Nephew's Grandson

Don Wood

This is not related to lung cancer, but it is related to my state of grief. Lucie died on Sept. 19 of last year. Two months later, just before Thanksgiving, my nephew's 15-year-old grandson committed suicide. They live in New Orleans, my hometown. It has been a horrendous struggle trying to get through both these events and on with life.

I could not go home to New Orleans. I was petrified. Finally, I realized I needed to go home and was needed there. I spent this past weekend there with my relatives. It was very hard but very, very right for me to be there. While there, I was shown the devastated parts of New Orleans from Katrina. They are cleaned up a bit now but there is still a lot of loss. It was like seeing my history wiped out. But, it was time for me to experience it and face it.

Right now, I am reeling from so many things that I find it very hard to respond here like I want to. So, I am still here, but probably more in the reading mode than in the responding mode. I do need your thoughts and prayers. You will be in mine. Don

You just sit back and regroup, Don. We will be able to FEEL you sitting there reading. Let us prop you up for a while while you take much needed time to just 'be', okay? You know we are loving you there in Texas. Take the time needed.

Love,

Kasey (and Fred too, of course!)

I am so sorry for all the loss Don. Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you.

My 11 yr old started penpalling with a girl in LA who lost her home and everything from hurricane Rita. We send gifts and letters but I know that cant compare to her loss of home and pets and belongings. It must have been heartwrenching for you to see. I am so sorry.

Dear Don,

I can't imagine the loss you felt seeing your home town in a condition like that - it must have been quite devastating for you to witness. No matter how many pictures we see, or television we watch, I am sure it pales in the reality of being there. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. You are such a salvation to us all here, you take the time you need to regroup and get strong. We are here for you! Love, Sharon

Don

For the small amount of time I have spent on this website I have found you to be very supportive and informative to all those you have conversed with. I am sorry you have had so many hard times. I pray that you may feel now the same comfort and support that you have given to everyone else.

Heather

Sending Prayers and thoughts for you and the rest of the Family. I can't imagine but Can send a prayer for strength and comfort. Take your time and just dp what feels right to you for now. Understand. Best wishes for better tomorrow.

Don:

Just knowing that you're here in spirit is enough....even that, well, you need to do what you need to do for you right now -- this time of grief feels odd and I've got to say, most of the time, I'm not sure exactly how to "be." Sounds like you are in a similar state.

I think you captured it really well by saying that it's like seeing your history being wiped out with the events you've experienced -- me too (too long a story to tell), and I don't know what to do with that either, exactly.

You're a much more seasoned member here than me, but you have my heart and my prayers....all the best I could offer to support you.

Much love and many hugs to you Don,

Linda

Dear Don,

I will definitely include you in my prayers. There's just so much hard stuff sometimes..... but, we just gotta make it through.

Here's a book that might help: Second Guessing God by Brian Jones. It was given to me on December 22 by good friends who knew I was literally falling apart because of one crises after another coming at me faster than I could deal with them. It truly brought me out of the depths of despair.

Hang in there, big guy! I know how hard all this is.

Love,

Peggy

Don, I really know you need some Don time to reflect and to regroup your feelings.

You have answered more posts on here than anybody else. One thing you are NOT to do is to feel any kind of guilt that you are giving support or answereing posts like you have. You are human and sometimes we just have to step back for our own well-being. After all you have to heal in order to heal.

You are very special to us and I just want you to take as much time as you need. You have had a double tragedy and this has to effect you emotionally. Beside that, the devestation you witnessed when you visited a place that is now so different than you remembered it to be. The hurt must have been tremendous. But just like New Orleans is healing you will too.

Take time to heal. We aren't going anywhere, we will be here.

Please know that I am sending prayers your way, as I feel you could use some now.

Take time my friend as long as you need.

Maryanne