Melissa Zagon

Ry

This is the annoucement I received from LUNGevity today:

Dear Friends of LUNGevity,

On behalf of the entire Board of Directors and staff of LUNGevity, it is with the deepest regret that I am writing to inform you that Melissa Lumberg Zagon died yesterday, on January 2, 2007. For the past six years, Melissa defied the odds associated with advanced lung cancer and lived an extremely productive and rewarding life. As a LUNGevity Foundation co-founder, former president and chairperson, she spearheaded our successful efforts to increase funding for lung cancer research and to grow and transform LUNGevity into the nationally-renowned organization that it is today.

Melissa was the heart and soul of the LUNGevity Foundation. We will sincerely miss the incredible enthusiasm, wisdom, and energy that she brought to every situation. She inspired everyone she met by living these past six years with such dignity and fully embracing the mantra, Every Second Counts.

Melissa showed all of us that it is possible to turn unfortunate situations into opportunities to help others. We are committed to sustaining these efforts and to achieving LUNGevity's mission. With your continued support, we can accomplish what Melissa wanted - a cure for lung cancer.

In lieu of flowers, if you would like to make a donation in Melissa's memory, please visit www.lungevity.org.

Melissa and her husband, Glenn, have an eight-year-old daughter, Hannah. She is the daughter of Sherry and Edward Lumberg, and sister of Michael Lumberg.

The funeral will be held on Friday, January 5, 2007 at 11 a.m. at Congregation BJBE at 901 Milwaukee Avenue, in Glenview.

Sincerely,

Cindy Collins

President

LUNGevity Foundation

What a brave lady she was!! She will be missed by so many people. She had touched numerous people's lives. Her enthusiasm was contageous.

This is a sad day.

Rest in peace, Melissa.

My deepest condolences goes out to all her family, associates and friends.

Heaven has a received a gift.. named Melissa.

Maryanne :cry:

My deepest condolences and most heartfelt prayers at this time. It is so sad to lose such a courageous and inspirational person to this disease. My Thanks for all she has done to help battle this disease.

I signed on today looking for more information about Melissa, I received the notice, too. lit a fire under my butt to work for HER, and for a cure for lung cancer. her story of activism is one of a kind, but her 'cancer story' is too often repeated.