Favorite Holiday memory/gifts

KatieB

This year we are teaching our children about giving It's so easy to spoil them, because Rick and I grew up very modestly- we want them to have everything we didn't have- But we stress what this season is about and we are teaching them about the importance of giving to others, empathy for others and love for others.

We silently "adopted" a family from my son's cub scout troop. The parents became unemployed this year. Kennedy (2 almost 3yrs.old) had difficulty at first understanding the toys we were buying were for someone else and not her...but she's finally got it!

Now she walks around the house and will grab a picture frame or magnets off the fridge and say "I geb it to you!" and hand it to us like a present.

Very cute! and I think she "gets" what Christmas and giving is all about.

I have many from my childhood (memories, not gifts) as I am the youngest of 7 and until my siblings began moving out and on their own- there wasn't the money- just a lot of love. While toys break and get old and forgotten- the love has lasted us forever. I hope my own children will feel that way- even in the midst of their sea of toys...

What is your favorite Christmas/Holiday memory or a favorite gift you received?

I have several Christmas memories that I could mention. The one that I will share here is this.

When I was about 6 or maybe 7, I got my first pair of PJ's for Christmas. Two or 3 days before school let out for the holidays, a boy in my class got burned with scalding hot water. He was burned so bad that he had to be admitted to the hospital. He had no pajamas. Well, he got my new pair.

I know I said I would share "one" but I must throw in the beautiful lights. Comimg from a rather poor family, we didn't have a lot of money. All the stores stayed open late (as they still do). There was nothing like going window shopping. Downtown is mostly deserted now sience the malls and shopping centers have came along but I can still see the decorations and hear music playing today.

Wow, Katie.....I have so many special holiday memories. Hardly any of them involve gifts, however, since we were not of 'means'. So what we usually got were pajamas, socks, and underwear with oranges and walnuts and clear candy toys in our stockings. Oh yes, there was the new toothbrush in there too :? .

Now remember, I was young back in the dark ages before Christmas was everywhere before Halloween. So about the biggest thing for me was the trip home from my aunt's house on Thanksgiving. We would drive through town and that was the night when all the town decorations and lights were on for the first time. They were beautiful and never ceased to take my breath away.

Finally the other BIG surprise would be seeing the Christmas tree on Christmas morning. It would get set up Christmas eve and left unadorned. Then my brother and I would go to bed and the 'elves' must have been busy all night decorating becuase when we arose Christmas ~ there was the tree in all its splendor.

There would usually be one special gift to go along with all the sundries already mentioned. I recall but a few since they were never the main focus of our holiday. My mother made Christmas magic for me without $$$ spent on presents not needed. So I suppose the best 'gift' I ever recieived was from her making Christmas still a magical experience for me for all these many many years year. I miss her.

Thanks, Katie for the memories.

L&T,

Kasey

Like others, my family always struggled financially so most of my wonderful memories revolve around people and love rather than gifts. The gifts I did get were always practical ones, except for an occasional doll. My mom sewed a lot so one year she made me an entire wardrobe of doll clothes and I was so happy. But...the happiest Christmas memory for me was about going into "town" , seeing the lights and going to the Christmas Parade in downtown Knoxville. It was cold in Tennessee at Christmas and my mom and dad would wrap me up in a zillion layers. My dad would put me on his shoulders to watch the parade go by. We would always buy hot tamales (not the candy) from an old street vendor named Andrew. Oh...how I would love to be back there right now!!!

Katie-

We always adopt a child for the holidays. When Tyler was little (and the only child) we would pull a name off the angel tree (a boy) and shop for him. One year we got our boy a huge train set and everyone went nuts when we brought it in.

Now that the kids are in school, each class adopts a child and sends home a list of sizes, what they like etc. I love shopping for kids I know don't have a lot and will really appreciate the gifts.

As far as Christmas memories...I remember one year my dad went outside my bedroom window and started shaking jingle bells. I freaked out thinking Santa was here and I wasn't asleep-- I was afraid he wouldn't leave the toys. :lol:

Well, no specific gifts stand out from my childhood (too long ago to remember details --LOL), but I do remember Santa Claus himself appeared in my home one Christmas eve. It was a thrill for a little guy. I'm sure it was a neighbor, but I still remember it.

As for giving, the anniversary ring I gave Lucie on Christmas 14 years ago stands out. She was thrilled. I am glad to see it pass from my son to his wife this year.

As for receiving, my daughter taking me to the rock concert on Sunday is very special. Don

Katie first of all i think your idea is just fantastic.. Now as for my Christmas memories as like many we were very poor but proud,proud in the fact were taught honesty and the true meaning of Christmas.

But one Christmas i'll alway's remember and it was 1952 and my Mother had came home and informed us that we did not have money for food or Gift's. So we were all prepared to eat Navy bean's and corn bread for Christmas. Well Christmas morning came and to all our surprises the Salvation Army showed up with gift's and food.They were truly the Christmas Angel's that year and my Mother and Dad alway's swore they had not told anyone of our plight and it taught me the greatest lesson of all in giving and remembering Christ is the reason for the season..

I was a post war baby in England so even if there was money - which there wasn't - toys weren't too available.

One memory is going to see Father Christmas at the store downtown. I was convinced that I had actually gone in a real train to see him (a very slick piece of moving scenery for the early 50's).

My other memory was of our family party on Christmas day when Father Christmas came and gave away presents from the extended family (who were all at the party). I was fooled for years about any uncle who "missed" the visit and had a pile of presents to open after the fact! The magic was kept going for close to 20 years until the youngest cousin grew up.

Geri

I grew up in San Diego and my Dad's parents would come from Michigan and visit on the holidays. One year, when I was in the second or third grade, my Dad, his Dad and myself went to the playground to show off my latest talent. I could hang from the 5 foot monkey bar and drop on my head. My Dad thought this was marvel or simple retardness and invited his Dad to witness.

We walked to the elementary school after Christmas dinner and I amazed the small crowd with my talent. I later became a gymnast but to hear the ooh's when I just dropped to the ground was priceless. I think I've shook it off and am okay now. :D