right when they put an emphasis on philosophy. For goodness sake, even the Romans were jealous of the Greeks in that regard, which is why they nicked the concept. But down through the ages we seem to have lost the ability or the will to look at death for what it is -- part of the cycle of life. Today, it's all about living and very few of us are adequately prepared for dying, even though it's a process we all have to go through. Now, I'm as guilty as the next person for living my life with a total disregard for the fact that it could end in a heartbeat (literally). Sure, the idea of death pops in our heads every now and then, but how quickly we are able to expel it. Now where did that skill come from? Fear and ignorance, I suspect. When I sat by my mother's bed when she was dying, even though her eyes were closed and I had no idea if she was awake or asleep, I found myself telling her stories about the wonderful journey she was about to emabark upon -- obviously I was trying to make her feel better and ease the process of dying. Maybe I told a really good story for a change, but strangely, I found myself feeling just a little jealous. Here she was about to make that giant leap into the unknown and there was a part of me that wanted to go with her.

So why am I talking about death here? Is it simply because I'm facing it? Possibly, but then so is everyone else on the planet (and other planets too, I dare say). It just strikes me that our inherent desire to live and experience the beauty of life, for as long as possible, has completely obliterated our ability to acknowledge death for what it is -- an integral part of life.

And that's all I have to say on the matter :D

Bill

Katie and Rick are our angels here on our physical earth. They had a calling and with all the countless hours and sweat they put into creating this site and with their determination and belief, here we are! We are growing and growing and now a part of LUNGevity.

Besides the fact that we help each other, the funding and money they have help raised toward Lung Cancer research is countless.

Since funding for LC is so sparce this site is not just a site for support it is also making a differnce towards LC research

If it was not for this site, there would be no Boston Walk or Satellite walkers, which raised over $120,000(incredible) in November for LUNGEvity toward research and development, plus Andrea who develope the cookbooks where all the profits goes to LUNGevity and the products being sold on this site.

So many people on here have submitted articles to newspapers and magazines to get the word out that LC is not just and old mans disease. NO ONE is immuned, smokers, ex-smokers, non-smokers. Sooner of later it has to get through to the public out there that LC is the number 1 killer for men and women and early detection is the key. This is what we are trying to do and I feel we are making a difference little by little.

Most important... Katie's dad, Jessie is so proud and smiling down upon them for all they have accomplished.

I have our own motto for us here.

"Together we can, together we will"

Amen,

Maryanne :wink:

Kasey -- I read your post in the MY STORY section.

Wow, truly your life was spared by finding this site. At the same time, what a scary story. How can it be that medical opinions differ so? See one guy and order your casket. See another guy and order a drink. Go figure?

Me thinks you had a Guardian Angel watching over you :)

SEND HIM/HER OVER HERE -- Just kidding.

I would have sent the following quote from Oscar Wilde to that uncaring doctor of yours:

"We were as men who through a fen

Of filthy darkness grope:

We did not dare to breathe a prayer,

Or to give our anguish scope:

Something was dead in each of us,

And what was dead was Hope."

And then I would have sent him a wreath with the following note attached:

"For your next patient."

Bill

Oh Bill, the story about my Dr. Doom goes on and on. I returned to him for adjuvant chemo (under direction of NOH surgeon) and he was AMAZED I wasn't dead! He seemed impressed and said he was going to tell some of his patients about me to give them hope. My response was that if he wanted to instill hope, he shouldn't tell a patient they are going to die within the first five minutes. The end of the story for him was when, at the next visit, he informed me that the cancer WOULD, indeed, return. Hard to believe some of the medical professionals, isn't it?

The Oscar Wilde quote I do find most appropriate.......for I do not believe that doctor believes in hope at all. And BTW........you may want to check the clinical trials available through NIH. I know they have offered some for SCLC. It is one AWESOME place!

Kasey

Bill,

I for one am so grateful that this site exists because today my oncologist gave me some fairly bad news and he said afterwards to me. "you seem okay psychologically". I guess he thought I should lay down on the floor and start crying how unfair life is. This website has provided me the courage to face every challenge because for every challenge I have to face, someone else on this board has gone through it before me and many are surviving well and that is what I will bank all my hopes on.

Lilly

Ps...Thank you Katie and Rick

Lilly -- I'm at a loss to understand why some doctors get it and some don't. It's one of the reasons my wife, Teri, does all the grunt work in my case (lucky me). I'm one of those people who can't tolerate incompetence and stupidity and I usually end up screwing myself over by telling people to go to hell. If it wasn't for Teri there wouldn't be a doctor in the country who would take me on as a patient. I'm not an angry person, but when it comes to things of this magnitude I demand a little more from the "professionals" than I'd expect at a Wall Mart checkout. Having dumped the responsibility for saving my life squarely on the shoulders of my wife, I have to admit I'm thankful we didn't have a divorce in the works when I got my diagnosis :D

All I can say to you, Lilly, is remember who's really in control -- YOU. When it comes to information, take on board what benefits you and chuck the rest away. Some doctors are terrific. It's just hard to find them. But some are just plain idiots and I wouldn't have them washing the bird-s**t off my windows.

By the way, I have the same problem with insurance companies :D

Bill

All I can say is they have become friends!! They are amazing people who have shared so much of themselves thru this site.

God has a purpose for everything and this site is a wonderful example of how thru the devastating loss of her dad others have found support thru this site.

Katie and Rick-Thanks again, Cindy

This Site, these wonderful people, have become my

cyber family. I have friends I have never met, but

my world would be empty without them.

Although Alan has never been on the site himself, I

share all the stories of hope with him and I pray

Alan's fight against the beast has given someone else hope.

Katie and Rick you are our Angels.

I can say this site has been a Godsend for me. When my sister was diagnosed, I felt so helpless and lost. I had no idea what to expect, or what to do. I come to this site everyday and learn something new. I come here and get support and try to give support also. My sister doesn't really want to know everything, nor does my parents or other siblings, but I am the type that "has" to know. I am very grateful to have somewhere to go and be able to talk about it. My family and friends do not want to discuss it..AT ALL.

Yes, thanks again Katie and Rick. This site has has steered me to making good treatment decisons for my second and third cancers. If I had gone along with what the local oncologists wanted to do at the time, I would have had much less favorable outcomes.

Don M

Back in September when I was recovering from my thoracotomy and looking for help at 3:00 a.m. on a sleepless Sunday morning, I typed "lung cancer support" in my Google window and found your link on the first page. One click later I knew I'd found gold and there was no need to go to page 2.

"Awesome" may be an overused word, but it certainly fits here. Mahalo and Aloha, Katie and Rick!!