I am so sick

Robin

I had my first chemo treatment Friday a week ago and I have been sick as a dog. I already had to have a shot because my blood count was low plus and IV of fluids because I was dyhrated from the vomiting and dirahea. I am on a 21 day cycly and will this get better with my taste and aptetite before the next treatment? I pray so.

Hello. Bummer that you are suffering so. I don't have experience with your particular chemo meds, my wife is on carbo/taxol. She is on 3 anti-nausea meds - ativan, dolasetron, and compazine. If I were you I would talk to my doctor about these symptoms. You should not be suffering like this. Call today and get some advice. We have discovered that the further away from the treatment that we are, say like 2 weeks after a treatment, the nausea got better. But we had to get in front of it. We waited until the nausea started and never got it under control the first time. Now I have her start the dolasetron the day of chemo. She is always on the compazine and ativan. It has really helped us. Hope you find something that helps you. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Tanner

Robin,

So sorry you are feeling so yucky. Tanner is right. For people who experience the whole nausea thing, you must get "ahead" of it before it gets you. There are many (expensive) anti-nausea meds out there like Kytril, etc. Check with your doctor on this -- you shouldn't have to suffer so much.

We watch the clock while they run Tony's "goodie-bag" and make sure he takes his first dose of anti-nausea pills six hours from that time and then for three days following. We've been cutting back on them at the end, trying to move to two days, because he's never experienced any nausea. He's just on compazine, but we don't want to push his luck too much. :wink:

My girlfriend (SCLC) had a horrific time with the nausea and vomiting, but wouldn't listen to us about staying ahead of the nausea. For some people, and it seems women in particular, they get hammered pretty hard with this problem during chemo. No rhyme or reason to who gets nausea.

Please call your Doctor and let us know how you are doing. He can be reached, even on the weekends! (Oh, and you should start to feel better and have some good time before the next round.)

Hoping you will be doing better,

Welthy

Sometimes the stuff that makes the Chemo is so potent it would scare people to know what all is in it. The body may just be adjusting and then on the next one be used to it. It is kind of like a shock to the whole body when introduced I think. Ask your Doctor about what meds they are giving for nausea. They usually IV something but it will vary somewhat.

Call your doctor, you should not be suffering like this. There are so many options when it comes to nausea pills...just have to find what works for you...but you may have to push your onc to start experimenting NOW.

Thinking of you.

Let me be clear that my chemo was for the breast cancer, but . . .

My first treatment was the worst. The minute the nausea hit I had a meltdown and took to my bed. The next two days were tough. Looking back I think anxiety was a major factor, because while the next treatment was not easy, I treated it like the flu and took it easy.

I had all the anit nausea drugs, but when a friend who was a chemo nurse recommended ativan following the treatment, life was good.

Good luck

gail

Definately call your doctor and get something to help, you should not be sufferiing like that.

With my mom she usually gets sick 48 hrs after her chemo and it lasts 3 days. She has had 2 treatments so far and has been the same after each. The doctor has given her kytril and lorezapam. The kytril is specifically for nausea and the lorezapam is for anxiety. The lorezapam makes her very delirious but the combo of this with the kytril seems to get her through the rough time. We just can't leave her alone as she is very disoriented and unstable on her feet. It's all worth it so she isnt suffering.

No one should suffer.....

-Danielle

I am with the others. Do whatever you can to stay ahead of the game...dad took the meds constantly, also, he had pretzels at his bedside to help fend the nausea...he got more sick when his stomach was empty than when there was something in there.

God bless anad best of luck....

Jen