Prayers Please!

niececola

My mom has been having an awful week. She starting losing her hair early this week and rather than watch it fall out daily, she decided to cut it all off. I have not yet seen her, but I am sure she is as beautiful as ever! She is becoming depressed, sad and anxious. We are to attend a family wedding this weekend and I pray that she has enough strength to enjoy herself and enough courage to say when she has had too much fun and it is time to go home! She likes to keep her pain to herself. We have been very lucky to date, as she has not experienced too many side effects from the chemo, but her spirit is starting to waiver a bit and I am asking for your prayers that she remains strong and keeps in faith in God. Thanks. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Denise, will keep your mom in my prayers each night. am glad she seems able to cope with the chemo. I would think that the hair thing could depress a female more than a male. I know my girlfriends who all went through this seemed to be depressed when that happened. Hope she has a great time at the wedding. Being with family and friends will help...

You are right, the hair falling out bothers some of us because it 'shows' people you are 'sick'. The actual falling out did not bother me too much, I actually sat outside with the dog and 'shed' :D Your mom by having her hair cut off seems to be handling that well. I know from experience, I hate it when my family tries to get me to stop and rest when they think I should. I don't know if I will be here for the next family reunion, or wedding or cook-out so I enjoy it to the fullest and nap for a few days. :D As long as she is able to attend and enjoy these functions encourage her to.

Denise,

I did the same thing with my hair. I had it clipped rather short when I knew it would start to fall out, and then when it started to come out, I had a buzz cut. Hated seeing hair all over.

I found I really enjoyed the terrycloth or velour terry turbans, especially in the winter. Kept my head warm at night.

I hope you all have a blast at the wedding. Let her enjoy herself, and let her tell you when she wants to go home. Weddings and the like are especially rich times to count ones blessings and reflect....

Prayers are with you and your mom,

MaryAnn

Morning! I just wanted to update you all on the weekend. My mom made it! It was a very rough day for all on Saturday, but she was able to find the strength to go to the church and the reception! And she even got up from her wheelchair to dance a little. She was very nervous, but was able to remember that God was there with her, watching over her and protecting her the whole time. We had many things to be thankful for on Saturday. Everyone was so excited to see her and they all just said the right things. Thank you all for your kind words and prayers, I know they were with us this weekend! God Bless!

The picture of us was taken at a wedding while my husband was undergoing radiation and chemo. It was a wedding that was extremely important to us, we really wanted to be there. I remember when we went for chemo that week we asked for Procrit to help him recover faster from the chemo. The nurse said, "Look you can't believe those commercials where people are back to work and baking cakes after Procrit." We just looked at her and said, "We don't care about baking a cake, we just want to go to a wedding Saturday." Anyway, he got the shot and we made our best friends son's wedding. I'm glad your mom made it your family wedding too. :)

Sorry for your tough times. My mom took about a month or a month and a half before she got her chemo regulated (not actually feeling too bad). I'll say a quick prayer that your mom will find it soon. From her picture she seems like a dynamo! That helps.

Until you go through it, it seems like cliche advice, but you really do have to focus on one day at a time. Otherwise, it simply is too overwhelming. I will pass on what others from this site have passed on to me. Don't stop taking care of yourself. You sound like a well of support for your mom, so she will be needing you to stay strong.

My mom cut her hair off early too, and I told her that only a truly beautiful woman could carry off the no hair look. She beamed! I think though it was my husband saying it that really took ;)

YOu guys get dressed up and take lots of pics at that wedding. She may be self concious but pictures are too precious. And for you, I would suggest some wine at the wedding! Even though my mom was on chemo and radiation, she did have 2 glasses of wine on the fourth of July at a party and thoroughly enjoyed herself. A doctor probably wouldn't agree but it did wonders for her spirits to feel "normal" again.

Let us know how it goes and keeping you in my thoughts. I'm in a similar position and would love to offer support anywhere I can.