First Time Posting

Randa

I have never posted on this website. I have always read. My uncle was diagnosed with stage 3b lung cancer. At the time, the oncologist told is that this was no big deal and they would be able to take care of it. Well, he was diagnosed on March 5, 2006. Four months later, he was in the hospital, having lost about 50 pounds, unable to swallow anything...and very confused. My beloved uncle passed away on July 4, 2006. I have so may questions: why was the oncologist not more honest? has anyone ever had experience with a rapid decline like that? I am so angry and confused. :evil::evil::evil: Please help.

Thank you for the reply. I was there at the doctor's visit. When he was in the hospital at the end, they said that the tunor was pushing on the trachea. He didnt have other medical issues. But stage 3B is extensive? I am just now learning more about this disease.

Randa,

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I can’t imagine a doctor saying that stage IIIb lung cancer is not a big deal. It is serious, but it is beatable. I would rather have him say that to me and aggressively fight the cancer than to tell me I have x number of months to live like I was told. He may have thought that he was honest and was saying the best thing that would bring about a cure for your uncle.

There is a lot that is not understood about cancer why one person does well and the other one does not. Statistics make no sense, because each person leads a different life. People live different eat different and think different. I think all of these things enter into the picture and there are many unknowns.

Try not to be too angry, try to find something good in everything, even though it may be hard.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Randa,

First welcome and please accept my sincere sympathy on your loss.

Second, we're neighbors! :D

Wow, your head has to be spinning at how fast this went. Wait around and you will hear from others on this board that have sadly traveled the same path. There is no rhyme or reason why some people do well with very advanced cancer and yet others live shorter times with less advanced. Sometimes I think that, although people can have the same type of cancer, they have different histologic grades(ie: well differentiated cells vs. poorly differentiated). How mutated the cancer cells are definitely has an impact on outcomes. A lot of people don't even see this information if they have been biopsied or had surgery. And then again sometimes I think I know too much about my husband's cancer! :(

Try to work past this, but I know how hard it can be. We lost my brother-in-law three years ago this month to undiagnosed primary cancer (they thought it probably was lung) that had metastisized to different areas. When he died he hardly had any cancer and we are still scratching our heads over what the heck went wrong.

Hope you do well and avoid falling in snow drifts today!

Welthy

Sorry this is such a tough time for you. If you've read many posts here, you know that every one of us has a unique story and timeline. I don't think there is any such thing as 'normal' when battling this beast.

Prayers for you and some peace. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

:) Kelly

Randa,

I'm so sorry, clearly you and your uncle were close and I'm very sorry for your loss.

I think the Doctor said the right thing in prepping your uncle for the fight.

Unfortunately, this disease can do some very odd and surprising things.

My mother was at work on a tuesday (albeit tired and not 100%) and Passed thursday morning.

The doctors truly don't have the answers. They don't know either. They try.

"No big deal" is not exactly what I would say about any stage of any cancer, but what he had was "treatable" according to everything I've learned here.

We're here to support you.