Bone mets: Just wondering

Nancy O.

When the met is localized, it usually hurts in that area. My dad had really bad shoulder pain, like a pulled muscle or slight fracture and the pain didn't go away after a week...that's how we found that met.

Then when the cancer invaded his skeletal system (which must have happened in the few weeks before he was hospitalized) He felt "tired" all over and achy and just so much more weak than usual.

KatieB

Hi Nancy... I have bone mets in seven different spots, ribs, spine, and hip. I went for a very long time before feeling any pain at all, but when the paid did begin it sure did a good job of it. The onc suggested we start the radiation at that time (this was in June), but gave me the option of trying the Strontium 89 injection if I would rather. He explained that the strontium would go throughout my skeletal system to hit all the cancerous sites, unlike the radiation, which would only be a specified area at a time. I elected to try the Strontium 89 and am very, very glad I did. Within 2 days the pain was gone and as yet has not recurred. For those of you experiencing the pain of bone mets, I would sure suggest you discuss this with your doctor. Best of luck to all of you and God Bless, Mary

Hi, don't know why no chemo. I know Immediately after the surgery I was very grateful for this decision. I went to the radiologist and oncologist and they concurred no further treatment. The oncologist said that he did not think it would do any good and said that if I wanted to waste six months of my life doing chemo and being sick we could go ahead. Well that did not sound good to me. I don't want to waste one minute of my life being sick. It's been over 2 years since surgery and so far so good. I feel it was the right decision so far. I now have chest xrays every 6 months instead of 3 months and a blood check. I will discuss a ct scan next time I see the oncologist. I had a very good surgeon and my primary doctor said that if anyone could get all the cancer it was this guy. I guess he was right, at least for now.

My Buddy has had pain in his left rib area since the day of the operation removing his left lung. They had to cut three ribs to get the lung out and for a number of months they told him the rib pain will hurt for a good long time because of the operation. he constantly rated the pain as a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the worse. They did a bone scan back in 4/03 and per the dr it was mets to two or three ribs I believe. He had 10 radiation treatments but the pain never went away. Today we are told no indication of bone mets from the scan taken the other day but the pain is still the same. I sure don't understand it. Very confusing :?:?Actually I believe I was told one never gets rid of bone mets and if so, what happened to his??????

Nancy,

You are not the only one who did not have "traditional" chemo. My oncologist told me that chemo was not proven to work in cases like mine and would not be worth the side effects (and he'd be paid for giving it to me, so I have to agree if he says it's not needed) but that radiation would be okay if I wanted to be pro-active about it (heck yeah!)... So I did radiation...and a trial of Iressa for suppressive therapy (only 2 of 12 months, too many side effects for me).

I've wondered about the "no chemo" thing since most of the people on the board have completed chemo and radiation...but then, I think about how my oncologist seems to be on top of the "latest" news and feel he's had more experience with cancer than me! 8)

Keep the faith!

Becky

aka Snowflake

When I had my first surgery I went to 2 oncologists seeking chemo. I was turned down by both. I assumed then that being stage I, I was fortunate, and should continue to truck on. 1-1/2 years later I have metastatic lung cancer to my lymphatic system and am re-staged to stage IV.. I will always question what could have been had I received adjuvant chemo following my original sugery.

Hi Dave, it is really hard if not impossible to figure out what the outcome will turn out to be. I knew nothing about lung cancer when I was diagnosed, and I had to trust someone. I was scared probably worse than ever before in my life, so it was up to the doctors and God to get me through. Yeah I still wonder if I should be doing something more to help myself, but just not sure what anymore. I guess if the doctor suggested some type of trial that I might look into it. Good luck to you.

Hi Nance,

Just went through this back in May. Experienced alot of back and shoulder pain that shot down my left arm. Made it real hard to move my arm. Tormented the hell out of me. :x My doc scheduled a bone scan, a bunch of x-rays and another blood test. The bone test showed no cancer( thank God) but did show a bit of arthritis. Like you probable do, I have alot of scar tissue, I think much of the pain comes from that and things just kind of shifting abit. The doc did say the one watch out is for pain that keeps up and gets worse rather than subsides or comes and goes.

Also, like you, I had no chemo or rad. follow-up and I got second opinions. However, that finding to now follow-up just came out in June. I asked my doc about it and he said that in light of the study he would have prescribed it but after 2 years it makes little sense.

I would diffinitly have the pain looked into ASAP. Ohh, I'm now taking Vioxx for the arthritis, works OK

Good luck, God bless and be well

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Thanks for sharing. I don't think I meantioned having pain, but the reality is that my left arm started hurting a couple weeks ago and of course I freak out over every ache and pain. It usually hurts when I wake up in the morning or even in the middle of the night, but subsides after using it for a little bit. Don't think it's bone mets in all honesty, but it certainly can't hurt to ask questions.