Good and Bad News

asmakis

Just talked to my dad. Met with radiologist MRI came back and showed shrinkage of little spot :) CT showed new growth in chest :(. My mom just started crying when the doctor informed them of the news and my dad just sat there- stunned. I hate this disease, I hate this disease!

Next week my dad my dad meets with the onocologist to schedule a PET scan and to plan next step. From reading my signature, does anybody have an idea of what the next "plan of attack" will be?

Hi,

Once mets are discovered outside the lung, I believe it is stage IV.

I have had brain mets radiated twice with stereoatctic radiation. I have new mets that also need treatment. (No symptoms as yet). I have also had bone mets and have had two spine radiation treatments and one clavicle treatment. Overeall, I am well, work part time and live a normal life with lots of doctor visits and some extra sleep.

It is not necessary that shrinkage occur. Stable is a good result. In my case, I am happy if we control the tumor to avoid new mets. You can also see from my profile that I have been on chemo of one type or anothe since Aug 2005. One doesn't work, we go with another. I have been fortunate to have minimal side effects from most of the drugs I have been given.

Your Dad's doctor will have a plan for the next treatment and he'll have the next one after that. But we all seem to respond differntly. I had no success with Alimta. I had good success with gemcitibyne and carboplatin, but after 11 cycles, it was too hard on my blood counts.

Best of luck. Let us know how things proceed.

Mary

Mary

Amanda:

I'm sorry to hear that the news isn't all good. I really can't comment well on what the next plan of attack may be, but Alimta doesn't seem to work on many folk, so take heart there and don't give up: taxotere appears to have worked well for your dad (50% tumour shrinkage from it is really good result).....perhaps something in a similar chemo line either alone or in combo with something else? Did he tolerate taxotere well during treatment?

Sending prayers and wishing you well. Keep us posted.

Linda

Amanda:

I am sorry your dad had this setback. I have had that stunned feeling more than once, and I am still here. If the primary is under control and there are not a whole lot of mets popping up, I would inquire about killing them with cyberknife. I like the idea of the mets not being there at all rather than controlling them with more chemo. But, keeping the disease stable with chemo, is a sound strategy. I used alimta at my last chemo. If I have to do more chemo, my onc has suggested taxotere.

Here is a link where you can talk to radiation oncologists who practice cyberknife surgery.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

I figure that if I can keep the cancer at bay over the next five years or so, there will be a number of treatments available down the road that may very well be a magic bullet. I hope your dad keeps the cancer at bay too.

Don M

Thank you for all of the responses. My next step is to figure out what might be the next best chemo.. I know, I know it's the oncologists choice, and I do trust him, I just want to make sure the right choice is made. Unfortunately, I don't think Atlima was the right choice, and some how I feel responsible for it. My dad has absolutly no energy and it hurts me to see this. I keep hoping that once he's on the right chemo. then he can begin to fight again.

Amanda -

Please let us know what the plan is....praying for your dad tonight that he receives renewed energy and "fighting spirit." At the end of the day, it is his choice to fight this shi##y disease.

you are doing a great job.

Holly