clinical trial

Guest Libby

Guest Libby

I am still getting familiar with this forum but i am so very grateful for all of you. My husband started a clinical trial yesterday of a drug called Tarceva, which is similar to iressa but made by a different company. His cancer is stage iv, in both lungs but hasn't spread elsewhere. He has tiny clusters, described as looking like pepper spots, so surgery was never an option. He is wheezing, coughing slightly and a little short of breath. We are trying to stay upbeat and hopeful. This trial will last 2 months at which time we can evaluate its success and switch to standard chemo if necessary at that point. It was an agonizing decision to have to make, but we went with the trial since we can switch to standard chemo after, but could not do the reverse. Thank you all for your replies and I hope I am sending this message correctly. I haven't yet figured out how to register.

Libby

Hi Ginny - My fiance is part of a clinical trial, which his oncologist encouraged. This trial is in Phase II and his treatment is etoposide (VP-16) & carboplatin for 3 days, on a 21-day cycle. His trial drug is Aptosyn (Exisulind) that is taken by mouth twice a day, every day for a total of 40 weeks. He finished his 3rd chemo treatment March 14 with no side effects. He is a lifelong asthmatic, had quad by-pass, 2 heart attacks, stroke and is Type 2 diabetic. We didn't really "catch on" after Christmas when it became more difficult for him to catch his breath after bending over, wheezing, or his non-productive dry cough. He was very pale and extremely fatigued. We raise parrots and we thought it was having the Cockatoos in the computer room, aggravating his asthma. On February 10, his ENT put him on 2 more asthma and an allergy med. February 21 he went to his family physician with no improvement. Chest X-ray indicated severe pneumonia. He was given an antibiotic injection, antibiotic and decongestant prescriptions. He returned 2 consecutive days for injections. Follow-up X-ray on the 24th showed that the "pneumonia" was actually more dense, so a CTs of chest, abdomen and pelvis were ordered. Air space disease of 2/3 of the right lung and mediastinal lymphadenopathy was indicated, with lymph node sizes ranging in size from sub centimeter to 4.5cm, with most being in the 2 - 3cm range. Two liver lesions were 5mm and 3cm - one adrenal lesion was 2cm, but the left adrenal gland was enlarged. Then, a bronchoscopy that proved our greatest fear - SCLC. A positive side is that the bone scan, brain scan and bone marrow tests were negative. The day of his first chemo treatment, his color was back to normal and his breathing had greatly improved. He doesn't wheeze or have labored breathing any more. For a few days following chemo, his coughing increased, which his oncologist said was expected, but that only lasted a few days. We are VERY optimistic and anxiously awaiting more CTs after his 2nd round of chemo. We feel very fortunate that Steve was able to participate in a clinical trial - he is getting treatment that if works, will not be available on the market for at least 2 years. Good luck - you and your husband are in my prayers.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

My name is Diane and my mom was diagnosed with SCLC last month. Or they say...

My mom began having flu-like symptoms, dry mouth, and poor tasting food the end of December, beginning of January which began a flurry of tests, treatments etc. Finally, an abdominal ultrasound revealed enlarged lymph nodes. A subsequent CT Scan of the chest, abdomin, and pelvis revealed enlarged lymph nodes in the mediastinal and abdominal areas. Lymphoma was the suspected diagnosis. Two biopsies later the diagnosis of poorly differenced carcinoma was made with a belief that the disease is sclc given her history. She started chemo the beginning of June---21 day cycle of carboplatin and VP 16 for 3 days.

I have been on the Internet constantly and have talked to her oncologist to ensure that this is the best treatment for her. She does not have any pulmonary symptoms but rather GI symptoms---bloating, gas and nausea. Of course she is also tired most of the time but has problems sleeping.

I am so concerned that I am making the right decisions as I know once we get started there is no turning back. She is being treated at MD Anderson and her oncologist appears to be doing what is appropriate.

Am I just overly concerned because this is my mom, or is there anything else I should be researching?

Diane

Diane, I'm sure you know that MD Anderson is one of the top places for cancer treatment, BUT—it never hurts to get a second opinion. If you have even the teensiest misgiving, then I would certainly get another opinion, if I were you. Good luck with whatever you decide.