Question about needle biopsy

kbroo2

Hello everybody –

Just a question – I have a needle biopsy scheduled next week for a mass discovered in my upper left lung. I wondered if anybody could give me any insight into how this procedure is done and how much pain is involved. Not looking forward it! Thanks in advance –

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I had a CT guided needle biopsy over 2 years ago. I don't remember much pain, so I am guessing it wasn't that uncomfortable. I was 'sort of' awake so I could follow the directions given. Just a little sore and after resting maybe 2 hours I was good to go. I do hope I have remembered correctly. That should be good news for you.......that it was not that memorable at all! Good luck!

Kasey

"Kasey"]Hi Kevin,

I had a CT guided needle biopsy over 2 years ago. I don't remember much pain, so I am guessing it wasn't that uncomfortable. I was 'sort of' awake so I could follow the directions given. Just a little sore and after resting maybe 2 hours I was good to go. I do hope I have remembered correctly. That should be good news for you.......that it was not that memorable at all! Good luck!

Kasey

Great Kasey! - thanks for the fast response. I am like you - if I don't remember too well - it must have been OK. Thanks!

As I understood it from the doctor, he said anestesia would be used and a little soreness.

You may want to make sure you know the risks and remediations...ie possibility of a partial lung / lung colapse. But the odds are that wouldn't happen, just worth knowing possibilities.

Hi,

I had a needle biopsy. No pain. I was awake because they wanted me to hold my breath at certain times. The needle was through the back and they used the conscious sedation. After the biopsy, they make you stay around for 3 hours, take a chest xray, and if all is well you go home. The risk is a lung collapse. I had no pain and no tiredness.

Mary

Kevin,

My dad had this and in general it was not painful. With his, they did a scope down his throat, and the worst of it was the taste of the spray they used to numb his throat. He did have a sore throat for about 2 days after, but nothing so bad that he couldn't eat or anything.

Blessings,

Jen

Hi Kevin

I have had 2 of them where my left lung used to be. They came in from the front both times. It stung a little bit, and I remember the sensation of pressure. I was conscious the whole time. I was 59 at my first one and 60 at my second one. I lost my left lung via the installment method, first the upper lobe and then a year later, the lower lobe. With people my age it is not uncommon to have a pneumothorax (collapsed lung). I had one both times. They stuck a tube in my chest and I went home both times. They wanted me to stay in the hospital overnight, but I declined. I came back the next day to have the tube removed and I had to stay 3 hours or so to make sure my lung did not deflate again. They take a number of xrays to make sure there is no pneumothorax.

Don M

I had the procedure done with ct to guide them. I had nothing as far as anesthesia, conscious or otherwise. They made 6 trips into my left upper lobe. It was very uncomfortable but not really painful. My lung did colapse by 20% but reinflated on its on. They had me wait about 2 hours to make sure my lung didn't go down any more and let me go. I did take some pain medication after because the colapsed lung was a little painful. After a good night's sleep I was good as new. Just a little sore.

Nina

Alan had his only needle biopsy this past summer. He was wide awake for the procedure.

He said it was a bit uncomfortable, but more from the position he had to be in (he has bad shoulders)

His lung did partially collopase, but he went home 6 hours later as the lung re-inflated.

I hope all goes well, please keep us posted.

I am not a fan of needle biopsies--both my lung and my breast biopsies were "inconclusive" and surgery was necessary anyway, and both were malignant.

That said, it was uncomfortable, but not painful. I did take a book to the hospital so when I had to wait for a few hours I had something to do.

Good luck

gail

I had a needle biopsy also. Awake and had to lay on my tummy. No pain I was scared more than anything (unknown)else. I did well, no collapse but was in out patient for 8 hours for observation. Test came back inconclusive. You will be fine..

Sending up prayers for negative results.(Yeaaa, All is healthy.) Please keep us posted, we are here for you.

Karen

My dad said it wasn't bad at all, he didn't feel much. The only problem he had, which is no big deal, is a bit of pnemothorax where the lung partially collapses. They sent him home with a chest tube and it was out the next day.

Also his initial result the day of biopsy was no cancer, the we got a call 2 days later that atypical cells were found, so he had surgery before official diagnosis.

Good luck!

I was hospitalized at the time of the biopsy so on a gurney I was taken to the CT unit where a radiation medical doctor took the specimen.

All I remember is I tried to behave. (not easy for me)

I kept this running through my brain.. "these people are here to help you, Cindi, not hurt you."

"Okay, okay..."

lay on your tummy. "okay. Okay."

Another minute now...

"okay. okay."

All done now, another picture..."okay. okay."

I had two. The first one was a fine needle aspiration, presumably what you will get. I was flat on my back and had to raise my left arm above my head. They went in right under my armpit. The guy was kinda new, so he kept shoving and jabbing, hitting up against ribs. Eventually it "slipped in". But then, everyone had to leave because they had to to do a ct scan to match it up with the tumor and i'm laying there with a #$%^#'ed needle popping out of lungs in between my ribs. After the scan, they come back in and shove it this way or that way and scan again. repeat. It was awful.

I probably shouldn't have told you that. Just make sure to ask for sedation and find something to squeeze and think about it this way: that's the only way to get a good diagnosis.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everybody, for responding and for support. The procedure was not bad at all, the next day I was a little loopy, and my chest a little - but hey, I used to pay money for that effect!

Waiting on results - again, sounds so familiar around here - hope for the best - thanks again