Help, Help, Help

Aliboo

To All, First of all, I would like to thank everyone who has offered me advice. I really do appreciate it. My problem now is how do we deal with this pain. I am getting mad. I feel that the Onocoligist needs to be more aggresive. Van is getting sick from all the pain meds. He cannot keep food down. ANY kind of food. The chat with Dr. West helped. He said mabey consult an Anesthesiologist (sorry about the spelling) I am afraid that he will just give up because the pain is so bad. He is on Nexium, Morhine, Oxicodone,and he is alos taking a stool softener. He is frustrated. He is also 6'2" and weighs only 125 or less. I'm the one here all the time and nobody seems to understand what he is going through except me. It seems they could get this under control. Please if anyone has any Ideas. I do try to listen to everyone that replies. I just feel that no one on this end is listening to me. P.S. Off suject : how do you create the list of treatments and other things that I see at the bottom of everyones profile? Thanks Aliboo

Pain was a huge issue for my mom..the only thing that gave her relief was the Duragesic patches, and they really worked...as well as the "suckers" for breakthrough pain. Oral morphine never worked for her and she was taking so much hydrocodone before switching to fetanyl/duragesic patches that it was crazy.

Simply tell the doctor that the pain is not acceptable. There are some tradeofs between a lot of drugs and mental clarity...but right now it seems that the first goal should be to manage the pain. Stay on the doctors!!! There are very few people with whom the pain can not be managed.

Thinking of you. It is so painful to see someone you love in pain.

So very sorry that the pain is so bad. I know exactly how you feel, as I dealt with the exact same issues when my husband was ill. He was on so many meds for pain that it was a struggle to keep him awake and alert long enough to try and get him to eat something. At times, I felt like it was a toss up between him being pain free or starving to death. His doctor finally ordered radiation and that seemed to alleviate a lot of the pain issues. By doing that, there were fewer pain meds needed. The doctor prescribed two medications to help increase Dennis' appetite...Megace and Marinol. One worked better than the other but I'm not sure which was the better of the two. I know how frustrating this can be. I will be thinking of you and praying that you can find some answers.

Believe it or not, one members husband got relief from tremendous pain with over the counter Advil gel caps when the prescription stuff failed to work. You just never know.

Most hospitals have a pain management clinic- see if you can get a referral. Please let us know how it goes.

So sorry about this pain issue.

Our hospital has a specific professional person for lung cancer patients who follows everyone and acts as an advocate and go-between when patient issues arise that they need help with. Please contact his hospital and check for someone like this or, like Katie said, a Social worker.

If the oncologist won't respond, you need the back-up help!

Hoping and praying for some relief.

Welthy

We are starting to deal with this very issue with my mom! My next move is a pain management doc. who deals w/cancer patients a lot if we don't get anything different from her onc. on 1/11/07.

I will be writing down the meds mentioned in the responses and ask him about them. I'll keep you posted!

Good Luck!!!

Kelly :)

Thanks Again Everyone, At least I now have a list of things to ask where before I had no clue. This is still all too new for Us. The pain has been an issue from day 1. The radiation and chemo did help a little. Now it seems like he has built up a tollerance to the pain meds. I wish it were that he has built up a tollerance to the pain instead. The last time he went to the Dr. She was kinda not happy that he lost more weight but has not effectively addressed the pain. Then again I'm not really sure what goes on in there. I am deaf and I don't know what all he tells her or visa-versa. I told him today he has to be more agressive and demand that they do something instead of sitting there and taking it all as is. This is really beating him up. I thank everyone. I have never heard of some of these things before now, then again I never had to take care of somebody that had cancer before either. Thanks, ALiboo