need some info part 2

elkiesmom

My cousins husband Jim went to sloan yesterday and they agree with his onc in Conn. Today he will start Chemo Carboplatin, Gemzar and Avastin..Has anyone had this combination and what should he expect? I do not know how often or how long Jim will have this treatment. Diane just sent me a quick E mail on her way out with Jim to go to the first Chemo session. I put this in the first post but I am afraid it will get lost in the subject.

Lorrie

My mom did Carbo and Gemzar with Velcade in a clinical trial. She tolerated it well, but did have some diarrhea and could not drink orange juice while on it (Gemzar) because it caused a burning sensation in her mouth. Not acid reflux in the throat, just a weird sensation in the mouth. Carbo caused a metallic taste in the mouth.

She had Avastin with either Taxol or Taxotere and Carboplatin. Avastin caused severe headaches and high blood pressure, and she had to be taken off the Avastin. But many others have had good success with Avastin and few side effects.

Fatigue was always a side effect, as was the blood count dip. Most all side effects occured 7-10 days after administration of chemo, except the diarrhea.

My mom also said that she always knew if a chemo was going to work, because she could feel something happening in her chest within the first hour or so. She described it as almost a tingle. Must be true, because every ineffective chemo did not cause this sensation. She, too, had multiple mets in both lungs, and the primary was in the left upper lobe. No radiation possible for her, either.

Depending on how ofted he goes in for chemo, Jim might want to consider having a port placed for IV access.

Best wishes to all of you!

~Karen

"My mom also said that she always knew if a chemo was going to work, because she could feel something happening in her chest within the first hour or so."

This statment just made my day. My dad said that he felt rumbling in his chest after he started with the carbo/taxotere combo. Thanks.