Another TOugh Week

Well, we are in the 5th round of chemo and my husband is doing so very poorly. :( We had the CT last week and the results were that all tumors showed shrinkage (YEAH! :D ), one small new lesion and pleural effusion. He is feeling so bad so the doctor wanted to postpone a day and have a brain MRI. MRI came back clean (YEAH! :D ) so chemo started on Wednesday. Husband has been vomiting blood for a couple days now and has started to lose weight quickly (10 pounds in 3 days). Doctor said we have to keep going with chemo because we do not have much more to go and we are seeing results. I have had about 5 hours of sleep this week and am exhausted! I am trying to just keep going and also to be as strong as possible but it is so hard to see my husband suffer so deeply every single day. He will be having a blood transfusion tomorrow morning. It seems like he has every complication imaginable and it makes me so sad. :cry:

Is all of this normal? I am so scared of what is going to happen when he is at the end of the 6 chemo treatments and we are just wondering and waiting.

I feel so badly for you and your husband. I hate this disease so much. I wish I knew what to say to make things better. I will pray for you and your family. Prayer does work. Your husband is very lucky to have you with him. Stay strong and believe he is going to be better. I have seen posts on here where some have said transfusions made them feel so much better. Keep us posted.

Love,

Bobby

From one caregiver to another, it is all normal, unfortunately. I could not find in your bio what chemo your husband is taking so I can't comment on that. Hang in there. It is very exhausting for the patient AND the primary caregiver. Be sure to take care of yourself as well. You don't want to get sick, too. Don

You need to get him something for the nausea-- whatever they are giving him with chemo is not working so get it switched. The vomiting is not good - especially if you are seeing blood- and you need to insist they get it under control. There are so many new nausea drugs- something will help.

Listen to Don- try to take care of yourself. I know when people told me that in the beginning, I thought how can I do that with so much to do and kids to take care of -- but I found out the hard way what stress can do - so try. Also, maybe you should ask Dr. West about his case and the nausea.

I wish we were close- I'd be glad to come and help you.

((((Flowergirlie)))) :cry:

I am so sorry you both are suffering so much right now. I echo everyone elses sentiments about nausea and taking care of yourself. Sleep becomes a precious commodity for caretakers too.

Try and hang in there. The ride is long and bumpy, but to have any measure of success, we've all got to keep riding.

Welthy

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the tough times you are going through right now... it is so hard on your husband, but it is equally draining on the caregiver. I would say that your husband would feel much better if he could keep "something" down.... so I agree with the others about controlling the vomiting. He also could probably use an IV to rehydrate... that alone could make an incredible difference in how he feels. The blood transfusion should also make a difference. I will be praying and hoping that this chemo keeps knocking the crap out of those tumors!!!!

Flowergirlie-

Do you have people around you to support you? I hope you do. It is really important. It makes you much stronger to deal with things as the primary caregiver. Also, you can press you medical team to solve the nausea-not to mention anything else that comes up. I can my sister's cancer center all weekend and bug them until we get to the bottom of things. (As much as we can of course.)

I am sending prayers to you and your husband. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Peace,

Marco Jo

Hi

My husband had a blood transfusion a few weeks ago and it improved his energy tremendously. Before it he was falling asleep standing. I was just looking at your bio and I didn't know if you ever got a second opinion but if so try for it. Our oncologist said that Gerald would not qualify for any radiation however we went to another hospital and they have said yes -they can radiate 2-3 spots - now whether this is for quality of life, pain relief or cure I know not what is in their heads but he is going to get something. And if it gives more shrinkage all the better. Hopefully you can get an anti nausea medication - Ger has been fortunate - mind you they perscribed him 4 different pills and we have a drug plan. Good luck and I am glad that the scans showed improvement.

Heather