Update on me.

Sam'swifeShirley

Hi everyone,

Well we stopped chemo (carbo/taxotere) 7 weeks ago after three treatments. That was about all I could do. The plan was to do radiation to the right neck where the cancerous node was but my radiation onc wanted to be sure that there was no other cancer first. PET-CT showed qustionable areas in both lungs, CT scan showed same. Diagnostic thoracentesis showed no malignancy.

I continue to be anemic and get Aranesp every two weeks. I decided to take LOA from work and file for disability insurance.

Other than a frequent really bad cough and no exercise tolerance, I feel OK. I'm not in pain, I sleep OK, My apetite is fine and my weight is up.

Today I had a repeat bronchoscopy and my pulmonologist says it looks like more cancer in the "questionable" PET areas. Biopsy, brushings and washings are pending and I pray he is wrong but I doubt he is. This is bad news. If this is active tumor I guess the jig is up. :(

Thanks for the prayers and God bless us all.

Sam

This disease is so unpredictable that who knows what is in store!!!! Some people are given the "clear" and wind up in challenging places a few months later. Some people are given the "bad news" and are still responding years later. Whatever it is, we can't control it. If you can, look at this as an opportunity to savor each day. I would venture a guess that 98% of the population don't get the same kind of chance. I can only imagine how difficult it is to remain hopeful but.....

Didn't know what to say. Go out and have a shake! Treat yourself. It can't hurt.

Courage--

Dan Rather

Sam, this is the week of bad news so next week has to be better.

I cannot put my feet in your shoes nor the shoes of my loving husband so I really do not know how each of you actually feel. I know my husband seems to be at peace with what is happening and I believe you are to from this post. I pray that someday there will be a miracle drug that will work for all lc survivors and wish that day was today...Will keep you and your wife in my prayers each night...

Sam..what can I say that hasn't been said already. We both know how this monster is so unpredictable, but you have to continue to fight and "refuse to loose".

There will be many detours in this journey we have been asked to travel. But as long as there is life, there is hope.

May God bless you and your wife.

Bonnie and Howard

So sad to hear you sound discouraged. I suppose there will be more tests to watch those "spots' The good news sounds like you are feeling at least OK. The fact that you are gaining weight sounds good also. Please know that you continue to be in my prayers , that your knowledge and advise is really appreciated around here, you are our doctor friend so it doesnt pay cash but it does pay in our friendship. Please keep us posted on how you are doing . Donna G

Sam

Sorry about your news, it sucks. This whole damn disease sucks. It must be so difficult for you being a physician and having the knowledge that you have to also being the patient with this illness. I think the rest of us are better off being dumb and ignorant. I often wonder myself how do you go from feeling well, eating well, having no pain to actually dying? I myself feel very well, have not lost a pound, eating very well and yet I can't even seem to get into remission on my second round of chemo. Some days I just worry and wonder. I will continue to pray for you Sam, you seem like a very tough sort and I hope and pray you will be with us for a long time to come

Bess B

Dx SCLC 2/14/03 w mets to Liver

Irinetecan-Taxol - 3/07/03-6/30/03

60% shrinkage of lung & liver mets

8/03/03 Started Cisplatin-VP 16 every 3 weeks

9/15/03 CT scan showed no change

continuing chemo & hoping & Praying for remission

Sam,

Your post made my heart sink. :cry: This is hard news to assimilate, but I know you are not giving up, though you might be discouraged. As ever, you'll be in my prayers. We love you for your generosity of spirit and knowledge, your down-to-earth approach to life's exigencies, and your courage.

Hey Sam;

Hang in there, " the jig ain't up yet" :) Your an inspiration to many of us. You know the drill, head up, one foot in front of the other, do what the doc. says, seek opinions and pray for miracles. :shock:

Your in my thoughts and prayers

God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Sam,

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. You have always been quick to post with advice and I wish that I had some magic words to make you feel better. Just know that others are thinking of you and keep fighting Sam!!

Debi

47 years old

Stage 1a-nsclc

Surgery June 16, 2003- mid & upper lobe removed

Just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I think of you so often and remember how much help you were to me when Dennis was diagnosed. Remember? You guys were in the same clinical. You ARE a survivor!!! Prayers going up for you right now!!!

Dear Sam,

You are not the average person. You would not be where you are today if that were the case. Therefor, don't compare yourself to the average person who has this disease. You can still beat this! Cindy has had it in both lungs, and beaten back the beast. Now you must focus on your spiritual wisdom, not your medical knowledge, to see you through this. The practice of medicine, as good as it has become, still cannot solve all of our medical problems. But have trust in your faith to resolve any and all situations!

I recall you saying that your spiritual guidance counselor has transferred. Can you still contact him, or perhaps talk to the pastor who took his place? I will be praying for you Sam.

Cheryl