Hello - I'm new to this forum

Tanner

Hello. I am new to this forum. My wife was diagnosed with nsclc 17 July 2006. I took her to the hospital because she was having chest pain. We went in thinking it was a heart attack and came out with stage IV lung cancer. Mets to spine (4 spots) and in both lungs. Primary is in left upper lobe. In sept one of the most troublesome spots on the spine was radiated and started chemo late sept. Carbo/Taxol every 21 days. After round 3 the oncologist wanted to start Avastin so my wife had a brain MRI to check for brain mets. Our luck has never been that good. 2 spots on the brain. She underwent low dose whole brain radiation (12 days) in Nov and had her 4th chemotherapy in Dec. We are changing our insurance at the first of the year because our current health provider won't cover cyber knife and you can only radiate the brain once a year. And if it shows up again, we wanted the option of cyberknifing it instead of having to live with it.

We have 2 small girls - ages 3 and 5. They are very sweet and adorable and just as scared as we are. Well, maybe more. They don't understand the words (not that I do either) and don't understand the whole chemotherapy - taking medicine to make mommy sick that may or may not make mommy well. Again, I'm not sure I get it either. But I do know that if we hadn't have gone to the hospital in July and hadn't started treatment, she might not have been with us to share the holidays.

I am simply trying to take care of my family the best that I can and celebrate every day that we are together.

Thanks

Tanner

Hi Tanner: I am very sorry that you all have to be burdened with this. I especially hate it when young people and young families have to deal with lc. I may be doing cyberknife next month for a lung tumor. I don't know for sure if my insurance will cover it or not. I guess I will find out soon enough. Good luck to you and your wife with her treatment.

Don M

Tanner, welcome here. My heart aches for you, guy. I have walked in your shoes, but you and your wife are much younger. My wife had Stage IV NSCLC with mets to spine, hip, skull, leg bone and rib. her first chemo was carboplatin/taxotere, similar to your wife's treatment. She also had radiation to the spine, hip and leg bone. She was given 9 months, but she lived a good life for 4 years. Most of that time, she was on some type of chemo. I wish you all the best. Please keep us informed and ask for what you need. Don

Hi Tanner. I know it has to be scary for you, I see what my lc does to my husband having stage 3b NSCLC. I also have 2 girls 2 and 4 yr old. They are so confused sometimes and they do not understand why mommy is so tired and can't play. Try to keep your spirits up. Keep fighting!!! My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Heather_T

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. And it pulled on all our heart strings. My baby was 7 with my first cancer diagnosis, and I remember that fear so vividly. I could not go in the pool with him that summmer.

How is your support network? don't be afraid to ask for help from friends and neighbors.

Stay close by

gail

PS My baby just turned 21.

Hi Tanner

My husband and I have children also. Ours are a little older (12 and 16) but it is hard for them to comprehend what is going on too. They tend to just assume the world is wonderful and by pleading ignorance all will get better. It is probably better for them that way. I am really sorry about your wife's diagnosis., we are new at this too. My husband was diagnosed in October and is taking chemo now. Your wife seems to be getting quick treatment which is great. There is alot to learn and I find that on this site alot of "real" information. I spend alot of time looking at everyone's diagonsis and treatment plans...so that I know what other options are out there. It is a whole new world and we just need to be positive as possible for the kids and our spouses. It is alot of hard work trying to run the household and manage the kids - and work. Just try to take a few minutes for yourself every now and then to take deep breaths and regroup. All the best and keep in touch.

Heather

Tanner,

I simply hurt for you and your wife and girls. No young family should have such a burden. Do remember that this is beatable, no matter what the statistics say. Hold your little girls close, and make sure that they feel completely secure no matter what. I hope that you have good nearby support. Please keep us posted.I'll be watching for your posts!

Mary Colleen

Hi Tanner, I'm so sorry that you and your wife and your little girls have to deal with this horrid disease. My children are 11, 9 and 5 and it is so hard at times, trying to explain to them as best we can what is going on and at the same time trying to make them feel safe and secure. My heart just aches for people having to go through this, but to have to do it with young children just makes me so angry. Children should be able to grow up innocent and carefree, not having to worry if their parent is going to die.

I finished six rounds of chemo, carbo/taxol w/avastin, in November. It shrunk my cancer a lot and now I get just the avastin in the hopes that it will keep the cancer from growing back. I am feeling great and I believe that the treatment is working. I have scans in february so I won't know until then how things really are.

Please keep us posted. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Tracy

Welcome. I am glad you found us. As a caregiver, it is not easy to talk to friends or family-- it helps to come here with people that have been there and understand. It's hard enough to go through this but harder still with children. Keep us posted on how he does. It would be helpful if you filled out your profile also so we know what state you are in etc.

Tanner, my heart aches for you. I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. I know it's scary, because my husband was just diagnoised with nsclc stage IIIA on December 6 and will be starting chemo and radiation next week. I'll tell you a little secret...I'm still scared. Please know that you are not alone. I will be praying for you and your family. The members on this site have given me so much encourgement and support. Stay positive

Tanner,

Welcome, you will find a lot of support here. Cancer can be very scary, but the more positive you can be, the better your chances of beating this are. I am a strong believer in a positive attitude. This is one of the hardest things to do. It took me a short time to become positive. A verse that helped me a lot was Mathew 6:27 “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?” I thought how true this is and that worrying could actually make my disease worse. Keep us informed. We are here to help.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Tanner,

So very sorry that you have to be in this situation. It really honks me off to see such young people being hit with lung cancer. Welcome to a site that will make a world of difference in your family's journey.

Your wife is receiving aggressive treatment and that is a good thing. My husband had the same combo for 8 cycles and it helped. He also presented with a lot of cancer in both lungs, and he is 21 months out from diagnosis. Hopefully your wife's youth will help her go far in this battle!

As numb as you probably feel right now, you have to be positive for her sake. We really feel that Tony's upbeat attitude has played a significant role in his survival to date. I've followed his lead and we regularly laugh at some of the weird things that happen to him as a result of chemo. Love, laughter, and family is key here.

Hoping for good news in 2007 for your family and keep in touch -- you have a lot on your plate now. Take care of yourself too!

Welthy

I am thrilled that everyone thinks we are so young! We decided to have children later in life. My wife had her 50th birthday 3 weeks before the diagnosis. Some days we feel a lot older than we are and some days we feel a lot younger. Too young to have such extensive cancer, really old in how tired we are from . . . everything.

Thank you all for your support and kind words. We are doing our best to keep our chins up and a positive attitude. We have to, for the kids. There is a lot to live for.

Thanks

Tanner

Tanner,

I'm sorry to hear your wife has to go through this with little ones at home. I'm in the middle of aggressive chemo now and I have three kids, (It is hardest to give the baby attention now).

The fight is worth it, to stay well for them.

Your family is in my prayers

Lilly

Hello Tanner and welcome

I am sorry you had the need to find a site such as this one, but very happy you have joined us. Please let us know how we can be of help and rest assured that these wonderful people in this community will do everything we can to help you and your wife along this journey.

Have a look at some of the postings in the good news forum and you will find a ton of positive messages and a lot of HOPE. There is so much support on this site, maybe it would he helpful for your wife to join us, or at least read some of the messages posted by our many survivors.

Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers,

Chris

Hi, Tanner, and welcome to this loving lung cancer survivors support group.

I am so sorry that your young children are affected by their mother's illness, and just hope and pray that your wife will get excellent treatment that will work well for her and put her in remission.

Sending prayers to you, your wife, and family, that there will be brighter and better days to come with casting out the cancer.

Barb

Sorry you need to be here Tanner, but this site is wonderful. I hope it provides you and your family with hope. I was given a poor prognosis 2 and a half years ago, but am still here fighting the fight.

Just remember that fighting this illness is as much as living your life. Sometimes hearing the words "be positive" can be the last thing you want to hear.

I wish you and your wife the best,

Sharon

Tanner, my heart goes out to you. I'm so glad you found this wonderful community. Please keep posting, and soon as you get a chance, create a profile like you see under most of our messages. Then anytime you make a change, all of your messages that have a profile attached will automatically update with the new information. This will save you a lot of time: no need to provide background every time you post; just plunge into the subject at hand.

Never hesitate to ask about anything that may be of concern to you, no matter how obscure or trivial it may seem. I can just about guarantee there will be people here who've had the same concern and have probably come up with a solution or explanation that can make your life a little bit easier.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned