It's Back for the third time

maryjo

Just told last week the adenocarcinoma is back in a walnut size spot on the outside of my rib cage. PET confirmed and also indicated very small speck on my lung. Will see onc doc Thursday. He wants eval for radiation ... already had 40 to that lung and didn't think I could have any more. Any ideas from anyone? Also wants to start me on Tarceva again. I'm reading all the positive results from the Tarceva and they are very encouraging. Along with the 40 rad treatments I did chemo of carbo and taxol and then started the Tarceva six weeks after completion. Had to stop Tarceva after only seven weeks due to extreme fatigue and weight loss. Anyone else experience these symptons?

Hi, Maryjo:

I am so sorry that you have to go through chemo again, and it is the third time. I am on my second cancer, and I truly know how you must feel.

It does sound like your Onc has a plan, and that is good.

Maybe like the old saying goes, "third time is charm?" I hope this will be it for you.

Love and prayers,

Barb

Ouch Maryjo! Did they say the new spot was bronchoalveolar too? That can be slower growing stuff.

I don't envy you going back into surgery. Too bad they couldn't find an easier way to knock it out. Is there anyway they could just "spot zap" :) the little lung spot with a very focused beam of radiation?

Maybe Don M will read your post and help fill us in how that works. :)

Barb

Maryjo,

Sorry to hear this bad news. The rad. onc. will probably want to do IMRT (focused radiation just to the tumor). My husband had this done and it really helped him--wiped out the tumor.

I'll be praying for you to get the treatment necessary to beat this monster. Take care.

Sorry to hear you have to go through this again.

Tarceva has worked it's magic on me since April 05 and I hope you get great results with it also. I never got extreme weight loss, but I have managed all the other side effects over time and with antibiotics.

Best of luck to you,

Sharon

Hi Mary Jo:

I am sorry you got it for the 3rd time. I am on my third one too. I would ask about some sort of focused radiation. IMRT is good. IGRT is a shade more accurate. Cyberknife is the most accurate. IMRT is more widely available than the other 2. It may serve your needs very adequately. They deliver a focused beam that increases in intensity when it arrives at the tumor and decreases when it leaves the tumor. IGRT does the same thing, but it has an onboard imager that can deliver real time pictures to the computer and make adjustments of the delivery to the target if needed. Cyberknife is the most accurate. It des not rely so much on imaging as the placement of metal markers in the tumor so that the robotics can follow the movement of the tumor as you breathe. For the bone, it will use the bone as landmark and the imager is used. Cyberknife can be done in 3 treatments per lesion unusually. The other 2 treatments take 33 or so. It looks like you have a good chance of attaining NED again. Good luck.

Don M

Hi,

Sorry you have to deal again with the beast. I am on Tarceva and have no side effects to mention. ( a small are of rash on my torso and about 1/2" of tiny pimples on my face). I wonder if your respone to Tarceva might have been more do to the radiation. That can really tire you out and the effects can hit you a second time 3 to 6 months after treatment.

Good luck.

Mary

Hi Mary Jo,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through chemo for a 3rd time. Hopefully this is the one that knocks out the cancer for good. As for Tarceva, I've been on it for 8 months and I haven't had any weight loss issues. On the contrary, I have to stop myself from eating everything in sight.

Good luck with your treatments.

Trish