brain lesions

lennonsgirl

hi, all:

mom got her ct scan today and the doctor called this evening...2 lesions on the brain...wants us to come to the emergency room right now to have those radiated...what does this mean? what should we be asking? anyone receiving treatment have experience with this?!!!! i'm scared crapless right now but trying to remain calm in front of her...i just don't know what to do!!!HELP!!!

LG

I don't know why your moms' dr. told her to go into the ER, the first thing I would ask is where in the brain are the lesions? and why the urgency in radiating. My husband had and continues to have several brain mets, new and reocurring and while it was very important to get him radiated (WBR - 1st time and IMRT for the reoccurance), there was no emergency, meaning that he was usually scheduled for rad. within a couple of days.

Besides asking where and why, I would also ask what dosage of rad. they would be using, and also if there is any swelling in her brain ( my husband has that), I don't know if she is on any type of steroids, but if she isn't I would ask the dr. his/her take on that ( it is given to help any swelling)....

...I just want to let you know..that brain mets can respond very well to rad. of course everyone is different.

I know you're scared, I remember when I first found out about my husbands brain mets, it was too much. But please know they can be treated.

Your mom will be fine, just remember you can ask the drs. whatever, there is no thing as a stupid ?. I am wishing the best for your mom. Please update me as to how she is doing.

Grace

I agree that it's hard for me to understand why it would be an emergency if she is not having significant symptoms. This is usually managed in the outpatient setting as something to be dealt with in a timely way, within a few days, but not a dire emergency.

The other thing that could be considered is stereotactic radiation, also called Gamma Knife radiosurgery, which is very focused radiation that is given in just a single session to one or a few places, but not the whole brain. This is most attractive as an option when there are just 1-3 lesions in the brain.

Thank you for the advice!! Mom was admitted last night into the hospital to start steroids and anti-seizure medication as a precaution. They are attempting to schedule her with outpatient radiation beginning today but we will see. When I left the emergency room she was her usual self...fierce and firey!!! I hope that is a good sign. Haven't talked to the oncologist or radiation oncologist yet, though.

Hi,

I agree that you should consider stereotactic radiation. Is your mother having seizures? When my brain mets were discovered, it was not treated as an emergency - in fact they weren't treated for 2 months. (I was asymptomatic).

Your Mom should understand what options are available to her and why one would be more beneficial than another.

Good luck.

Mary

she had no seizures. her symptoms are headaches, some blurred vision in her right eye and she wobbles when she walks. the doctor (who is not her primary oncologist) said he wanted her to come in to have steroids and anti-seizure medication as a precaution. she said her head still hurts ocassionally but not as much as it did before the steroids...must have helped some swelling or something. the doctor said that she'll get radiation (i wasn't at the hospital when she had this convo with him) 5 Xs a week again to her head now. she is supposed to see her regular radiation oncologist tomorrow morning and then they are going to release her. my mom said, "i want to ask dr. what my chances are." i said to her, "you guys are not numbers!! i don't care about numbers and chances and statistics. all i know is that we all need to bring our A games to this because I'm not ready to let you go." i'm only 28!!

Please listen to Dr. West. He knows what he is talking about...I too have had brain mets three times, two surgeries (no pain) Stereotactic for residuals cells and Cyberknife, almost the same as Gammaknife. Go to cyberknifeforum.org/support or accuray.com This is new technology for brain mets...if nothing else just read the info...

Prayers and blessings,

Karen

I too like Dr. West's common sense responses. Swelling in the brain appears to be one of the biggest problems to deal with, thus the steroids. Am working on getting off steroids for my fourth brain met. My daughter is 28 also and I want to be around for her and the other kids and grand children for quite some time, Forget the numbers and fight this with your mom. Your support will be priceless for her. God bless you and family. prayers for you all. pammie

Where to begin?! Well, Mom was home for all of one day...not even a 24 hour period! I think it was a case of too much too soon. She took one steroid pill this morning, had breakfast and then left for her radiation appt. I hadn't heard from her all day. Called her cell and got no answer. Well, she called me. She had been to the Social Security office and to see about her pension AND went to visit a woman who was friends with my grandparents. When she came home she was SICK!! The pain in her head was awful. So bad that I was scared and called an ambulance. They redid a scan of her head and saw no changes so they started her up again on steroids, pain meds and fluids.

She just started the stereostatic radiation on Wednesday. Had no bad reaction to it. She is supposed to do that for 2-3 weeks. This evening really scared the crap out of me! I didn't know what to do for her and I hated seeing her in pain like that. A nurse she had just this week said, "I know her. She was just up and talking and walking and everything!" I told her I thought it was a case of my mom thinking of herself as being absolutely fine because she felt so good from the steroids (and hopefully the radiation).

The radiation oncologist says it's good that she responded so well to steroids alone (this was before this evening's insanity & my near mental breakdown). She said my mom having 2 lesions was better and her age and having no other medical problems except for the cancer. She saw a neurologist and he said no stint or drainage was necessary. Saw a physical therapist and she said no cane or walker was necessary. And then today happened because she didn't take care of herself. Why would she think she could go all day without eating? Without having water? Without resting? Without medicine? I'll have to ask her tomorrow when I go to the hospital. She really gave me a fright because I want us to have a chance to fight this disease!!! I guess that was a little bit of venting & updating all in one.

Thanks as always for being there and "listening" you awesome people!!!

You are ok with venting and what not. We do it and support it, allow it, whatever, just do it. Mom may have had one of those I need to do this. Oh yeah, while I am out, Why not see this person, Maybe I should do this while I am out and about, days. You think of things as the day goes along, and then you wonder my, how time flies moments. Peave and prayers for you and family today. Hope things are better today.

Mom went into cardiac arrest last night. She's not responsive and the doctors keep saying it doesn't look good. I just got a call from the social worker asking for me to come back to the hospital. "No rush" she said "but your mom is very ill and we want you to talk to the doctor." So I'm waiting to see if a friend will be able to drive me and my uncle in (I don't own a car). I was not expecting this. I was expecting to fight the cancer not cardiac arrest...and no one seems to know why. She wasn't hooked up to anything for vitals (I suppose--when I left after they put her in a room she only had fluid on her) so that may be why she's unresponsive...too long not having her heart beating. I'm dying on the inside. We were supposed to get a chance to fight and now it looks like she may be leaving me. I am so scared and I just want her to be awake and here with me.