Frank Lamb Update 12/21/2006 // 2 Options //Same Outcome

Frank Lamb

First let me say that since this cancer mess has started I have been blessed with several of the very best Drs.in the country in the fields of thoracic,radiation,and oncology.They have been there every step of the way with us and worked well with each other as well.

After completing 14 rounds of WBR and 1 X-Knife or SRS ? I have appt.late Jan 07 for MRI to monitor that.

I have been having very bad time with reflux & acid which they are giving me medicine first to try to help.If no help,I will need a stent put in my esophogus which is badly restricted.(also sometime late Jan. 07.)

The large tumor we have never been able to beat that is really giving me what for in my lung is the main culprit.( it is in cahoots with the singing fat lady I think :twisted:)All the Drs. agree that there is less than 20% chance of shrinking the tumor,because I can't have any more radiation in that area there is no chance of killing it.Even if there would be shrinkage it won't be enough or buy enough time to be worth while the effects caused by it.

OPTION 1:they will administer chemo anyway if that is what I want them to do but are sure it will only knock me down worse and harder and actually told us it won't work in end result.

OPTION 2:They are all amazed at my attitude and my ability to do all I am doing under these conditions.No chemo administered and treat any problems as they arise the best they can to give me the best quality of life possible for as long as possible.They assured me they will stay with us every step of the way including last stage hospice etc.to the end.( I'm not figuring this to happen any time soon yet 8) )

Please don't let this update discourage any of you from fighting this disease.We all need to fight it and I too intend to fight it.I assure you all I will be swinging and kicking it to the very,very last. :twisted: .I am already making golf plans for summer.

However I choose to maintain the best quality of life I can as long as I can.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank,

Firstly I want to sy your attitude is truly amazing and always has been. You are truly an example. My uncle had a stent put in and it really worked quite well for him and he healed pretty quick. Whatever you decide Frank we are all here to support you and keep that pesky singing fat lady at bay. You will remain firmly in my prayers. I hope you and Connie will be able to have a wonderful Holiday.

Frank,

you're one tough cookie! You've got to luv that wonderful attitude of yours!!! :D

** I wanted to tell you my husband also had lots of problems w/ reflux and acid, he tried everything, but what really helped him was/is a new drug called

Aciphex - it's really great! I don't know if you have tried that, but if you haven't ask your dr., because it has done wonders for my husband..

Grace

Hi Frank,

If anyone can do this, you can. I have so much faith that this can still be a managed and chronic disease. Believe me I understand how realistic you are trying to be cause I'm right behind you. Just starting WBR and hearing lots of the same.

Attitude is everything and you certainly have that.

I'm in New York and don't play golf, but I'd love to run to Pa. this summer to see your first swing off.

Joan

Frank, you are indeed, the voice of calm in the storm. You inspire us all as you continue with spirit and dignity on this journey we all know as LC. You know, my friend, that my (our...Fred too)hopes and prayers will be for good quality of life for a very long time. If wishes were cures, mine alone would have you competing in triathlons and winning them! You're always in our thoughts here at the other end of PA. You are certainly keeping up the good fight. May you win it.

Love,

Kase

Frank, you are absolutely awesome! I have no doubt at all that you'll be polishing and using your clubs next year.

You know that we're all here cheering for you in whatever route you choose to take. Your attitude and spirit are so forceful that you give me the ultimate gift - you make me forget that you are battling cancer!

You're my hero Frank, I wish you the best Christmas ever.

Geri

Frank,

I am glad you posted an update, I have been concerned about how it is going for you. This is I am sure was some tough news to take. I am sure you will be playing golf this spring. I hope you can get this acid reflux straighten out soon, so you are feeling better.

My best to you my friend.

John

Frank, I have no doubt that your doctors are fighting for you every step of the way. Knowing you, even cyberly, is to love and respect you. May your fight continue for a long, long time, may you shoot par next spring, and may you feel well and enjoy this season of peace and love.

Hang tight my friend.

Frank,

Sounds like you, Connie, and the docs had a big pow-wow. I am glad that you let us in on what is going on with you and that your plans for springtime golf are on the calendar. In addition to all the pretty good laughs, you give all of us great inspiration. I think you are amazing too. Got an ice cold draft waiting for you at the pub, my "lush"ious friend.

Cindi o'h

Frank - Gotta love the way you have tackled this beast and the brave fight you have been fighting. I'm so happy you chose to live a full life even while battling this disease. Your an inspiration to me and all the others on this board. I hope you get this acid reflux thing under control real soon as we don't want anything to interfere with your Bud Lights and Chocolate Donuts. I'm sure you will be at the top of your game for that Spring Tee Off.

Karen

Hello Frank,

I so agree with the sentiment expressed so far – attitude is everything. And so is taking control for yourself. From the posts I’ve read, your attitude is unbeatable. You’ll enjoy that golf game.

I’m sure you’re probably aware of the humorist Art Buchwald, who decided to stop his dialysis treatments nearly a year ago and check into hospice. He said a funny thing happened – he started to get better. For anyone interested, here’s a link to an article he wrote in March of this year that’s bound to bring a smile: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5524921.

Wishing you the best.

Frank,

You are such an inspiration to us and I admire your strength. You never give up and encourage others.

This is not the end, just another pothole in the road. You are a fighter and will prevail...

Is there any way you can do cyberknife? This can be done even if you have had radiation already...Praying for a positive result. Please keep us posted.

God Bless and "Merry Christmas",

Karen

Frank-

Did they say what chemo? If you can get Avastin it is a pretty easy one and a quick infusion-- also, I would ask about Tarceva-- if you can't shrink it at least it may be possible to keep it from growing. The fat lady doesn't know who she's dealing with-- have a good holiday Frank.