Our New Year's Eve - Joel's in the hospital/updated

Maryanne

Hi all,

It's 4:00 in the morning and I just got home from the ER. I took Joel there at 11:30 (Happy New Year) :cry: because he was sleeping most of the day from being in so much pain. He only ate a little cereal all day. The Oxycodin did nothing for his pain. He said it was the worse pain ever...bone pain around 11:00 PM he felt warm I took his temperature and it was 102. So I know that anything over 100.4 is concern for infection after chemo.

So off we went to emergency. We did not go to his doctor’s hospital as that was kind of far and being New Years it was close to 12:00 so we opted to go just up the street to another hospital.

When we got there for some reason his fever was normal :roll: but since he was in such pain they wanted to take care of that and give him some tests.

His white count was down to 3.5 which it was 10.5 on Tuesday the day of his chemo. So we don't understand how that happened since he got his Neulasta shot the day after chemo to take care of that.

They are watching some cultures for 24 hrs, but don't know what kind. His chest X-ray shows some kind of hazy shadow which they think may be the beginning of Pneumonia . I know he had a Pneumonia shot that is suppose to be good for 5 years. Can you get pneumonia when you have that shot?? He did develop a cough which sounded congested even though he did not feel congested.

So anyway, they admitted him and they gave him IV pain medicine, which took away his pain and he was feeling really good when I left. They are also giving him IV with 2 antibiotics.

So that is where he is now, and will be home tomorrow. I am just thrilled that they took care of his pain and if he was home he would be going through probably another painful restless night. He has had pain since Friday night, but it really hit last night and today. I know he is probably sleeping peacefully right now. :)

So that's our New Years Eve. But at least we had a great Christmas with most of my family. The last of my Florida relatives left this morning. We had that choice, chemo on the 16th that would make him not be around for Christmas or change it to the 26 and be down for New Years. That was a no brainier.

Will keep you posted on how my honey is doing.

So glad 2006 is gone and 2007 is here, I wish nothing but the best of health to my family here and their love ones and also hopefully a cure for this monster :twisted: of a disease.

With all this going on, there was some good news today. My EAGLES took the NFC EAST, Dallas pooped out (sorry Katie) So the Eagles have home field advantage when they beat those stinkin Giants next week.

E-A-G-L-E-S.... EAGLES!!!!!!!!

Maryanne :wink:

I know how scary things can be right now not knowing of course, what is going on, but hang in there. Sometimes the hospital is the best place to be to let the body recover and regroup. Sending prayers and thoughts for good news. :)

Go Eagles, The Giants cost my team to get knocked out of the playoffs and that was the only thing out of 3 possible scenarios, that cost them that playoff spot. :x Green Bay and the Panthers won but the Giants messed things up for us!!

It sounds like the ER trip caught everything before it got worse-- sounds like you nipped the pneumonia and hopefully an infection before it got a chance to take off. It's good they did the blood cultures, hopefully nothing will grow. I am so glad they made him comfortable...happy 2007 Maryanne.

Talk about a crazy way to spend New Year's Eve! I'm glad the hospital was able to manage Joel's pain and that he seems to be doing better now. I'm with you -- I'm glad 2006 is in the books and I'm looking forward to a wonderful 2007 for all of us. Take care of yourself while you take care of Joel.

Trish

p.s.: "those stinkin Giants"? Them's fighting words! May the best team win (go Giants!).

Maryanne,

I am so glad you took Joel to the ER and that he is comfortable now. My husband had his last round of chemo on Dec. 11 and had the Neulasta shot as well. We had a great Christmas with our family but he has a nasty cold now and has spent most of the last 3 days in bed and is quite congested. I hate the worry and wait and see what is developing. Hopefully the antibiotics will knock whatever is causing Joel discomfort in the butt.

Here's to a great 2007. It has to be better than 2006.

Mendy

Marianne,

I was so upset to hear about Joel's pain and fever and the whole thing. What a way to spend New Years Eve. But on the positive side, he's being taken care of and the pain is being knocked out so he can rest. Please try to take care of yourself as well. My very best wishes to you both for a Healthy and Happy 2007.

Let us know how he's doing, ok?

Joanie ((()))

Maryanne,

So sorry to hear about your New Year's Eve ER trip, but I'm glad that Joel was able to get some relief from the pain. I agree with you that I'm glad this year is over and am also looking forward to a brighter and better 2007. May we all be much healthier and happier this year!

Hope Joel comes home today as expected, feeling better and that you two can relax and enjoy what is left of the holiday.

And yes - Go EAGLES!!!!!

Sharon

Maryanne,

So glad you folks got that pain resolved and hopefully nipped anything brewing in the bud.

Hoping Joel feels better and that you could get some rest.

The only Eagles I know are our Cape Breton Screaming Eagles - Hockey Team. Go I guess I can holler - "Go Eagles Go" too!

Val

Maryanne,

Sorry to hear that Joel is in hospital, but glad to hear the pain is under control. (At least you "went out" for New Year's Eve! :wink: ) The Neulasta takes 7+ days to work, so his counts could have tanked again from the current chemo and may rise this week. Keeping fingers crossed here!

And, yea though the Bears stunk-up Chi-town pretty bad last night...

GO BEARS!!!

The road to the Super Bowl is THROUGH Chicago!!

(And if this is not the year, we Chicago sports fans are very patient! :lol: )

Welthy

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.

They moved him to a private room today and are keeping him another day. So hopefully he will be home tomorrow.

He is doing well, but very tired, so he is resting comfortably. He does not want any phone calls, just from our son and daughter, as he really needs to rest.

I have to go back to the hospital and will keep you guys informed.

Maryanne :wink:

MaryAnne,

Sorry to hear Joel had to spend New Years in the hospital but hopefully they can get him better and pain free to be back home soon. (((((MaryAnne & Joel)))). Hug from me for a better 2007. I'm sure glad to see 2006 go.

I'm glad your guests are gone as I know that is added stress..Mine are leaving in two more days!

Lilly

I am sorry to hear that Joel was in such pain. I am glad that you took him to the hospital and that they took such good care of him. Please tell him hello for me and let him know that he and you are both in my prayers for a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Carol