Treatment plan for husband

Flo Bones

Hi Everyone,

Terry and I meet with the Radiation Oncologist on Wedenesday and the Oncologist on Thursday. They decided to do a radiation/chemo combo type of treatment. Radiation is scheduled for five days a week for five weeks and chemo (Taxol and Carbo) is scheduled for once a week for five weeks. His treatment is scheduled to begin on Tuesday, January 2. What a way to start the new year. I told Terry to put on his full armour and get ready to fight.

I have a question? Is it standard procedure to have an MRI on the brain? The oncologist told us that he would give it to us IF we wanted one done. His outlook on the whole ordeal was gloom and doom. I was somewhat disappointed and depress when we left his office. But I quickly picked myself up because I know a Greater Physician. :)

Can anyone share what type of vitamins/supplements they used during treatment. I asked the radiation oncologist about supplements and he said they may interfer with the radiation. Is this true?

One more concern of mine: Terry still has a bad cough. The medication they are giving him isn't really helping. Will his cough go away when he start treatment? We were told that the cough is coming from the tumor pressing against the windpipe? Thank you all for your support and love.

Flo

I am new to the boards also but did the same type of treatment plan as your husband. I faired good with chemo and bad with radiation but is was because of the location of the tumor. Tell him to keep fighting.

Just to let you know about the MRI, I was never asked. I never took vitamins or supplements. I think I was to scard to take anything during my treatments because of chemo. I know alot of people do so I am sure they can help you more. You keep fighting for him. My prayers are with you.

Heather

Flo,

Glad to hear treatment plan is in place. As for the coughing, adeno is known for mucus production which naturally lends itself to coughing. Tony had tumor compression on one of his bronchial tubes, but chemo shrunk that off fairly quickly. His was more of a breathing issue with the tumor compression -- short of breath. Coughing should settle down as chemo/radiation progresses and shrinks the tumor.

I don't know the answer to the MRI question. Only can relate that Tony had one right before surgery and has only had one other since. We wish it was an option since his cancer has left his lungs, but he is showing no symptoms of brain mets. If you have good insurance and the doctor is offering, I'd go for a brain MRI just to be sure.

Tony did not take any vitamins/supplements other than a regular vitamin, B-6 to fight any neuropathy issues, and B-50 for mouth sores. Too much they do not know about interactions between heavy supplements and chemo and we didn't want to undermine the chemo. There is a section on the boards for info in this area.

Good luck!

Regards,

Welthy

Flo,

You have all the supplements that I take. I checked each one with my oncologist. I do not know which ones might effect radiation, but I would think that you could take the ones that do not interfere with the radiation. The problem is some doctors don’t care to check so they say take nothing but the radiation and the chemo. I do know plenty of water is good. I try to drink an 8oz glass of water for each hour I am awake. Don’t believe the poor prognosis of some doctors like you said they don’t know our chief physician. I would get the MRI of the brain it is a place to be checked and you would want to know early if there is a problem. I had an MRI and a follow up a year later.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Good luck to Terry with his teatment, Flo. I would go for the mri. My first oncologist said take all the supplements I want and my second oncologist said don't take supplements...except I took B-12 and Folic Acid to offset alimta sickenss and I took milk thistle to help my liver.

Don M

Hi Terry. I underwent the same type of treatment that your husband is about to receive. My oncologist asked that I not take supplements and I did as she asked. I faired very well through the chemo and radiation had some nasty radiation burns both front and back but those have all healed up. I asked my onc about a brain MRI and she said if I had any symptoms on indications that one was required then it would be ordered immediately but why expose me to more than was necessary. I am currently on a 3 month PET scan schedule and things are "stable".

Hi Flo

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, but please take heart in the fact that it can be beaten.

Your husband's treatment regimen is very similar to the one I went through. The concurrent chemo/radiation is not easy, but its certainly doable. Many of us (myself included), are able to keep working through treatment.

I had a Chest X-Ray, MRI, PET Scan, CT scan and bronchoscopy all in the 4-day period that I was in the hospital. I didn't ask for the MRI, it was just ordered by my doctor.

As for supplements, the only thing I took during treatment was liquid Aloe Vera to help with swallowing problems. I've added a lot of supplements post-treatment, but didn't have the attention span to keep up with drug interaction problems with supplements and chemo drugs and the many prescription drugs I was on and off during treatment.

If you'd like to ask me any questions, please feel free to PM me.

I hope the chemo/rad treatment shows great results for your husband.

Trish

Usually a brain and bone scan are done upon diagnosis to accurately assess the cancer stage. The MRI is a good idea--

What medication is he taking for the cough? John takes the cough syrup with codeine at night and tessalon perles during the day.

Good luck with treatment.

Flo,

Everyone who has responded is giving you excellent information and advice. I have nothing to add in that department, but want you to know that you and Terry are in my thoughts and prayers, and that will continue.

You are correct that he will have to be tough and strong to get through this, but it's worth it. Each time you feel down, read through all of the survivor stories on this site - there is plenty of hope out there. Don't forget to take care of yourself as well - the urge to take care of others is huge for many of us, but we can only do it to a certain point before we begin to become depleted. Make sure that you personally have some support as well!

Mary Colleen

Hi Flo,

When I was first diagnosed via XRAY, I was then scheduled for CT chest, Bone scan, MRI - Brain,Abdomen,Chest and Spine. They wanted to understand the full status of the disease. Since diagnoses, I have had one additional abdominal MRI, and several spinal MRI's and regular Chest CT's and Brain MRI's (having had mets, they do an MRI every 3 months.) I would insist on the MRI.

Mary