bone mets

wiesia

I have two questions concerning bone mets.

(1) Is radiation only used for pain or severely damaged bones ? My father has two spots: on L4 and a clavicle. Our radiotherapist did not want to radiate those (since they cause no pain). My mother has a breast cancer with bone mets: on L1 and a rib. The one on the ribs was achy but the one on L1 was not (it showed up on a PET/CT scan). Our radiologist treated both of them. That is the same woman !

Now I am wondering whether she does not undertreat my father because stage IV and lung cancer has so much worse prognosis than stage IV breast cancer.

(2) There seems to be some evidence that Doxycycline

might inhibit bone mets of solid tumors. I think there is a Phase II trial in Canada on that and the rumors on bc support groups are that they have some very good results. Are any of you on doxycycline for bone mets ?

Thanks,

wiesia

Wiesia,

We just found out on a PET scan that Tony has 2 bone mets. He doesn't feel a thing -- no pain at all. The Oncologist isn't recommending radiation and is giving him Zometa for bone strength.

This is all new for us so I hope others will come along and explain the differences between treating with radiation and not treating. I'm a little confused too!

Welthy

Generally, they can only radiate an area once because of damage to the general area. So usually radiologists will not radiate bone mets unless there is severe pain or threat to the bone integrity. They usually rely on chemo to diminish the bone mets in those cases.

My wife had many bone mets, and the general rule was followed with her. She also took Zometa once a month to strengthen bones and help prevent bone mets.

I don't know anything about your second question. Don

Wiesia,

I have only received radiation on bone mets when needed for pain. I believe they will use radiation if a tumor is located in an area that can cause significant physical problems, like certain parts of the spine. Like many others, I take Zometa which is to strength the bones and hopefully avoid/postpone the radiation.

I have not heard anything about the drug you mentioned.

Good luck.

Mary

This primarily just reiterates the good info already provided, but I'll give input as an oncologist.

Radiation isn't generally done to asymptomatic or minimally painful bone mets unless there's a significant fracture risk.

Radiopharmaceuticals are very rarely used for lung cancer. Primarily for prostate cancer, where patients often develop very diffuse bone metastases over a very long time.

Zometa infusions can decrease the risk of future skeletal complications, like subsequent fractures, need for radiation, or increased pain medication, in folks who have metastases to bone.

And doxycycline, although perhaps being studied in some clinical trials, is definitely not routinely used in bone metastases at this point.