A Few Questions

Sonia Owen

Can someone answer a few questions that my Mum and myself would like to know about.

Here in the UK we don't seem to talk about cancer like you do, its still seems to be a very taboo subject. Maybe its a generation thing, not sure. Even the Doctors over here, will not say too much on the subject, and when they told us that Dad had NSCLC, you don't really take things in and never ask much at the time.

Mum has said to me how long do you think Dad has had cancer for? I say to her it just doesnot appear over night. Also she is wondering why he is eating quite well and after losing so much weight he doesnot gain any.He has been a smoker all his life,and will be 76 on Tuesday. You wonder just how long he will be with us, but there is no answer to that one,its a day at a time. When his cross becomes to much to bear he will take it from him I know that.

He can hardly,walk now. Thats why the Doctor would only give him one week of a low dose of radation treatment to try and make his breathing easier and stop him bring up blood, which he is still doing.

He has to see the Doctor in about three's time.

I am so glad to have you all to speak to as we don't have anything like this in the UK, if we have then I have not found it.

Sometimes its just nice to do normal things even for a short time.

God Bless Sonia

hello

lung cancer treatment in the uk on the nhs if very poor. oncologists are restricted in drugs they are allowed to supply and I think many have a mind set that once they read lung cancer they give up. the first oncologist we saw said that there was little to be done he could have some chemo but it did not make much differenced. that was in may 04. he is still here and fit for purpose.

jennie

Sonia, glad you found us as this is a good place to come for information and friendship. I remember when I was very young, my mother would collect in our apartment building for the American Cancer Society. I remember asking her why and her answer was that her mother had died of cancer. She did seem to be a bit ashamed about it and I never knew why. I do think it is a cultural/generational thing, though. When discussing cancer, even people's tone of voice would go to practically a whisper as if it was the person's fault, or maybe by talking about it, somehow, it would spread. Thinking back about it really makes me realize how much that type of attitude contributes to not finding a cure (you know, keep it hidden somewhere.) I hope you find some comfort here and hope Dad has good days ahead.

Joanie ((()))