Tarceva side effects...

spicysashimi

Now that I am pulling out of the fray with the chemotherapy, I'd like to know what to expect when I start Tarceva in a few weeks. Please don't forget to put it into perspective against standard chemo side effects.

Basically, I plan on taking my girlfriend to Mexico sometime in March and I want to know what to expect.

Also, has anyone had BOTH tarceva AND avastin at the same time?

cheers,

aaron

The worst thing with the Tarceva is the rash...now I know what you're thinking...how bad can a rash be? Rash doesn't begin to describe it-- it goes from lizard skin, this dry skin to the "rash" which is really like acne. Now, not everyone gets the rash and some get a mild version of it. John had the sores mainly in his hair. But, when the stuff works it is a miracle drug so the rash is a small price to pay.

The other problem is diarrhea. Mexico shouldn't be a problem--have a great time.

Aaron,

The two most often reported side effects - with a very high percentage of patients experiencing are diahrea and rash. I have been on Tarceva for 6 weeks and have a mild rash. On my face it manifests as very tiny pimples which cannot be seen except close up. The skin feels very dry. On my back, and behind my knees is another rash with slightly larger pimple like marks. These tend to itch a little and be sore a little. Neither itch nor soreness are a problem for me. I have also had no problem with diahrea.

So for me Tarceva has been a piece of cake. In fact I feel great. I won't know for another month if the drug is effective, but I sure hope so. The only difficulty I have had at all is that my nails are very sensitive - sides of fingers and toes. I just use rubber gloves in water and sometimes wear cotton gloves around the house. Friends have been calling me wacko - as in the gloved Michael Jackson.

Some people have been on Tarceva for a year or more. If I could feel like a do now for another year.....

I hope you have success with it and that the side effects are not too bad. Most people seem to think the side effects can be managed.

In Mexico, make sure you stay out of the sun! But have agreat time!

Mary

Hey Aaron,

Congrat's on making it through chemo in one piece!

I have had both Tarceva and Avastin together. Tarceva I have taken daily for a year and Avastin every three weeks for 10 months.

Side effects, I would say it really depends on the person. Side effects I have experience from the Tarceva are a acne rash - sometimes worse than a 14 year old - other days just a little red. Dry, dry itchy skin. There are many lotions, creams, acne meds to help combat the crazy skin. The other problem I have with T is bowel/stomach issues - feel fine 1 minute, the next you are running for the bathroom. While the above isn't the greatest fun, my doctor would fluxuate the doseage at times to give my body a rest, then increase the dose back up again. I usually bounce back and fourth from 100 mg to 150mg.

Avastin I was given every 3 weeks IV for 10 months. The drug has been pretty easy for most with very little side effects. I tolerated it very well for the 1st 6-7 months and then began having really weird side effects and was taken off it. I do know that there are others here that have sailed through the Avastin.

The good news is that I have had a GREAT response to the two drugs together!!

Have fun in Mexico,

Wendy

Hi Aaron,

All I can add is that the rash is the worst thing with Tarceva. I am now on a long term course of antibiotics which has controlled the rash. I lost a lot of hair from the rash, but the worst part was the discomfort. 20 months later Tarceva is still working for me, so it's all been worth it.

Hope it does it stuff for you and enjoy Mexico,

Sharon

Aaron,

I have been on Tarceva from the beginning. I took it right along with my chemo Carboplatin and Taxol. I continue to take 100mg of Tarceva. My side effects have been almost zero. I exercise and drink lots of water. You can check my story for other things I do. Do they do any good? I could not say for sure. I think they do and the FAA just reinstated my medical, so life is good. Tarceva has been great for me. The dosage can make a difference, 150mg seems to be the standard and may cause more side effects, but you can always back off on the dosage. Hope this helps a little.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Thanks Ernie,

I've read your story ... very impressive. It seems like I might get a rash. I suppose I could have the doc drop it down a few MGs during my vacations.

Thanks for your congratulations on finishin chemotherapy. Honestly, the last 5 months have been THE hardest in my life. I am now in week 2 of my last cycle (#7) and I feel better and better everyday. There's only one way to go from now on.

love,

aaron

Congratulations on finishing chemo! Huge accomplishment.

I've been on Tarceva for 10 months and suffered from the Tarceva pox in the beginning. I still take a Minocycline pill and apply clindamycin cream at bedtime even though I haven't seen any signs of the rash in months. Superstitious, I guess. Never had a Tarceva-related diarrhea problem.

I have felt great since being on Tarceva. My doc and I are going to talk about taking me off it if the next set of scans in early February are good. I'm a little superstitious about that, too, but it would be nice to lose the 3 remaining prescriptions I'm taking. Life without prescription drugs ... imagine!

Enjoy Mexico.

Trish

I am currently taking Tarceva and have for 21 months now. I can tell you what has worked for me and the rash issues I have had.. Also, Everything that I am doing I got an approval from my oncologist first. I recommend every one do that so nothing will interfere with your current treatment or health..

I have not had a severe breakout in about 8 months. Since that time I have changed my diet switched to other products for my face and skin.

I decided to stop eating meat and switched to a macrobiotic diet... I do eat fish however.

My face will usually clear up in a day or two....I also take a cod liver oil supplement by Nordic Naturals, I used olive oil to lubricate my skin and actually took baths with olive oil in it. Just the kind I bought at the grocery store... I used some Alba products and also Burt's Bees and found that the Burt's Bees Carrot Day Cream worked really well to help control... I recently have switched to a lotion called "Precipitation Extra Dry" which can be found at Origins. It has been amazing.. The only problem with the lotions is that organic or not they have chemicals that burn when your face is already broken out. I use them for maintenance and to keep the rash away..

I have tried many, many, many products and spent hundreds of dollars and so far this is what has worked best. I know Eucerin is a favorite to many but it did not work with me . It just masked the problem and left me really greasy. I needed to find a way to fix it.. I still get a rash but it is minimal and really only occurs when I mess up and eat meat or dairy (Unfortunately) or don't care for my skin as I should. But, in 8 months it has not been bad at all. I will try to post a current picture so you can see. Hope this helps!!!!! I totally agree with Dr. West when he says that the side effects are chronic and should be dealt with in that fashion. Dr. West rocks!!!!!

GOD BLESS!!

Jamie

Was on Tarceva for about 16 months and had great results with it. Did get the rash but it went away after awhile, also got diarrhea--dropped it down to 100MG and that took care of that and still had great results. When it works it works. Took it once a day and had no problems with any of my counts which is another nice thing about it. You can go to tarceva.com and there is an 800 number you can call to ask questions. Go with the flow. Good Luck!

"spicysashimi"]Now that I am pulling out of the fray with the chemotherapy, I'd like to know what to expect when I start Tarceva in a few weeks. Please don't forget to put it into perspective against standard chemo side effects.

Basically, I plan on taking my girlfriend to Mexico sometime in March and I want to know what to expect.

Also, has anyone had BOTH tarceva AND avastin at the same time?

cheers,

aaron

Congratulations on completing this step of your journey. My husband has been on Tarceva 150mg since Dec, 2006 and is experiencing moderate diarrhea (previous colon cancer - lost 2ft of colon) so has lots of experience with it. He takes Lomotil 2.5mg and it usually does a good job of controlling it. So far no rash. He was told if the rash appeared to get Metrogel 1% available only by rx. He is in a clinical trial and may be getting Avastin. He is having a lot of joint and bone pain that could be a side effect of Avastin and nosebleeds could be a side effect also. He has had no nosebleeds but he cut his finger and it bled more than usual. Nothing serious, just a first aid event. The pain is the major issue for him right now. We used to go to Mexico often and I would take Lomotil with me even if there was no cancer issue, it just does such a great job of controlling diarrhea. Good Luck to you and don't let this cancer beast slow you down.