Radiation When will it stop

Heather_T

For those of you who had a hard time eating and drinking at times eating nothing. When can I eat bread again????LOL It still hurts to eat a baked potato and drink real cold stuff. I ended Rad. treatment Dec. 15. I was on break for 3 weeks and thought I would be able to eat a cheeseburger before my next chemo. NOOOOOOT!!! Thanks for listening.

Heather_T

Heather,

I believe you are at a point when I was beginning to finally get some relief, but I can't remember when I could actually eat bread. Bread is rather dry and scratchy, and I avoided those two feelings - together or separate - at all costs after the irritation began.

Easiest thing for me was Double Stuf Oreos - good thing they're my favorite! (And at 70 calories a cookie, that was about the only time since I was 25 that I could "afford" to eat them and not gain a ton!)

I had problems drinking - swallowing liquid was most uncomfortable. I truly cannot remember when "real food" was once again in my diet, it just happened gradually over a month or so.

Good luck!

Ask your doctor about oral lidocaine. It is supposed to numb the esophagus when you swallow. My friend's son needed this for post-surgery throat irritation from being intubated.

Magic mouthwash helps a lot of folks, too. It contains other ingredients to help with mouth/throat soreness. You have to ask your doctor for a prescription...they usually know what you're referring to. It's mixed by the pharmacist and I don't know the proper name for it.

Hope you get to have that burger soon!

Karen

Hi,

I had a some what easier time and could eat most soft foods in small bites. Liquids were also necessary to take in sips, not mouthfuls. I know it's strange but coke felt better than anything else I drank.

But I hear you on the cheeseburger!

Mary

Heather,

My dad really came around about 3 months after. I know that seems like forever, but you might talk to the doc about "stretching" that area also, to help. They offered that to dad, but he said no, and lately has been fine.

Best of luck!

Jen

This is going to sound REALLY strange (at least it did to us while Mom was going thru it) but Mom was able to eat the burger part out of a very LARGE CHAIN HAMBURGER PLACE even when she could no longer eat the bread.

So, maybe you can try the cheeseburger...just try it without the bread?

Hi Heather :D

I have been meaning to get back to your post but somehow never made it :x

If I remember correctly, it took my mom a good month and maybe a little longer to be able to swallow comfortably. Her biggest problem was not taking in enough calories so she lost waaaay too much weight.

Make sure you eat whatever feels ok and try and load up on high caloric stuff. My mom was able to tolerate icecream so we made her endless *fortified* shakes.

Hope this helps and it will get better!

Libby

Thanks for all your replies. It gives me some idea of what to expect. I have lost lot of weight since this has started and can't seem to keep any on. Ice cream is to cold and hurts, beef is to rough ohhhhhhh how that hurts. I drink 2 boosts a day which are a little bit easier to get down now. Nothing taste good at all!!!! Thanks for listening.

Heather_T

Yeah, I lost weight, too...

BUT, about eight months or so after radiation completed, I started packing it on eight pounds a month - thyroid issues. If you start gaining a lot of weight, have your GP test your thyroid levels regularly....

I had trouble, Heather. My wonderful hubby made me PERFECT milkshakes.....not too thick.....not too thin.....not too cold. Seems a couple of those each day and I had no problem keeping up the weight. Oh how I wish I had the problem of trying to keep weight ON now!!!!! Hope you find what works for you.

Kasey

I also drank lots of milkshakes. Here is my recipe for a 1200 to 1400 calorie shake. It helps that I am a chocoholic.

3 scoops chocolate ice cream

2 chocolate boost,

1 scoop chocolate carnation instant breakfast

Squirt in a whole bunch of Hershey chocolate syrup and run through the blender

A couple of shakes a day helped me keep the weight on. If they were too cold, my wife would put them in the microwave for about 15 seconds. She also bought me lots of those pudding and Jell-O cups to snack on. Meats were too painful to swallow and putting them through the blender made me loose what ever appetite I had. She made me lots of eggs (mostly over easy) for a good source of protein. Well cooked pasta with cheese sauces was tolerable (Marinara was untouchable). Fresh vegetable salads were hard to swallow but fresh steamed spinach became one of my favorites.

I am not sure what your doctors told you but mine were very insistent that I maintain my weight. The kept reminding me that a feeding tube was an option.