Jump to content

New Here


palves

Recommended Posts

Hi I'm new to this forum and to LC. My dad was recently dx with NSCL, adenocarcinoma. We are waiting the results from the PET scan and a 2nd meeting w/ the onc. to determine stage and treatment. His bone scan and brain MRI came back clear - thankfully ..

Just waiting on pins and needles, trying to deal with every day life, and trying to learn as much as I can before our next appt.

What initially sent him to the Dr was a "feeling of faintness" at times, low blood pressure, high pulse rate. They first thought it was pneumonia and my mother thought it was diabetic neuropathy. He has also lost about 20 lbs. He looks VERY thin ... He says he is having shortness of breath now as well and his leg is bothering him which maybe from a pinched nerve or something like that. An u/s this week showed no blood clots.

Wondering too if he will be denied participating in any clincial trials due to his (insulin dependent) diabetes. Does anyone know anything about that?

Warm hugs to you all.

Paula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to see the onc today. Good news is that it has not spread at all - staged at 3B. 2 options given chemo/radiation for 6 weeks or clinical trial of 3 drugs - Carboplatin, paclitaxel (Taxol) and Gemzar.

So torn at what to do. Radiation on the one hand will really help to kill the suckers, but will stink as far as going every day and the throat effects. Plus its a more standard therapy. Or do we try something new that might not be so agressive. We are thinking of going w /the clinical trial as it might be a bit easier on dad, he needs to get his nurishoment and I'm quite concerned about the radiation effects that might preventing him from eating and stuff like that. I honestly don't think he can handle going for treatment every single day. He has to be first tested further for acceptance into the trial.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you had a choice, how did you decide?

Paula

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paula, if I were you, I'd try to push for surgery or inquire about it. If they say that your Dad is not a candidate inquire about Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) to the lungs. From what I've been reading, the best way to beat this thing is to surgically remove the primary tumor. Keep us posted and good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...