Saving Your Life

Nushka

I can't believe it. Unless it was in the first 10 min of the program not ONE WORD was said about lung cancer. I am speechless. I hope they replay it so that I can see that first 10 min ( I doubt it was) said something about us I will write to CNN and voice my concern. They did mention smoking but even that was not related directly to lung cancer.

Sorry guys.

Nina

This is a two night program. It is scheduled to be on Saturday night and Sunday night. I am hoping that there will be more coverage of lung cancer on Sunday night. I cannot believe that the number one killer would not get more air time.

Carol

It will be on 2 more times on sunday. 8 PM Eastern time and 11 pm eastern time. Is worth watching. I caught last 1/2 hour at 230 am this morning and will watch first 1/2 sunday at 8. encourage everyone to watch. Sanjay Gupta and Lance.

The government is planning to cut the budget to the National Cancer Institute and Lance Armstrong is trying to get enough press to stop it. I encourage everyone affected by any cancer to watch the program and to mobilize friends and family to call the congressman and senators. We need to be heard on this issue.

Lilly

I was also disappointed that lung cancer was not mentioned but I'm not surprised. I am glad that Lance Armstrong is trying to get some press because I find that most cancer patients, at least the ones around my community, never talk about it. I do understand why though (you feel like you are all about the c word and nothing else). We need to speak up when we can.

Only one thing really upset me tonight watching the program. The guy from fortune 500 had the audacity to say that the focus should be on treating the early stage cancer victims and prevention. Well, I'm sorry but I'm just too young for the National Cancer Institute and this damn government to give up on because I have Metasisized cancer in my body.

Lilly

At the most, I was glad that CNN at least did a special on cancer to re-direct public awareness (at least it was something other than the war in Iraq). When I heard the MD was going to be Gupta I was disappointed b/c the man refuses to stick his neck out. Once again they talked about only the cancers that have screening available (plus metastasis) I've heard him talk on other health matters and with him it's always the SOS. His first 3 preventions don't smoke. WOW or what a waste. Who wouldn't know that by now. If CNN gets enough feedback maybe they will do more specials and really sink their teeth into it.

What do you consider a mature news service? CNN tried but could do better-much better (they may even get an MD who doesn't spew platitudes). The other news programs will follow them and hopefully each special will be better. I think feedback from the audience will be effective and let them know we are ready to move on to high school.

I know the world is not perfect. I'm just frightened and frustrated. People now live with AIDS and soon people in Africa will live with AIDS with the $'s on the way. People with Cancer hardly are living at least those with advanced cancers. We are invisible to everyone except for others like us.

Lilly

Lilly,

You're certainly not invisible to me.

If my earlier response was somewhat curt it was simply because I'm getting just a little tired of seeing posts that are of no help to anyone except to the person posting -- to gratify their need to dump information on the rest of us. Let's face it, we're all capable of finding this stuff out for ourselves.

But back to you. Keep up the fight and take care not to allow silly tid-bits of redundant information to compromise your strength. Personally, I'm done with the *information* machine.

You CAN beat this.

Bill

This has been a rather contentious thread, and I should know better than to jump in, but...

Perfect world? Fortunately it's not, otherwise I and a few others I know would never have been allowed through the gate! :wink:

Research and media attention, LUNG vs. OTHER CANCERS: It doesn't really bother me that breast and other types of cancer are getting what some would consider a disproportionate amount of the spotlight. There seems to be a good deal of crossover from one subspecialty to the other (a rising tide lifts all ships). If research on colon cancer had been cut in favor of lung cancer a few years back, would a drug such as Avastin be available to us now? I don't know.

Research and media attention, CANCER vs. OTHER DISEASES: It's only natural that someone afflicted with a life-threatening disease such as cancer wants more emphasis placed on finding better treatments or even a cure. But a person who has also battled some uncommon and poorly understood disease, a disease that in the early years totally destroys one's ability to function for several hours at a time with no warning, which therefore takes away one's capacity to make commitments or plan ahead in any meaningful way, which has no known cause and is incurable although not fatal, in which some of the symptoms but not the underlying disease can be treated through trial and error, might have a somewhat different perspective. After dealing with Meniere's Disease for over 12 years and then being diagnosed with NSCLC, I found it refreshing in an odd sort of way to have a disease that the medical community actually knew something about. I found the overall knowledge, ongoing research, and available treatments connected with lung cancer to be vast compared to those for Meniere's. Speaking hypothetically, if last summer at age 71 I'd been given a choice between lung cancer and starting over at the beginning with Meniere's, I believe I'd have chosen the cancer. Does this surprise you?

Aloha,

Ned