Second Opinions and starting treatment

palves

I'm not sure how to proceed with this.

Do we start whatever the 1st Dr suggests and then go for a 2nd, or do you hold off and get the 2nd opinion first. Will the work w/ Dr 1 invalidate anything Dr 2 can do ?

Just scared that it will take more time to get the 2nd opinion and don't want to wait to start treatments. The tumor is already 11 cm big and into the chest wall and nodes.

We have a meeting w/ the 1st Dr tomorrow to discuss PET scan results, staging and treatment. From what I kow brain and bone scans were clear.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paula

Hi Paula,

I would start with the first doctor and get the process started. Then go for a second opinion. That's what I did. As it turned out they were both in agreement with each other. It was more of a peace of mind for me to get the second opinion. I’ve stayed with my original doctor since day one. She’s the best. I also research everything I can find on the Internet. Knowledge is the key to help us thru our journey. Peace and God Bless.

Rich

When I went for my second opinion, the doctor was much caring and cognizant of my needs and concerns. I ended up staying with the second doctor and still am with her today. Throughout my chemo, she was very caring and concerned about my well being. The other thing she does is acknowledge my wife, by asking questions of my wife and in turn answering any questions my wife may have. Both my wife and trust this doctor very much. Also this doctor specializes in lung cancer, whereas the previous doctor did not have that much experience with lung cancer.

Paula,

Don't hold back on starting treatments. A second opinion or even a third is always good, as you may want a surgical option and have to scout around for a thoracic oncological surgeon who is comfortable with something large. My tumor also had invaded the chest wall, and was rather large -- 14 cm-- but there are surgeons who are capable of this, and there are chemo/radiation treatments that may well kill the tumor on site. You have to start someplace.

Good luck to your dad on starting treatment, and I think it's great that you're so proactive about his treatment options. Good job!

Warmly,

MaryAnn

My 2 cents....

Definitely proceed with the first doctor, find out what the treatment plan is - don't waste any time!! You can be armed with that knowledge when you go and see a doctor for a second opinion, chances are you'll have more questions because you'll be more prepared. From my experience, they aren't going to start treating you for at least a week anyway, because you'll have another talk about radiation and/or chemo.

Remember!! Surgery is your best chance for a cure - try to see what kind of options you have there. If you state your city/state I bet that there are some people out here that may be able to direct you in the right place possibly.

Good luck!!

Thanks for all your suggestions. We are in NJ. We had our initial consult w/ the Onc who ordered PET scan, brain MRI and bone scan. It is at least stage 3 - non-operable is what we were told. We hope its Stage 3 so we can try to shrink it and operate later. I did em w/ someone from thie board who lives very close to me. So I have an idea of where she has gone and whom she has seen.

Wish us luck.

Paula