Tarceva, Alimta, Avastin

palves

Has anyone started with Alimta or Avastin prior to Tarceva?

I know we had talked to the dr about taxotere, tarceva and alimta as alternatives to a trial. But we went with the trial. Now we were looking for another trial, but have to wait until end of Jan. Parents don't think we can now wait for then. Coughing is too bad. Going to Dr tomorrow . Just trying to research before hand. I see how Alimta seems harsher than Tarceva. Don't know much about Avastin. If anyone has info on Avastin please let me know.

Thanks

Paula

Paula-

John has been on all three of those drugs. I would ask about starting with Tarceva-- it's on oral chemo, and the easiest of the three. Avastin is easily tolerated and is an infusion every three weeks. John is currently on this and doing well. The hardest was Alimata-- it is just real hard on the body. Good luck, let us know how the appointment goes.

Avastin has no documented activity as a single agent and is generally given with another agent like standard chemo or tarceva.

I would say that many patients don't have an especially hard time with alimta, although a few do. It was approved by the FDA because it had the same degree of activity in previously treated lung cancer patients as taxotere (docetaxel) but less toxicity. Tarceva is often pretty mild in terms of side effects but works best in patients with little or no smoking history, somewhat less well in folks with a more significant smoking history. We don't know much about which patients respond well or less well to standard chemo, except that patients who responded well to first-line chemo are more likely to do well with their next chemo. I'd be more inclined to recommend tarceva next for someone who didn't respond as well to chemo the first time around.

Paula ... having worked in Human Resources for many years I would urge you to apply for Family Medical Leave (FMLA). This would allow you to be available to go to your dads appts or be around to help with him during the worst of times without being punished by your employer. FMLA does not mean you will get paid for the time you are off but it does protect your job. Just a thought. Best of luck and be positive with an attitude of gratitude.

Ok, back (finally - why oh why do we always have to wait and wait). Anyway, while we were there - they said they got a call 1 hr prior - a trial spot has opened up. We discussed with the Dr all the options, and he was pretty comfortable w/ recommending the trial (that we had been waiting for). So off we go back to trial land. He will start 12/18 or 12/19. Three week cycle, 1 night stay in the hospital each time. Dr. felt biggest side effect would be neuropathy potential. He had a good success with this drug on another patient (I guess at another section of the trial). After 2 rounds, she had stability for about 1 1/2 years. She stopped though because of neuropathy (which she also had prior to the chemo). I'll post about it in the trials section.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Paula

Paula, I was on taxotere in 2004. That was the worst stuff I ever had however when treatment was done, I felt better than I had in years. I keep telling my oncol that taxotere must have killed off most of the cancer.

I am now on Tarceva at the minimum dose. Only get small reactions (intermittent rash and itching and some sleep disturbance) I had bad reactions to it at the highest dosage (rash, excema, very bad diahrea, very bad sleep disturbance) but I am now stable. So it must be helping me. I guess everybody reacts differently.

Paula,

I was on Avastin from May, 2005 until August, 2006. I just found out that I was the first one at Sloan Kettering in NY to be on this drug for Lung Cancer. "Famous"!!

I was on it in conjunction with my other chemo drugs and then when my rounds were done (6), just on the Avastin one time per month, plus Zometa for bone strength.

I found it an extremely easy drug to tolerate out of everything else I've been on.

good luck