Question about vomiting with carbo/taxol

Andrea S.

Yesterday, my mom got the upsetting news that she is being taken off the study she has been on due to toxicity levels. She is extremely upset by this, even though we tried to reassure her that the risks/benefits of the chemo need to be kept in check.

Anyway, she was then given a dose of carboplatin and taxol yesterday, which she has been getting since April/May 2003 (along with the study drug) and has tolerated well. However, she woke up last night with severe nausea and vomiting. She has vomited 4 times since last night and hasn't been able to keep anything down. I'm really worried about her and it is so hard to see her sick like this.

My question is - could the taxol/carbo make her sick, even though she's tolerated it well in the past? Or is it something else? Has anybody else experienced this? I really appreciate your help.

Andrea,

I'm sorry your mother is upset about being taken off the study. She may either be very anxious about all this, and having to adjust to a different mix of chemicals, and she may just have the flu. Call the oncologist and talk to the nurses there, they can prescribe good effective medicines for nausea. I took one at home several times a day, can't remember the name except it was Z-----, and also was premedicated for nausea before chemo with atavan and ethyol. It was effective, at least for me.

I know I did get very nauseated after any activity (like PT).

Ask the doctor, he can most likely help make her more comfortable.

I hope your mom feels better soon,

MaryAnn

Mary Ann, thanks for your supportive words and help. I did call the oncology dept. and spoke to 2 different people (1 nurse and the study coordinator). They weren't sure whether it was a bug or if it was a reaction to the chemo. Luckily, she did get a few crackers and some fluid down later and seemed somewhat better yesterday. Thanks for your advice.

Zofran is a strong anti-emetic and then compazine is a good one too. Most Drs will give you scripts for these if you ask. Then keep them for times when you get nauseated. They work great. Also there is a suppository-given rectally called phenergan. Ask about these too.

My Mom had bouts with nausea from carbo/taxol. There is a drug called Anzment that is fairly new and very effective. I also found another drug which is very new called Emend that enhances any anti nausea drug. Both drugs are pretty expensive and may need to be approved through insurance. I know that the Emend was just FDA approved in March of this year.

My Mom took both those chemos and the only time she got sick they found she had pnemonia. Make sure she doesn't become dehydrated. We found that my Mom was able to tolarate (and did not taste terrible to her) were children's pedeolyte (sp) popcycles.