my father has lung cancer

wiesia

Hello Everyone !

Many thanks for this wonderful site. I have learnt great deal about lung cancer from you all.

My father, Henryk, was found to have NSCLC a month ago. He lives in Poland (I live in Salt Lake City).

So far so good. Two small mets to the bones that made us very sad. Treatment is cisplatin/gemzar for now with tests scheduled for December 15'th. Hopefully it works. He is not dealing with the chemo so well. It is mostly nausea that we do not seem able to control. As a result he does not eat much and is loosing weight.

Wiesia

Hi And Welcome.

There are several options for dealing with nnausea. Have your Father request something for it. I don't know anything about the medical care in Poland, but perhaps our forum can offer suggestions that your Father can explore.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this and especially long distance.

best wishes.

mary

Thank you all for warm welcome. We tried several antinausea medications by now: Zofran, Setronon,...

Gemzar just makes him nauseaus but it is cisplatin that makes him vomit. Well... we will keep trying.

At the moment his bone mets showed up on bone scan but do not cause pain so no radiation for now. But we will do MRI on L4 to see what kind of damage the cancer has really done.

My mother has breast cancer. It has returned in her bones last summer. Exactly almost five years after the original dx. Just when we were hoping it went away for good :cry: So we are rather versed in dealing with cancer.

I am a scientist myself (a mathematician), so i watch my parents doctors carefully and compare what they recommend with what I read. The cancer care in Poland I think is very good. After all, everyone reads the same research journals and papers. What is more difficult is finding individual doctors that would be willing to do Cyberknife on stage IV patient, radioablation, etc. Also it is not clear that some of the long-awaiting clinical trials (Stimuvax, for example) will be conducted in Poland.

But... it is unheard of to ask for second opinion. The doctors are so offended !

wiesia

There may be something in here to recommend;

Effective Anti Nausea Medications:

Anti-emetics: Nausea and vomiting are the most uncomfortable side effects of chemotherapy. The schedule and dosage of these medications depends on the type and amount of chemotherapy used. They are best used immediately prior to chemotherapy. Zofran or Kytril are used in combination with Decadron. This eliminates nausea and vomiting in over 95% of patients. Most important, keep the body hydrated and drink plenty of water.

Kytril tablets (SmithKline Beecham): Can be taken either once or twice daily to prevent nausea and vomiting associated with repeat courses of chemotherapy, including high-dose cisplatin. Adverse effects may include: headache (mild to moderate); constipation; asthenia; diarrhea; and abdominal pain. Adverse effect of Kytril tablets was similar to adverse effects of intravenous Kytril. Tablets are more cost effective, as there is no intravenous maintenance. However, some insurance companies have refused to cover the cost which can be $50-$80 per pill!

Compazine (SmithKline Beecham): Helps control and/or prevent nausea and vomiting. Compazine can be taken orally, intravenously or rectally. Possible side effects include restlessness, drowsiness, and agitation. (Also used as an anti-psychotic).

Zofran (Glaxo Wellcome Inc.): Anti-nausea/vomiting medication. Common side effects are dizziness, headache, drowsiness, constipation, diarrhea, dry mouth and skin rashes.

Anzemet (Hoeschst Marion Rousell): This is a new anti-nausea medication, which can be administered orally or intravenously prior to chemotherapy session and can be repeated afterwards. When administered intravenously, may cause irregularities in cardiogram, and may cause fatigue and diarrhea.

Corticosteroids for use as antiemetics in cancer therapy include Decadron (Dexamethasone, Prednisone, Hydrocortisone) The drugs come in tablet and intravenous form. Decadron is normally administered along with Zofran. The side effects of Decadron depend on the amount and schedule of the administration of the steroids but can be irritation of the stomach, stomach ulcer, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and fluid retention (which may increase the risk of kidney stones). Corticosteroids may cause a loss of control of diabetes by increasing blood glucose (sugar).

http://onhealth.com/ch1/resource/pharma ... ,22192.asp

Dronabinol (Marinol): Derived from the marijuana plant. It is an effective vomiting blocker and works as an appetite stimulator. There are undesirable side effects such as dizziness, blurred vision, memory loss and a euphoric feeling.

Medical Cannabis:

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/default.htm

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/cancer.html

http://www.ukcia.org/medical/cancer.html#sci

Ginger Root Tea: Grate fresh root and simmer 1 teaspoon for 3-5 minutes, strain and sip (makes one cup) http://ralphmoss.com/nausea.html

White Oak Bark Tea: Simmer, strain and sip...will be very bitter as it is an astringent. Can take white oak bark capsules.

What to Avoid

Very hot or very cold foods. Room temperature is best.

Greasy, fried foods

Sweet, salty, or spicy foods

Foods with strong odors

Drinking liquids with meals. Liquids at mealtime can make you feel bloated. Drink liquids an hour before or after meals.

Your favorite foods. If you feel nauseated and force yourself to eat your favorite foods, you may develop a permanent dislike for them

Eating or drinking until vomiting is under control. Once you’re sure vomiting has stopped, try only small amounts of clear liquids for several hours

Relax

Rest in an upright, seated position after eating. Avoid reclining or lying prone.

Avoid over-stimulation before treatment whenever possible. Relax in a quiet, darkened room

If nausea hits, take deep breaths and relax

Self-hypnosis, meditation, imagery/relaxation exercises may prove helpful

Listen to your favorite music or watch television

If you experience nausea at a certain time of day, ask your doctor about varying the time of your treatment

Note: It is imperative that patients relay any side effects or problems to the medical oncologist.

Contributed by Kathy Leslie

Cytoprotectants

Aside from leaving a person vulnerable to infection, cancer drugs can also damage the cells of the nervous system, bladder, kidney, lungs and heart. Medications are available to help manage some of the effects of chemotherapy:

Mesna (MESNEX, Uromitexan), is a drug used to reduce the harmful effects on the bladder (hemorrhagis cystitis) from chemotherapeutic agents cyclophosphamide and ifosamide. Aside from being a protectant against urotoxicity, Mesna has been shown to be an anti-tumoral agent. For favorable reviews from the drug company: http://www.pharmacyhealth.net/d/mesnex-6801.htm

This link takes you to the National Cancer Institutes descriptions of Mesna, including side effects: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/de ... nts/page14

Neupogen (FILGRASTIM) is used to stimulate production of white blood cells needed to fight infection, and to reduce duration of neutropenia caused by chemotherapy. http://www.neupogen.com/patients/patientpi.html

Lenograstim (Granocyte[recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor rG-CSF]) This drug is a member of the same therapeutic class as Neupoegen: 'Leukocyte (wbc) Stimulants'. By helping to restore neutrophil (white blood cell) levels, Lenograstim/Granocyte decreases the risk of infections and helps patients remain on optimum doses of chemotherapy. A recent Japanese study which evaluated the use of this drug for chemotherapy induced neutropenia in patients receiving M-VAC for urothelial cancer concluded that Lenograstim was useful in reducing the duration of neutropenia as well as the duration of antibiotic therapy.1

Procrit (Epoetin-eh-POH-ee-tin) is a synthetic version of human erythropoietin (EPO), which is a hormone produced naturally in the body, mostly by the kidneys. It stimulates the bone marrow to produce red blood cells. If the body does not produce enough EPO, severe anemia can occur. This often occurs in people whose kidneys are not working properly. Epoetin is used to treat severe anemia in these people. Epoetin may also be used to prevent or treat anemia caused by other conditions http://onhealth.com/ch1/resource/pharma ... ,28276.asp

Procrit a survival risk? In a study published in the medical journal The Lancet, the epoetin group turned out to have a 62 percent greater chance of suffering a recurrence and a 339 percent greater chance of dying. The authors concluded that epoetin beta "corrects anemia but does not improve cancer control or survival. Disease control might even be impaired" (Henke, Oct. 18, 2003)

Leucovorin is a faster acting and more potent form of folic acid. It is used as a "rescue" after high dose methotrexate therapy to lessen and counteract the effects of methotrexate toxicity and other folic acid antagonists. It is also used to treat anemia when oral therapy with folic acid is not possible.

www.medscape.com (drug search)

Dexrazoxane is used to prevent or treat doxorubicin (Adriamycin)-induced cardiotoxicity. This drug can reduce the antineoplastic activity of doxorubicin. Dexrazoxane is also myelosuppressive and may increase the risk of developing secondary malignancies.2

These sites may also be helpful:

www.jasper-web.com/texascanceronline/prevention.htm#5

http://www.worldmegastore.com/cf/index. ... mand=drugs

back to invasive bladder cancer

References

1.Effect of recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor (lenograstim) on chemotherapy induced neutropenia in patients with urothelial cancer. Kotake T; Usami M; Miki T; Togashi M; Akaza H; Kubota Y; Matsumura Y Int J Urol 1999 Feb;6(2):61-7 Department of Urology, Osaka Medical Center for Cancer and Cardiovascular Diseases, Japan. UI - 99243396

2. Dietary Antioxidants During Cancer Chemotherapy: Impact on Chemotherapeutic Effectiveness and Development of Side Effects Kenneth A. Conklin From Nutrition and Cancer 37(1):1-18, 2000. © 2000 Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.

All pages written and compiled by Wendy Sheridan unless otherwise referenced.

This page was last modified on Monday, October 3

Holistically thinking, Click on this Link below;

http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h61.htm

Prayers and thoughts. Let us know what we can help with.

Welcome to the site!!

I got a 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinion. I think seeking other opinions is very important in the healing process. It will give you faith in what your current onc. is doing. If your onc. is confident in the treatment recipe, diagnosis, etc. why would he care if you sought out another opinion.

You and your family are in my prayers.

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

Hi Wiesia,

Don't get all freaked out about "bone mets" I've had them on my collarbone, throughout my back (T1, T11, L2, etc.), and my hip. The tumor on my collarbone is gone and the others are shrinking and bothering me less.

Its possible for cancer to regress no matter where it is (brain, bones, liver, etc.). What's more important is getting the right diagnosis, the right treatment and the right attitude.

Tell your dad I said: "Powodzenia!"

aaron