Introduction

Traci

Hi I am 45 and my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer last July. She seems to be weakening quickly since October. She coughs deeply, can not walk up the stairs without being completely winded and sitting down to catch her breath, is getting thinner and many secondary aches and pains. I realize this website states it is for lung cancer victims, but I think I qualify as I love my mother dearly and we are very close. Unfortunately I live 1000 kilometers (700 miles) away from her and have 3 teenagers and a husband to look after. The good news is I have been able to see her every month since she was diagnose, however now she is weakening I feel the need to be down with her. Does anyone know about these symtpoms and what they lead to, or are they a product of the cancer growing and choking off the blood vessel that does air exchange? Her tumor is directly over the bronchus where the air exchange happens. So far there is no metastisization elsewhere, but a cat scan was just done, we will know the results on Monday. I need someone to talk to about the emotional distress I am experiencing as I try very hard to not bother my Mom with myself being upset. Luckily my stepdad is great and doing his best to take care of mom and keep her worry free. Unfortunately my Mom is a worrier and that adds to her stress. Somehow we will get through this and I hope we have years left but I fear not.

Traci

Hi Traci!

I'm glad you posted, but SO sorry you find yourself in need of this site. OF COURSE you are welcome here! Family members are victims, too. The site has an area especially for family members/caregivers - you've probably seen it by now.

I just wanted to welcome you. MANY here will help you (and your Mom) to navigate this difficult journey...and I expect they'll be along any time, now. :wink:

As for symptoms, I can't help with your questions. But, I CAN send prayers, hugs, and BEST healing wishes your way!!! So, I am!

Hang in there!!!

Yours in HOPE!

Stacey

Traci,

Welcome to the boards. I am fairly new also and have felt most welcome and comfortable here. I am on a similar journey with my mom and can understand the emotional stress you are going through. I have already found tons of support here and am sure you will also. Please message anytime if you would like to chat/vent/whatever...

I'm sorry I don't have the answers for your mom's specific symptoms, but I'm sure some posters behind me will have great info, they always do :)

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.

-Danielle

Hi, Traci, and a BIG welcome to the LCSC! I think you'll find there are just as many spouses, sons, daughters, and siblings posting here as there are people who themselves have the disease -- probably more. Cancer most definitely affects the whole family, but can actually bring a family closer together (in spite of miles) as they join forces to combat a common enemy. It causes us to rearrange our priorities, to set aside petty annoyances and concentrate on the truly important things in life.

For anyone to answer your question about what is "normal," we would need some details about your mom's treatment (especially chemotherapy and radiation) up to this point. Often the treatment itself, while necessary, is more responsible for fatigue and shortness of breath than the cancer. The CT scan results should tell you if the tumor is shrinking, growing, or stable and whether suspicious areas have developed elsewhere. We'll all be hoping for a good report!

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Welcome, Traci, but sorry you had to find us. As Dazy said, there are many here who are family members and/or caregivers to someone who has lung cancer and anyone effected by this disease is welcome!

Not knowing your mom's treatment history I can't say for sure...but I know that my mom gets extremely fatigued after radiation treatments end, usually a week or two after. She told me just last night that she "feels" wonderful, her butt's just dragging very badly and she has no strength. Hopefully that gives you a little insight, at least.

Again, glad to have you here...welcome to the LCSC Family! Many prayers for you and your mom!

Welcome here Tracy, sorry you had to find us but glad you did. This way we could help your through this and can answer your questions.

But like some posts before this, we would have to know more about your moms LC (what kind, stage etc) and what treaments she has had so far.

Please post a profile that will appear on the bottom of your posts so we can get a better picture of your mom's diagnosis. Also what area is your mom live and has she received 2nd opinions. Has she been to a Cancer Center?

Maryanne

Hi Tracy,

Welcome. It sounds as though your mother needs to see the results of the most recent tests and then determine the best plan of treatment. It's really hard to say what is or will be for someone since this disease is such an individual thing - same diagnosis, different chemo, same chemo siffert response...it is amazingly individualistic.

You need to take care of yourself and family in order to be useful to your Mom. She will have times of sadness and stress, but hopefully lots of good times.

Many hospitals offer some counseling for family members. You might ask if your Mom's treatment center has this available or call the American Cancer Society locally. They should be able to assist you in just talking through all the stresses of the situation.

And of cours, if the board can be of help, we are glad do so.

Best wishes,

Mary

Hi Traci: I am sure there are more family members here than those that actually have lung cancer. Your mother's symptoms could be from the cancer or the treatment itself. I assume you mom had had some treatment by now and the CT scan is being done to show what progress has been made. I hope it shows good results.

Don M

Traci,

I just wanted to welcome you to the board. Also, to let you know that you are not alone in your journey. There are many caregivers here that can offer insight on the distress your feeling. Hang in there.... Prayers for you and your family during this time.

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

Hi Traci,

I'm also the daughter of a Mom recently diagnosed with nsclc. Hers is a squamous cell that is wrapped around her L mainstem bronchus and L pulmonary artery. SHe's just finished 2 cycles of chemo and her first 10 radiation treatments.

SHe's 83, and seems to be handling it pretty well.

She did have some episoded of difficulty breathing on exertion early on, but non since the treatment started.

Her cough has also improved.

I don't know if your Mom has started any treatment, but here's hoping that with it begins she will begin to have some relief of her symptoms.

KEep the faith

Jen

Traci -

Welcome...I am sorry that you are here. Let us know the result of the scans...and know that you can "talk" to any of us. Unfortunately, there are many, many caregivers on this site who understand the journey all too well...but many of us want to return the support we received! I am here for you.

Holly